Status: Slow but I want to write it damn it! Comment and subscribe!

All the Lights on You

Keeping Pace

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠


Christine's fingers seemed to nervously tap as she stared at Brendon sitting across from her at Amanda's kitchen table. His mask discarded once more near him. He seemed composed. Never taking his eyes off of her. Amanda was in between them drinking her tea, being their medium by tying loose ends of stories together. Christine listen to Brendon talk about his love for music and how he'd started young.

Brendon continued to speak about Amanda. The two had met when Brendon was merely 17. He had no music lessons but wanted to branch out. It was summer when Brendon joined the theatre group. Smalls towns didn't have much life. It was a way to keep himself out of trouble while pursuing what he loved.

“I'm sorry,” Christine's voice still shaking, “But I still can't believe you're alive. I have the article about your death.”

Brendon leaned back in his chair trying to relax, “You're telling me. Amanda had a copy I read months later.”

“But why?” Christine leaned forward like a curious child, “You said someone tried to kill you. Why?”

“I still wonder that myself. Part of me knows why.” Brendon starred off into space, “Call it jealousy. Call it hatred. Call it whatever you want but I don't think it matters as much why anymore.”

“Are you sure someone wanted you dead? I mean the staged collapsed. They said they couldn't find a reason other then damaged beams.”

Brendon stared inquisitively as Christine put two and two together. Of course if it was going to look like an accident if someone intentionally wanted to kill Brendon. The next question was who would do such a thing? Murder planned like this was intentional. Stemmed from hatred at and determination. Christine felt her stomach sink knowing someone had gotten away with this if this story was telling was true.

“You don't believe him.”

“I don't know,” Christine's voice was shaky as she looked at Amanda, “If someone did this, they got away with it and are still out there.”

“Exactly,” Amanda's tea cup now left her hands and placed on the table as she sat up straight, “That is why it's so crucial that you don't tell anyone he's alive. It could do more harm than good.”

Christine's voice was quiet, “Do you know who did this to you?”

Brendon nodded, “I have the proof. However I'm waiting for the right moment.”

Christine was in disbelief. Brendon needed to get out there and contact the police, tell them everything. This could be the news story of the century if he had the proof. It could change everything that had been written in this last few years of history. His family would be able to have closure in a way of a happy ending.

“We're waiting for the right moment Christine. This moment is upon us.” Amanda responded as if to read Christine's mind, “We need to know if we have your utterly complete trust. Letting you know all of this could ruin everything we've worked for.”

“You have my word.”

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠


Music could be heard from the entrance of the theatre. Christine had come early to rehearsal today. It had been a couple weeks since her discussion with Brendon and she wanted to see him again. It was pattern for him to go on stage. Brendon tended to pull the grand piano from backstage to the floor and play several pieces. If she was lucky enough she could hear him sing his own work.

Brendon continued to play the piano piece with ease and comfort. He could hear the door click shut as it echoed in the room. There was no panic in him as he watched Christine walk into the light illuminating the front few rows of seats. He had become accustomed to meeting her like this. She stared up at him with curious eyes as she leaned against the railing of the orchestra pit.

“The whole world is asleep and here you are.”

“And here I am.” Christine grinned starring at Brendon's mask once again hiding hid face, “I couldn't sleep. I figured I could keep you company if you wanted.”

The piece of music Brendon played had started to taper out, “I do most of my work at this time because I can't sleep. I'm glad I'm not the only one.”

“Don't let me distract you then.”

Brendon started another piece and returned his focus to the keys in front of him. So far he had trusted her. He knew the next crew member in the building wasn't going to be for another three or four hours so it was alright for the two of them to be here. Christine would keep him company and then run off to Amanda's before anyone noticed. He was honored that she would be willing to see him. Brendon still knew to be on edge, however the time he spent with Christine was becoming something he craved.

“I wanted to talk to you actually. You seem to be having trouble with some of those notes yesterday.”

Christine felt the color rush to her face, “Yeah, unfortunately I like to pretend I'm a soprano.”

“Have you ever had lessons?”

She could still feel the heat on her face as she shook her head no. Of course this conversation would be awkward she told herself. She shouldn't be surprised he had been listening to their rehearsals. She'd caught him several times on the catwalk. He was most likely going up there to avoid people and watch how the performance is coming along. Christine felt embarrassed. She knew she didn't have a powerful voice especially compared to the man in front of her.

“I'll take that as a 'no' then.”
“Look, not all of us are naturally talented like you.”

Brendon scoffed, “This didn't come naturally honey. I worked hard for this.”

Brendon removed his hands from the keys and motioned her over to him. She pushed off the barricade and walked her way up to him. She stood next to the piano bench and Brendon played a random note. Brendon made eye contact and played the note again. Christine looked in confusion as he played the note once more.

“Match it.”

The note was played again and Christine nervously let out note similar in pitch. Brendon smirked and played the note next to it and waited for Christine to match it once more. The two continued this for several note before Brendon playing the small scale he had created. Christine sung the notes the second time through the scale.

Brendon played the scale once more with his left hand and reached out to jab Christine in the stomach. The motion had caught Christine off guard and caused her to let out a rush of air before moving away from Brendon. She starred dumbfounded as he let out a light laugh.

Brendon placed his own hand on his chest below his lungs, “You feel that? That's where the sound should be coming from. You're not breathing as deep as you should. First rule in music. Common knowledge if you will.”

“I'm well aware of that but was it necessary?”

“Of course.” Brendon smiled, “I have to teach you the basics first if I'm going to teach you anything.”

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