What Lies Beneath

No funny stuff

After sending Bryan over to Evie, I retreated to my bunk. I just wanted some alone time to figure things out. I changed into my PJ’s and climbed in, closing the curtain behind me. I flicked on the little overhead light, and opened my book.

Zacky started to text me after a while, and soon after my brother started up too. Zacky distracted me, and Kyle got vented to. Both were helping me in their own way. I didn’t really want people to know about kissing Sean. I trusted Jamie and Evie to keep it to themselves. They seemed like the type of people who would do it, even if I hadn’t asked them to. At least I really hoped they would.

Around supper time, I crawled out of my bunk to grab some crackers. I was kinda hungry, but not enough to leave the bus and eat with everyone else. I just took the crackers and peanut butter to my bunk. Closed the world out again with the curtain, and happily ate and watched movies on Netflix with my laptop. Zacky and Kyle still texting me.

Zacky seemed a little concerned that I hadn’t gone to eat with everyone, but let it go when I said I just didn’t feel up to it. I was happy he wasn’t one of those people who pushed things. I would talk to him about it, when and if I felt the need to. But that time wasn’t now.

As time went by, I heard everyone slowly come on to the bus. Most stayed at the front, Jamie went to the back and started up the PS3. I knew it was him because he hit my curtain on the way by, trying to scare me. He wasn’t successful though.

Halfway through the world war two documentary I was watching, the bus roared to life. And soon after it lurched forward. I didn’t mind the feeling of the bus moving too much, I guess it really bothered some people though. Everyone continued to do their thing as we drove on to our next destination. I could hear as one by one everyone climbed into their bunks.

About a half hour passed, I had picked my book back up again. I was starting to fall asleep, but I was determined to finish my chapter. I had always been an avid reader. Nothing could make everything go away like a good book. At least not for me. I was one of those people who would rather read a book, then watch a movie. I loved using my own imagination.

As my eyes started to droop closed, my curtain was pulled open. I jumped, not expecting it at all, my heart pounded in my ears from the shock. Sean looked in sheepishly at me, a small smile on his lips.

Without a word he climbed in with me. I shuffled over so he had enough room, marking my page as I did. I was honestly a little confused, and slightly upset from earlier. But I assumed he had come to talk, so I was willing to hear him out.

“So…” I began after a minute or so of silence.

“Hunter, I’m sorry for taking off earlier,” he began, looking me in the eyes, “I just really needed to think things through. I’m quite fond of you.”

I could see he was sincere from the look in his eyes, “it’s okay, I understand.”

He sent me a smile that just made me melt, “does that mean I get to spend the night?”

My stomach flipped. He wanted to spend the night with me! I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks, as a blush spread over my face. It was crazy how easily this man made me feel like a nervous little girl.

“I suppose that would be alright,” I gave him a look, and pointed my finger at him, “no funny stuff though.”

He chuckled, “deal.”

With that he reached over me, and clicked off the light. I couldn’t even put the feeling into words when he wrapped his arms around me. I had this amazing sense of calm, like nothing could touch me, I was safe with Sean.

This was going to be a wonderful night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry this has taken me so long to write. Especially to my co-author. I’ll try my best to do better.