Castle of Air

4 In Which the Castle Falls to Reality

4 In which the castle falls into reality

Sophie laid awake in her bed for quite some time meditating on the events past. Her head began to hurt, so she decided what is done is done. The house was quiet for now; Calcifer was resting in some old embers and Sophie assumed that both Michael and Howl were up stairs still asleep. Sophie wasn't hungry much, but she really didn't want to wake anyone up and face them just at this moment. She couldn't decide what she felt; it was all just a big mess in her head. Sophie grabbed the basket quick when she heard footsteps upstairs. The dial glided toward purple, Sophie opened the door, the field was still a bit dry but lush everywhere else. Sophie went to a green patch behind the house and began snipping the stems on a few sun flowers and calla lilies. She checked on a few blue roses they were best sellers in her shop, the buds were just beginning to open so she snipped about two dozen. It was almost noon there so Sophie packed up her things and went inside. Michael was hard working on a wind spell for a ship captain in Port haven. Sophie greeted him good morning Michael simply smiled back. Sophie made her way into the flower shop and tied her apron around her neck. The shop seemed extra bright today 'the flowers would enjoy that' is what Sophie thought as she placed the blue roses in front of the windows.

"Look at the sun; it shines for you so open up now." Sophie said holding the base of one of the roses, it slowly opened and Sophie proceeded to the other flowers.

Buy eleven almost all the calla lilies were sold, and the shop was beginning to look a bit empty. Towards the end of the day fanny came in clad in a white dress that was nothing short or blinding with its stalk color, her expression held a determined purpose; which gave Sophie the willies. Fanny surveyed the flowers around her inhaling each one giving a surprised look at each sniff.

"Sophie these flowers are simply stunning" she took a pause to breathe another in "and they smell simply divine" there was a bit of ecstasy in her voice.

Fanny wasn't hesitant in ordering half the store; it seemed that Fanny was enjoying the intimidating power that came with the wealth of her new husband. Fanny's maid servants came in to take out the flowers when fanny suggested that they should go inside for tea. Michael and Calcifer were gone when the two of them came in. Fanny sat down at the table by the window where her back faced the door while Sophie boiled the water; she surveyed the kitchen with wary eyes.

When the tea kettle began to whine Sophie poured the water into each cup and set the tea bags in. Fanny wasted no time with light conversation, she offered to take Sophie to Kingsbury to live with her and her husband, but Sophie automatically rejected the idea. Fanny wouldn't hear a word of it.

"You are a young woman whom is NOT married" she paused momentarily to sip her tea "It is not proper for a young lady such as yourself to be living in a place likeā€¦ this, it is-simply put morally immoral"

Sophie tried to argue that Market Chipping was her home and that he whole life was here, she wanted to mention Martha but she didn't exactly live with Michael she lived in Cesari's dorm. Sophie's words sent waves of guilt through Fanny these past few years have been hard on everyone since the death of Sophie's father, and she had to send everyone off. Fanny paused a bit and raised the cup to her face but only to inhale the heat and put down the cup, she continued to say that she would collect Sophie at the end of the week and she had five days to pack up and say her good byes. It was then that Fanny said good bye to Sophie with a lingering hug, in some strange way Sophie missed the feeling of a maternal presence though Fanny has extreme ways, Sophie always admired her beauty, steadfast attitude and how she always got what her way.

"Sophie now don't be a Stranger I'm staying in the hotel on Main Street stop by and I'll treat you to tea"

Sophie felt gullible as Fanny walked out, Sophie followed slowly behind her into the shop, the sun was about to disappear between the buildings. Fanny looked over her shoulder one more time and gave a polite smile Sophie saw the subtle aging in her eyes that wasn't there before. Fanny turned back around and stepped into her car and drove off. She was alone in the flower shop, a vase with an oversized sunflower toppled in the silence. Sophie sighed and picked it up, she felt withdrawn and confused as to how she should feel; she stood there holding the vase and contemplated her life. Sophie closed her eyes and only thought of how she would miss Howl.

Sophie walked into the house it was dark and aged the sink was beginning to fill with dirty dishes, so she went over and began to wash them mechanically. Half way into the wash load Calcifer came into the fire place.

"I'm surprised to see you haven't begun dinner" Calcifer said

"This whole week has been surprising Calcifer" Sophie stopped washing then and shook she hands dry as she went over to get a deep pan to roast a chicken. In the brief pause between words the two heard a bump from upstairs Sophie looked and Calcifer and gave an indifferent shrug, Calcifer just assumed it was Michael working on a spell. Sophie sighed opening the ice box and took a Chicken that wasn't yet frozen solid and began garnishing it. As Sophie cut up a lemon on top the chicken, placed some butter, sprinkled some salt rubbed in some pepper with it all and finally stuffed it with garlic. She thought about how they acquired the ice box. Suliman had invented it and perfected it just before proposing to Lettie. Sophie's mind lingered on the idea of a proposal.

"You know, Howl is allergic to garlic" Calcifer interjected disturbing Sophie's thoughts.

"You know as well as I that Howl doesn't eat dinner" Sophie said covering the dish "now Calcifer would you please cook this for me since you're occupying the fire place."

Calcifer grumbled a bit, he didn't much like to be used as a kitchen appliance but he usually made this Exception for Sophie since she did break the curse on him. Sophie contemplated telling Calcifer her news, she thought maybe her would have good insight on her matter. The Chicken was about half cook when she told Calcifer the news, the words left a dank taste in her mouth, and similar to the way she felt when she drank they left a long after taste. Calcifer was silent for a bit, he rustled a bit under the pan and the fire cracked.

