What Lies Beneath

Better Then Nothing.

I was thrilled that Evie wasn’t really mad at me. I hadn’t really been homesick before, so I didn’t really know what it felt like. As long as I could text, call, or write to Kyle I was set. Sure I missed him, and sleeping in my own bed. But this was an adventure, and I would treat it as such.

After Evie released me from the hug, I grabbed the overnight Always pads, and set off to find Sean again. He was in the snack isle, looking at popcorn. I tossed the pads into the cart, and took my place at the helm. I loved pushing the cart. I liked to hop along on one foot and push the cart. It got a little tricky when there were more people in the store, but I had lucked out today, it seemed.

“Did ya find what you were looking for?” He asked, still looking over the different boxes of popcorn.

“Yup,” I smiled, “And you’ll never guess what happened.”

He laughed, “Do I want to know? You were looking at feminine hygiene products.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, “Evie apologised for getting mad at me. We’re cool now.”

“Oh, that’s good,” He said monotonously, as he carried on with the popcorn, “I’m just gonna go with the extra butter one.”

He placed the box into the cart, and started to walk down the isle. I just followed behind him. I figured he would have been a little happier.

“Sooo…” I scooted up beside him, “when are you gonna apologise to Evie and Rob?”

He exhaled heavily through his nose, “I don’t really feel the need to apologise to either of them. Rob was badmouthing you, all I did was stick up for you. And then he started the fight with me. I have nothing to be sorry for.”

That was true, I wasn’t really all that pleased with the way the guys went about defending Evie and I. But that is what they were doing.

“Okay, I guess I can accept that… but what about Evie?”

He chuckled, “you can accept it?”

I nodded, as we stopped next to the cookies, “I don’t really condone the way you guys went about it. But you were standing up for what you thought was right. I can’t argue with that.”

“Alright… as for Evie, she just rubs me the wrong way. Ya know? Like, she gets whatever she wants, is waited on hand and foot, can do no wrong. You can’t even look at her the wrong way without getting the shit kicked out to you, essentially. In a nutshell, she just isn’t someone I can get along with.”

I sighed, “Okay, I hear what you’re saying… but you were quite rude to her. Just because you don’t like someone doesn’t make that okay. And all of that is really everyone else’s doing.”

He chuckled, “you sound like a shrink. Do you really want me to apologise?”

I nodded my head, yes. He slightly tilted his head to the side and just looked at me, sighing. He looked so adorable I almost completely forgot that we were having a serious conversation, and just got lost in him. I could feel the butterflies start up in my stomach.

“Okay,” he agreed, as he put a box of Oreos in the cart, “only because you want me to.”

“Hay, guys,” Jamie called, as he came towards us, arms full of bags of frozen vegetables, “Do you think this’ll be enough?”

I laughed, “More than enough.”

He dropped them happily into the cart, “I am glad to be rid of them, my nipples could cut diamonds right now.”

He shivered, then puffed his chest out towards me, showing off his very erect nipples. I couldn’t help but laugh, as I pushed him away from me.

“Yes, they’re wonderful. Now put them away and help us finish up,” I smiled as I began to push the cart again.

Jamie looked down proudly at his chest, “aren’t they though? What’s up with you grumpy gills?”

“Nothing,” Sean shrugged, “come on, lets get this paid for so we can leave.”

Jamie and I tagged after Sean to the checkout. Sean was in charge of the money, so he paid as Jamie and I bagged everything and put it back in the cart. There was no way we could carry it all back to the van.

I jumped onto the front of the cart, as Jamie pushed us out, jumping on the back as soon as we were out of the building. We rolled all the way to the van, almost toppling over once. Sean just laughed as Jamie and I screamed in terror. Sean opened up the back of the van, and we piled everything in.

Evie and Rob came out a few minutes after, and did the same as we had. Sean was sitting in the driver’s seat, relaxing. I was sitting shotgun, talking to Jamie about my old job. Sean started the van, as Evie and Rob climbed in. This would be much less awkward then the ride to the store was.

I turned around in my seat and buckled up. I was waiting for Sean to apologise, as he pulled out of the parking spot and began our journey back to the buses. He just stayed silent the whole way there. Jamie kept a steady stream of conversation going with everyone else though.

We all set to work grabbing bags. I figured this would be the perfect time for Sean to apologise, both Rob and Evie were here. But he just stayed silent. I decided I needed to take things into my own hands now.

I gave him a small jab in the ribs and gave him ‘the look’. He sighed before turning to Evie. He looked back over to me, eyes asking if he really needed to do this. I just nodded, yes.

“I’m sorry Evie,” and with that he walked off to our bus, arms full with grocery bags.

That wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, but exactly what I was expecting. It was better then nothing though. Evie looked a little shocked, she probably wasn’t ever expecting to hear those words come out of his mouth. Rob just rolled his eyes. You think he would have been happy to have any sort of an apology from Sean to Evie. He knew Seans feelings towards her, Rob and Sean were best friends after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hunters outfit