Castle of Air

3 in which there is a welcomed reunion

Sophie was stirred from her sleep the next morning buy the distant wail of a train, her curtains masked the edge of the morning light. Sophie bathed and dress for the new day it was a Sunday. So she set out to see Martha at Cesari’s surly they would like Sophie’s daft hands for something. The morning air was thick with mist and dew all evidence of a rain shower that must have occurred, the walk to Cesari’s was quiet with the feint songs from birds a peaceful way to begin the day. Martha happened to be in the back entrance bringing in some fresh strawberries for the stress famous tarts for brunch hour.
“ oh Sophie how I’ve longed for you” Martha set the strawberries down and hugged her eldest sister.
“I’ve been so busy with the shop and managing the castle and all”
“oh Sophie I must mention, Lettie is in town!” Martha retorted with jubilee.
Sophie felt a bit of excitement muster deep inside her it’s been so long since they’ve been together. Inside the café Lettie was waiting sitting poised with a light yellow dress, she looked like a porcelain doll as she peered out at the town square. Sophie greeted Lettie with a simple hello, as Lettie fell into her arms. Lettie shared the wonderful new that Benjamin Suliman the great royal wizard had proposed to her; he had courted her for some time but knowing Lettie’s headstrong and dominant nature she probably found some way to make him propose. Lettie and Sophie sat down for an early breakfast as Martha served them the fresh fruit from earlier and a fresh baked cheese Danish. They spoke simple conversation and caught up with each other; Martha spoke volumes about Michael, they went on cute dainty picnics in the valley outside of market chipping and played with seven league boots; she also went on about especially intimate moments between her and Michael she didn’t go into it much but she swore up and down that her name was white and erect. Lettie however could not defend herself in such a way though it was her fiancé and she was monogamous; Lettie went on to explain her internship with Mrs. Fairfax and the various things she had picked up healing spells, how to prepare various survival kits for the Kingsbury soldiers. Martha told stories of various suitors in the café; she wouldn’t even bat an eye at them.
“Michael is the only one I see” Martha exclaimed.
Lettie and Sophie laughed in unison; Martha’s love was something of a romance novel. Sophie’s two sisters look at her with anticipating eyes as they subliminally told Sophie to ‘spill’. There wasn’t much to say though, sure she lived with Howl but what of it they embraced rarely and kissed even less Sophie’s love life was about as active as active as the witch of the waste’s. The two sisters were shocked when they heard this, Lettie insisted on having an intervention to fix Sophie’s love ‘crises’. After going through a thorough lecture on the seduction from Lettie and a sermon on romance with Martha Sophie dare not mention the gift from Prince Justin. Noon was creeping up on the sisters as they all parted. It was the prime of the day as Sophie walked into the castle she hung her coat up, Michael was preparing a wind spell for a captain in Portland. Calcifer rousing from what seemed like a long sleep grumbled from a low blue flame into his usual red.
“Howl is out I presume?” Sophie asked
“He is meeting with the king” Michael replied
It was old news to Sophie; she wondered whether her presence was significant to him. Now Sophie was red with anger and frustration perhaps she would test Howl.
Sophie walked up the steps to Fanny’s mansion her new husband was well off and now so was she. Lettie said that she would be there for the week if Fanny did drive her up the wall with her tendencies. One of the house maids answered the door and guided Sophie to Lettie’s room, the room was needless to say very floral and light, though the theme and color scheme were busy the room came together; ‘leave it to Fanny’ is what Sophie thought. Lettie had just finished bathing when she came out not expecting her visit.
“Lettie I want to barrow some lingerie”
This puzzled Lettie, this request was something out of the blue but reasonable all the same. She gave Sophie a simple pale rose silk night gown decorated with lace trimmings, it was short but Lettie was sure that was what Sophie wanted.
Howl still hadn’t returned after dinner and the house was quiet with sleep Michael was in his room and Calcifer was away. Sophie examined herself intently as she criticized herself and her actions.
“This was all for nothing, he’s not even going to come home, and he probably gallivanting with some girl for kicks” Sophie spat
She felt worse knowing her words were insincere, Sophie walked out of her room in nothing but the gown and made her way to howl’s room, she paused before opening the door, Howl’s room was intoxicating every aspect drew her in, the smell of leather bound books and mint was soothing and instantly mollified Sophie’s harsh feelings. Howl’s room was a mess contrary to the neatly made bed; Sophie crawled in to it and quickly fell asleep.
It was past midnight and Howl did his best not to rouse anyone as he made his way to his room, it was black as pitch in the room but Howl could sense someone there sure enough Sophie laid there fragile and defenseless. His presence roused Sophie as she sat herself up and looked up at Howls shadow in shock she began to let out a yelp when Howl covered her mouth Sophie struggled a bit because she couldn’t recognize him but she came round. Sophie was breathless from shock and Howl was just inches above her. Sophie left nothing to the imagination in her silk gown and what a good fantasy this was. They both were nervous when Sophie said.
“Welcome home”
‘Welcome home indeed’ is what howl thought he’d never fathom a gift like this wrapped so perfectly would be lying in his bed.
“What a pleasant welcoming” Howl said possessed by desire. He wanted this so much and by Sophie’s body language she wanted it all the same Howl leaned in his nose gazing her neck with delicacy and as he reached Sophie’s mouth he grew more aggressive. Howl was only allowed to steal one heated kiss before Sophie pushed away, this made Howl feel dejected, Sophie could see the frustration and confusion mixed with desire, she had gotten all she’d wanted from him to seal the deal; Sophie cup Howl’s face in her hand and gently kissed his lips and then left the room. In her own room Sophie looked at herself in disbelief of her own actions, ‘possibly the night gown was bewitched by Lettie’ she thought, she quickly took off her night gown and put on her modest one. Lying in her bed she stared into the darkness only thinking of Howls lips, knowing that Howl felt the same.
Howl sat at his desk dazed and confused of the recent events, he was taken aback by all that just happened. He replayed the scene over and over and he got the same clenched feeling in his stomach. He remembered seeing the light freckles that dotted her pale chest and feeling the subtle curve of her neck. He had to admit Sophie was a natural.
♠ ♠ ♠
well I posted last night, but is seems mibba crashed and I lost a good few of my poems as well as this chapter, I apologies for the delay in the update but I have been busy with midterms and other school related things.........did i mention I had writers block and rewrote this chapter like five times, anyways I hope you enoji! with love Kayla-su