Back Off, I Bite!

Jade

I woke up feeling rather depressed as everything began sinking in.

I’m alone.

Sitting up in bed I brought my knees close and hugged then wondering what my next move should be. There was no way I was going to stay here and share a room with this guy, but there was no way for me to return home. I guess that only leaves Ralf and Marcel’s place. Standing up I scavenged through whatever his name is clothes and dawned on some jeans, a shirt, and some socks. Swiping a hat, plus his shoes and jacket I left the room and made my way out of the house before anyone was up. The property was huge; it must have taken me twenty minutes to find the main road. Though I didn’t walk along it.

No, I was in the tress jumping from branch to branch till I saw the town. Stopping just before the tree line met civilization I jumped to the ground and fixed myself up. Taking a deep breath I walked into town towards the apartment complex where my only friends live. As it happens to be Ralph is the local Warlock and Marcel is a very young sage. He’s blind as can be, but he fights like he can see with twenty-twenty vision. Now that I think of it, I wonder if Marcel knew that the attack on my house was going to happen. That’s something we can talk about. Walking up to the building I let myself in and took the elevator up to the sixth floor where their apartment is.

The doors opened with a ding on the second floor letting a person enter. The person wore a hoodie covering their face as he or she curled into the corner of the elevator hunched over. As the elaborator resumed going up I could hear a hush male voice whispering fast words from the corner making me uneasy. Glancing out of the corner of my eye I noticed whoever it was watching me, or at least facing me since I couldn’t see their face. But I sure could feel their gaze. My skin crawled as I looked back at the numbers of the floors passing.

“It’s her, I know it’s her. She’s the one. Hush we’ll scare her off. But the master wants her. Yes he wants her dearly. Shall we take her? Master will reward us greatly. “ I looked at the person as they stood up straight suddenly towering over me only just a little bit. Red eyes glowed from under the hoodie as a long tongue slithered out in a wicked grin. I could hear it begin to heavily pant as drool spilled to the floor from its mouth, ”We shall bring you to master.” it roared. The doors opened on the fifth floor and I ran out with it on my heels.

Running down the hall I felt the floor shake with the demon’s incredible weight as it ran after me. I kept yelling ‘master’ as it constantly swiped at my legs for me to fall over. Though by some miracle I managed to keep my footing. I made my way to the door leading to the stairs when an enormous pain shot through my back sending me flying through the wooden door. Landing on the stairs I groaned in pain when hot breath moistened my face. Opening my eyes I stared at the creature as its tongue slithered about its face, licking its gray contorted features.

“We’re taking you,” it said and stretched its gaping mouth as if it was going to swallow me whole when suddenly its head exploded. Black liquid splashed all over the walls and onto the clothes I stole while the beings body turned into gray sand falling onto the floor. The hoodie and jeans fell on me at I remained frozen in my spot wondering what the hell happened.

“Damn it Jade,” I heard Ralph say as a hand grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet, “we don’t have time for this.” There was a loud roar coming up the stairs, “They’re like cockroaches!” I heard him yell,

“We have to leave,” Marcel said beside me and pulled me down the stairs with Ralph behind us. “Don’t waste your magic trying to kill them all!” he yelled back at Ralph whose black hair seemed to shimmer with gold. His whole body seemed to glow, like you could visibly see the magic flowing through him. Marcel-with a very firm grip on my hand- practically dragged me down the stairs when a black blur came out of nowhere and sent Marcel into the wall.

Taking a step back I watched as the demon’s head exploded like the one earlier sending more black liquid on me. Ralph closed his hand and then grabbed my wrist as Marcel emerged from the whole in the wall. Even with his grayish white eyes I could tell how mad he was at letting the demon land a blow on him. “You should have seen that,” Ralph said and Marcel scoffed at the no pun intended jab. With Ralph now holding onto my wrist the three of us ran down the rest of the stairs to the street where his car was parked along the curb. “Fuck!” Ralph yelled noticing his mulled tires, and I mean mulled. There was a crash and glass fell onto the sidewalk making us look up to the apartment windows. A girl with long black hair stood on the ledge looking at us very intently as she locked eye with me. There was something about her that I couldn’t quite put my finger on, but all I could tell is that she was powerful.

“There you are!” I heard someone yelled as my arm was yanked back making me go face to face with what’s-his-face that I stole clothes from. “I’ve been looking all over for you.” He started taking me towards his car that he parked halfway on the curb.

“Let Go!” I yelled when Ralph and Marcel hushed me and started pushing the two of us to the car. They pushed me and the guy in the back as Marcel climbed into the passenger’s seat, and Ralph took spot in the driver’s seat.

“Who said you could drive my car?!” Ralph quickly put the car in reverse jerking everyone around, “Hey!”

“Just shut up!” Marcel yelled and then Ralph peeled down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment!