Status: Reactivated

My Guardian Vampire

Chapter 26

Once we got to the side of the road, Bert stopped.

"You ok?" he asked, looking at me concerned.

"I... You... Did you?" I asked, not believing what had just happened. Usually when my mom said I had to stay, I stayed. Especially lately, as she had been getting kind of violent...

"I did," he said, smiling. "You're free, tonight."

I let go of his hand, and then hugged him as warmly as I possibly could.

"Thank you, Bert," I said, smiling into his shoulder. His arms wrapped around me.

"No problem," he said. We broke apart smiling, and walked off into the darkness towards Gerard's house together.

We entered the house, laughing. Bert had me bridal-style in his arms, as he had run to house after a while because of all the time we had lost, walking slow and talking and laughing.

We were in the living room, and I saw Gerard.

"Gerard!" I squealed, and Bert let me down. I ran to Gerard who was now standing, and tackle-hugged him.

Gerard swung me around, kissing me on the cheek. When we stopped moving I saw Bert with a jealous look on his face.

'Wait...Jealous?'

He saw me looking at him and his face completely changed, into a smile.

"I missed you baby. What took you so long?" I looked back at Gerard.

"Bert saved me from my mom. He called her a fat bitch, and then we left! It was so awesome," I said, grinning happily at the memory. "My mom slapped Bert—hey Bert, you ok by the way? I looked like it hadn't even fazed you."

"It didn't," Bert said unbraggingly, his voice equal-toned.

"Oh, ok," I said, and an awkward silence filled the room for a moment.

"Well, thanks Bert," Gerard said, hugging me somewhat protectively. Bert nodded and left the room and went upstairs.

I looked around the room and suddenly saw Brittany and Frankie sitting on the couch.

"Hey Britt!" I said. I then saw she looked very pale. I stared at her, then looked at Frankie. "What's a matter with her?"

"She saw Gerard's new hair," Frankie said, smiling.

"It's not that bad!" Gerard yelled.

"Your hair... Your beautiful hair," Brittany whimpered, but instantly brightened. "At least Frankie's is still amazingly gorgeous."

Frankie laughed, hugging her and giving her a kiss on the cheek. Brittany and Frankie then began to make out— they were always zero to a hundred, just like that. Gerard and I made gagging sounds, and Brittany glared at me before turning back to Frankie. Gerard took my hand and led me up to "our" room as he called it, our little attic paradise. I collapsed onto our bed, cuddling into the feathery soft blankets.

"My mom scares me," I admitted, curling into a little ball. Images of bad memories suddenly flashed through my brain...

"Me too," Gerard said, sitting on the bed next to me. He then paused. "Though not really. You know that?" I looked at him quizzically.

"What do you mean?"

"You know I'm not afraid of your mom. She's just your mom, and I'd never want to do something to hurt her, since you'd get upset." I opened my mouth to protest, but he continued. "Trust me, you'd miss her eventually. For like money, or something." We both laughed, and he leaned over and hugged my curled-up body, planting a soft kiss on my cheek. "I'd do anything for you, you know. If you ever need to get away from your mom, just call me, and I'll be there before you can hang up."

He grinned into my cheek, and I smiled faintly back. He moved over to his usual side of the bed, and I unfolded from my position. We cuddled and talked about nothing, and everything, until we eventually fell asleep at daybreak.

I woke up a few hours later and got ready for school, waking Gerard up before I left. I made sure I consumed a large amount of coffee before leaving to stay awake during first period—Spanish. I could sleep during second period, creative writing.

The bell rang, and I dragged my tired ass out of the school for the last time this week. The air when I stepped outside tasted nicer than usual, spiced with the sweet, sweet scent of freedom.

Freedom to be with Gerard.

I smiled to myself, walking out of the school with Casey and Grace. Today Casey and I were staying at Grace's until we headed to the point. My mom had demanded a long time ago that I come directly home from school each day, but with Bert's new attitude and Gerard's promise, I felt a new courage to disobey her.

