Castle of Air

2 in which there is a coward

Sophie was dumfounded by boredom, with Howl away most likely with the wizard Sullivan. There was less of everything to do; less cleaning, less laundry, less cooking. Sophie found a horrible evil in idleness; at least she had the flower shop to consume a chunk of her day. Dinner was just about ready Calcifer cooked the stew to a low simmer as Sophie added some lightly boiled potatoes to it. Sophie was quite used to cooking for others, being the eldest child and all. She felt the sudden urge to go visit Martha. In the morning Sophie would go and help in the bakery Martha worked at, they seemed to always need an extra hand around lunch time. Sophie wiped her hands quietly on a rag and let out a slow sigh.
“Every time you sigh you grow older” Calcifer said with his eyes peeking out from under the pot
“I’ve got to get old sometime Cal” Sophie replied
Sophie laid the rag down in the sink when the dial for the door turned to the Kingsbury color, it was Howl that finally came home with a smile on his face. Howl bought himself a new shirt and he sported a knapsack that looked hand made.
“Sophie how I’ve missed you, and Calcifer I feel like it’s been ages” he boomed with enthusiasm.
Sophie found it hard to reply to a person with such a sunny attitude. She was once again dumbfounded. What was Howl playing at?
“I supposed your time with the wizard went well” Sophie replied, it irked her that Howl could be so happy; but mostly she wanted to feel him hold her again, those emotions had been poking at her the whole time. Howl’s strides were wide as he made his way over to the hearth were Sophie’s stew was boiling. He took the stirring spoon in his hand, put into the soup and sipped the soup Howl simply let out a grunt of pleasure.
“Sophie I brought you a gift” Howl said point blank
This made Sophie feel embarrassed, her heart felt like a rabbits; she scolded herself for being so girly and being stirred by Howl. It was then that howl pulled the box from his knapsack it was much bigger than the bag itself which meant it was a magical sack most likely a gift from Sullivan . Howl stretched the box to Sophie, buy the shape of the box it was most likely a dress of some sort but the box had no name on it so maybe it was custom made, this baffled Sophie; Howl should know better that she could sew clothes for herself, why she even made Lettie’s May Day dress last year.
“The dress is a gift from the prince Justin” Howl said with a carefully steady voice
“It seems he still has a crush on you” he added making light of the man’s emotions.
Howl looked up at Sophie, carefully studying her every movement, did she like the gift? Maybe he should have never even mentioned the gift and fed to Calcifer when she went to sleep. Even still it was hard to read what Sophie felt, she was such a confusing creature, maybe she would be much happier with a courageous prince than a coward of a wizard.
“Why not try it on” Calcifer suggested waiving a fiery hand to her door. Sophie didn’t reply as she slipped awkwardly into her room to try it on. Howl raked his hand through his hair and let out a sigh trying to blow his feelings away from him. For him being heartless was much easier. Michael came down the stairs then wiping his eyes a bit, he perked up at the sight of his master.
“Howl” the boy said you could hear the excitement in his voice.
“Michael, so good to see you, would you go to my field and fetch my journal from the cabin” Howl replied. Michael agreed nodding his head as if he knew what howl had meant. Sophie stepped out of the room in an emerald green dress with dull gold embroidery at the helm of the dress. The men on the room were taken back.
“That dress is beautiful on you Sophie” Michael said before leaving the house.
Calcifer’s flame changed into a vibrant magenta as he hid in to the fire wood out of embarrassment. Sophie’s eyes were fixated on the ground, her face was flushed a deep red, this stirred something deep in Howl, did she want his opinion of the dress?
“So-″ Howl began until Sophie let out a short nervous laugh
“It seems a bit toasty in her Cal, I think I’ll step out for a bit of fresh air” to be honest ever since Howl returned it felt like the wind was knocked out of her, it was hard to think with his presence prying at her let alone wearing this dress, obviously made for someone of high status not the first born of a hatter. It was when Sophie felt the cold wood under her bare feet that she could think again, the air tasseled her bun until Sophie finally let it free. Howl was still with Calcifer trying to compose himself, how could he feel so strongly for a creature so divine, why just a few months ago she resembled more of a shriveled up prune. How before his own eyes had this creature transform into something of his wildest dreams and more. Maybe it wasn’t Sophie that went through this transformation; maybe it was Howl that was a new man. Am I no longer a coward? He questioned maybe I am deserving of this woman he thought. With that Howl went to see Sophie, Calcifer just quietly smiled in his hearth. Howl hesitated just before winding the door open; he swallowed deeply before opening the door as if trying to keep down all the courage he could muster. She was standing there as if she had been waiting for him; her eyes were filled with stars that rivaled the ones that now hung in the sky.
“Sophie you look lovely” Howl finally said disturbing the silence, Sophie couldn’t hold his gaze any longer and looked out into the wastes.
“Prince Justin has an eye for fashion, don’t you think howl” Sophie said in to the darkness she was pulling at the sleeve of her dress as if it wasn’t long enough. This sparked the jelousy that mixed horribly with his lust, Sophie would be only his. Sophie could feel the intensity of his stair on her. At this point she couldn’t say she didn’t want him as well, but she was doomed to fail at being in love, Sophie was the eldest sister. Howl leaned over the banister of the castle and drank in Sophie’s presence her hair looked like fire in the wind it conflicted with her watery blue eyes. He wanted to hold her but he feared she would not hold him back. Sophie noticed the simplicity of Howls new shirt the way the light fabric made ripples across his lean chest; it was far too simple for his taste but complemented him all the same. It was dangerous this mania love these two souls shared. But both were about as mad as a hatter.
♠ ♠ ♠
I found it quite hard to complete this chapter just because I was having a fuss about how to portray each character, i spent days staring at blank document. thanks for reading hope you enjoy!
(all edited!)