"When are you going to tell howl?" he inquired.

Sophie's heart skipped, she hadn't thought about how Howl would feel about this, but of course this would happen, Sophie was after all the first born; she just didn't like the fact that Howl might be hurt. Frustrated tears came then and fought their way down Sophie's face. Dinner was ready and she was frazzled, before calling Michael down for food Sophie went to wash her face and pull herself together. She came out of the bathroom and called Michael down, he took five minutes to finish whatever he was doing and came down stairs. Sophie had just started eating when Michael sat down, he basically inhaled the food around him then went for seconds, and just before he went for a third plate Sophie stopped him.

"Make sure you save some for howl" Sophie thought of how ironic her words were.

Sophie emptied her plate into Calcifer's mouth he let a garlicky belch out, which made Michael chuckle.

"I'm going to bed now, goodnight everyone" Sophie said stepping into her room. Calcifer and Michael both said goodnight in unison.

Sophie's room was a soft yellow with white head boards the white chiffon blurred framed her window she went over to it and open it the night was cold but it had an inviting feeling. Sophie poked her head out the window and took in the brightness of the stars. The world was so peaceful right now so Sophie decided to leave the window open for some breeze. It took a while for the blankets to warm up but it was easy for Sophie to fall asleep once they did.

It was black as pitch when Sophie was roused from her sleep by the banging of her window. Sophie closed the windows and rubbed her arms. Sophie thought a bit about what she dreamt about and I long shiver ran down her spine, she couldn't quite put her finger on it but the dream was important somehow. Sophie felt the urge for a glass of water. The house was quiet and still when she filled the cup; Calcifer quietly slept in the fire pit. Sophie rubbed her eyes a bit and took in a yawn, she didn't even notice Howl prowling behind her; he slipped his hand quickly around Sophie's waist this made Sophie jump. She wasn't used to such a straight forward greeting from Howl, it sent pickles of warmth and guilt down her arms as she thought of her dwindling time here in the house.

"Good evening dear" Howl said seductively or maybe that's just how it sounded to Sophie.

His chin was nuzzled in her shoulder. Howl closed his eyes and took a deep breath and took a deep breath in. It and been a long day with the king and his demands upon howl were becoming more and more ridiculous. Howl always enjoyed moments like this with Sophie quiet and intimate. The two stood there in the darkness for a bit, Howl thought about how he wanted to sleep with Sophie, not in the way that they would have sex; but in the way that they would hold each, and he could watch her fall asleep and watch her wake up. In the silence Sophie thought of the closeness and the desire, she wanted to melt into melt into Howl.

Howls hands loosened from around her, and he stripped off a red coat with gold embroidery, he hung the coat on the back of a chair exposing a coal colored dress shirt underneath. The colors contrasted howls lightness, his mossy green eyes and gold-yellow hair. Sophie couldn't think of why the coat seemed to remind her of Zanzib, she just assumed it was because of the colors.

"Howl I have something to say" Sophie said toying with the hem of her night gown. "I'm leaving to go live with fanny" Sophie closed her eyes as if hiding from possible outrage.

Howl paused to think about what Sophie had just said.

"I see" was all Howl could say.

He didn't want defy Fanny, and Howl could tell this was just as hard for Sophie as it was going to be for him. Four days ago Fanny's husband had stopped him to mention that Fanny was going to visit Sophie, but Howl never thought it would be to take Sophie home with her.

"Well I'm going to be staying in Kingsbury as well for about a month or so with the king"

"Is that why you were gone all day today?" Sophie inquired.

"Yes" Howl replied.

Once again the king was thirsty for the bounty of imperialism he wanted the natural resources of Zanzib as well as the trading opportunities of High Norland. Howl gritted his teeth at the thought. The king needed the help of the best wizards in Ingary to help. The king had mentioned Sophie and her power to break Howls curse. Suliman was there at the meeting to write it off as a fluke, saving Sophie from possibly being used in the coming war. Howl was greatly indebted to him for that. Sophie saw the tension and stress in Howls face and went over to take his hand. Slowly they both fell in to a deep supportive hug.

"I don't want to go, Howl honestly I don't but." Sophie's trailed off a bit. "She's my family"

"It's ok Sophie, I respect your decision" Howl spoke softly mollifying any doubt or guilt Sophie might have felt.

"Can we sleep together tonight?" Sophie asked quietly, she looked up with honest eyes at howl.

Howl was taken aback by Sophie's blunt words but he guided Sophie to his room anyway. In his room Howl made sure that she didn't see much of him changing. Howls night gown was as simple and threadbare as Sophie's. It seemed ironic in a way considering Howl's compulsive awareness to his appearance. Sophie smiled a bit in light of it all; this made Howl's face soften.

The next few nights were a lot like this one. They laid together; they talked, kissed and caressed each other. Howl watched Sophie fall asleep, and Sophie watched Howl wake up. It was a shame such a love was so short lived. Before they both realized Sophie had one day left in Market chipping.
♠ ♠ ♠
HOWDY! ~sorry for the delayed update for those who might follow this story. I would like to say I couldn't update because I had AP exams but sadly I didn't. I'm just a procrastinator and a perfectionist. I have about five drafts lying around my room which is messy by the way because I spent the last week trying to write this chapter. I put the divider where Sophie has a dream, I will later submit that because the dream is very much relevant to this story, and always comments and critiques are always appreciated. Also I would like to take a second to thank you the reader and my friends who help me write and edit the chapters. You all are my inspiration to write and become a better writer.

ENJOI!