We took the bus to her house, the bus lady giving me a glare for not having a note, but I didn't care. I sat at the very back, alone. Casey and Grace sat in a seat together next to me. I used to go on this bus all the time, but ever since I was with Gerard and actually wanted to get home sooner I would go in my brother's car. Casey Grace and I all talked lightly, our headphones in our ears as we all blasted our own music. I decided to ignore the stares and whispers from the kids around me.

Eventually the chat between us stopped, and feeling tired I leaned against the window, letting my head rest against the cool dirty glass.

"Haven't seen you here in a while," someone said, bringing me out of my peaceful place. I opened my eyes and James, a kid I used to talk to, was now sitting next to me. I remembered him being so nice, but his aura had seemed to change from light and happy to aggressive.

"Yeah, I've been busy and the bus takes too long to get home," I said.

"Really? Oh," he said, looking away. I never knew him that well, but I got the feeling he wanted to ask me something.

"Is there something on your mind Jamesy?" I asked. He hated it when I called him Jamesy.

"Don't call me Jamesy," he said a little harsher than I expected. Why the hell was he being so hostile?
I decided to be up front.

"What's your problem James? Why the hell is everyone staring at me so weirdly?" I said, directing my question to all of the bus, most of the pairs of eyes staring in my general direction, or trying not to.

"Well...We hear things..."

"Like what?" I asked, shocked. Who the hell would even bother talking about me? I mean, I know it was a small town and all, but jeeze.

"Well...Just that you've changed, mostly."

"Changed? Because I'm not some depressed abused loser anymore?" This was starting to piss me off.

"You're not the same," James said, looking down. "Look, I didn't mean to act like such a jerk, but I hear stories..."

"James, I don't care what you hear. I'm happy, and I'm... in love."

A few people looked at each other, some with "yeah, right" looks on their faces, some softer.

"In love? If you say so, Ali. We used to be pretty good friends, and I don't want you to get hurt."

I smiled, feeling bad for acting defensively with him. James was the same James, caring for everyone.

"Aw, James, if it wouldn't be really awkward I'd give you a hug right now!" We laughed and James moved back to his original seat. Eventually we got to Grace's house, one of the last stops on my street. We walked silently into her house, and I actually ended up falling asleep. Casey later woke me up as she and Grace were getting ready to leave.

“Time to get up hobo,” Casey said as she and grace pulled me off the couch. I stumbled to the door but had to rest on the doorframe, almost falling asleep once again right there and then.

“C’mon Ali we got to go!” Grace said, pushing me. Lately with being around Mikey she had seemed more and more lively. “Gerard is waiting for you!” With the thought of Gerard I found the will to push myself to the car, though I almost immediately fell asleep once inside.

Casey woke me up once we were at the house, shoving me out of the car onto the cool grass. The chill from the grass felt nice, but the hard ground certainly did not. Grace’s mom began to pull out, so I rolled myself a safe distance from the car. She drove off and I waved, though I had never really noticed that I had been in her car in the first place.

“Ali, get up,” Grace said, nudging me with her foot. I groaned in response, and someone then grabbed my dirt-stained hands and began to drag me in the grass.

“Hey! Grass stains!” I yelled, and they dropped my hands. It took a moment or two, but I finally stood up on my own, though I kept my eyes closed.

“Too tired to walk,” I groaned. I tipped slightly over and fell into someone.

“Sorry,” I mumbled, growing more and more unable to open my eyes. They put their arm around my waist and kissed the top of my head. I pushed my head into their chest, smiling. I snaked my arm around his waist, almost falling asleep.

“Wait… You feel different,” I said, opening my eyes tiredly.

I jumped back, out of his grasp.
♠ ♠ ♠
Three Cookies for who guesses who it is first XP
And comments. Comments are awesome.
Thanks to my fiance, SheLOVESYou-, CreamCheese, and jeunou for the comments. They made me feel so un-depressed when i needed it, you have no idea <3 ♥ <3 ♥