Starting What Should Have Been Ended

Finding a new town.

“Lily, wake up!”
“Huh? What is it Sophia?” She looked so beautiful. She always does, her long blonde hair and green eyes stand out so much against her pale face.
“You’re talking in your sleep, it’s a bit creepy.”
“I am? Sorry.”
“Thinking about your family again?”
“Mmm, yeah, worthless bastards.”
“Just as well you’re not crazy hey?”
“Yeah, just as well. Should we get up?”
“Probably, since we’re out in the open, easy targets. Do you have an interest in Brodie, Lil?”
“No more than just friends, why?”
“He’s just a bit cute, that’s all.” She whispered that so softly, I could hardly hear her. “Uhm, we should go and wake the others now.”
After waking everyone and watching Leo pee on Blade, to wake him up. We set off in groups of two, to find something to nibble on for breakfast. Blade, however, went to wash his face with Chiara as his buddy. Leo became my buddy as we were looking for breakfast. Leaving Sophia and Brodie as partners who looked for tools to make a fire, or more weapons.
“You know Lil, I really don’t like Blade, I think he likes Chiara and she’s way too good for him. I mean her short, curly red hair and all her little freckles, against his dark, spiked hair with black eyes of doom. They just shouldn’t be.”
“I don’t think Chiara likes him anyway.”
“She doesn’t?! I mean, really, why not?”
“I think she prefers the gentle guys, not the dickheads.”
“Oh, okay, thank you Lily. I think I see a lake, would you like to see if there’s any fish?”
“Sure thing Leo.”
We walked slowly towards the lake, always on the lookout. Even though we both doubted we’d see anything dangerous. As we neared closer to the lake, we saw that it was abundant with life. Leo grabbed the nearest stick and walked quietly into the water. He must have seen something of major interest because he speared down into the water with such force that the water around him was red and murky. He soon walked out of the lake, dripping wet and soggy but with three fish on the end of the stick. I laughed at him and we both set off together, back to the camp.
We got the fish, Sophia and Brodie got lots of sticks and had a small fire in the making. While Chiara and Blade supposedly foraged for the vegies but they didn’t do an overly good job of that. Leo was fuming at Blade for getting so much time alone with Chiara, so I tapped him on the shoulder and told him to chill out about it. Which he did after a few more minutes of muttering words to himself. All I could make out was, “worthless dickhead” and something that rhymed with “ducking glass mole.“
After we cooked the fish over the fire and had a simple yet fulfilling breakfast, we set off again. I decided to spend my time walking with Blade, to give Leo some time alone with Chiara, which he did enjoy immensely.
“So, Blade, hello.”
“Hello Lily, how are you doing today? After leaving behind your home and your life.”
“I’m happy about it, to be away from my psycho possessed mother and my murdering father. I just miss Andrew a lot. He shouldn’t have died the way he did.”
“I agree, he was a good kid. I don’t think I’ll miss my old life at all, it was a real hell. My parents were never sober and were always drugged up. Dad never took a liking to me and was always out to hurt me. “
“A lot of people think you killed your parents, I can see now that you didn’t.”
“Why would you assume that I didn’t? I hurt a lot of people in my family to get back at my parents. They used to shoot at me and on numerous occasions, mum tried to stab me in the night, she even tried poisoning me, always saying I was a waste of space and money. So she wanted me gone. Couldn’t get rid of me though.” He said the last bit with a cheesy grin, something I never thought I’d see on him.
“So did you, or did you not kill them?”
“Did. Only recently.”
I was stunned and shocked that he admitted he killed his own family to me. I was horrified. He could tell because he stopped walking and just looked at me.
“What Lily? You shot your mum. It’s not like this is any different. She tried to hurt people, my mum tried to hurt me. It’s no different. I did it painlessly. I just poisoned her drink, she passed out and died, as quick as that. It was better for her. She was killing herself anyway. I just, sped it along. Would have been easier if dad didn’t notice me trying to do it. He hit me Lily. The abuse I received at home was horrible.”
He showed me cuts and scars across his chest, neck and arms. I gasped in horror as I saw bright red slashes from what looked like knives and one almost looked like the slashings of a chainsaw.
“Blade, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”
“No one knew, Lily. Dad tried to kill me the day I poisoned mum. I felt proud of him that he was so in love with her that he would do anything to avenge her death. But he’s up there with her now. Don’t look at me with disgrace, you shot and stabbed your family. It’s no different. It’s better off for all of us that my parents no longer are alive.”
“Did you, bury them? I mean, after yesterday’s episode of drama... just a good idea to be cautious.”
“I did. I may hate them, but they deserve respect. I said a couple of prayers and laid them to rest in a deep enough hole. Hope I don’t see them again soon. So, tell me a bit about you and your story.”
I sighed. “It’s always been to do with mum. She was so beautiful, with her long blonde hair and chestnut eyes and her small figure. But dad was so religious and she was so, not. It was hard. She wouldn’t enter a church, she refused to say prayers and she never read the bible. Even from a young age. Dad finally gave up going to church and prayers before meals. He would often come in and pray with Andrew and I at night when we were younger. We were a happy family once. But as Andrew reached teenage years, things turned downwards for him. He got bullied in high school and he resorted to self harm on most occasions. Since I was only ten when he was thirteen, I never really understood why he wanted to harm himself so much. I’d often come home from a friend’s house and find him on the floor, cutting away. Chunks of skin lying upon the floor. I used to cry and he’d cry with me. It was tough on mum and dad, since they’d brought us both up so well. Dad went back to prayers before meals and going to church. Mum went on some occasions, especially when things were tough on Andrew. She prayed with us at night a lot. After a while of going to church with Dad on Sunday’s. She threw it all in and started to follow Satan or the Devil. She used to base a lot of her life on the devil. It started out quietly. We didn’t notice the difference in her at first. By the time I was fourteen and in high school. I really noticed the changes. She used to stab anything she could and she would hurt us if we got bad grades. I remember her chasing Andrew out of the house once with a butcher knife. It was horrifying. Dad got into the pot he used to smoke it daily to ease his nerves on what mum would do.”
“Lily. We should stop and eat it’s almost midday and my feet are aching!” Said Chiara from further behind.
“Alright Chi, we’ll find a place to rest. Everyone, weapons out. We need to be cautious in this new area! I’ll tell you the rest of the story later on maybe.”
We sat down on a nearby picnic ground that seemed to be in pretty good nick. I’d be wondering why we hadn’t seen a lot of people recently. I thought it was only our town that was devastated. I’m pretty sure we’ll find some other people soon. After a meagre meal, of leftover fish and berries, which Leo convinced us, weren’t poisonous, we set off again, trying to make it to a nearby town.