Castle of Air

In case there is something terrible

I want you all to think of my sleep deprivation while reading this. Thank you also for taking the time to read my fanfiction.

as always ENJOI!

5 In case there is something terrible

Sleep was escaping howl, his mind was everywhere, he watched Sophie rhythmically breathe in and out, and clock click tic and tic. He thought of how the king might still try to use Sophie and how the prince might still try to court his Sophie. He thought of how Michael and he would survive without Sophie's maternal influence. In the end Howl just couldn't find it in himself to say goodbye. He summoned up a quick spell that would keep Sophie asleep so he could leave. Howl took her hand that was out toward him and he kissed her forehead, her eye, her cheek, and finally her lips. Sophie's eyes fluttered a bit under their lids. Howl let go of her hand.

Sophie woke up alone the final day in an empty bed. She felt around in howls side and it was cold and bare. She didn't shoot up out of the bed in outburst or scream with rage, she just looked at the ceiling with the drapes decorating it. Sophie wanted to take this in the loneliness and the longing. It was a deep dull pain and after today it was here to stay. One tear fell from her eye as she whispered the word coward thinking only of howl.

Before Fanny came for Sophie the three sisters and Michael went to the cemetery to say a few words to their parents. On the way back they stopped at Cesari's to drop off Martha and Michael. Martha insisted on sending Sophie away with a small box of bonbons that she had no choice but to except.

The trolley was filling up now except for a few people at the end cart.

"Sophie I want you to be careful of Fanny, this all doesn't seem right." Lettie said utterly suspicious. "I talked to Martha about this matter as well, it doesn't make sense that she would take you away of all of us."

Lettie played with her engagement ring and bit her lip. The trolley bumped and jingled as Sophie tried to block out Lettie's words, no matter what she said this situation was not going to change, she was leaving. The sun was heading west now and so was she. In front of the flower ship was Fanny's auto mobile that was still running.

"I want you to be careful Sophie" is what Lettie said before Fanny noticed them both; she waved an ivory glove at them signaling for them to come. She was wide eyes and smiling from ear to ear.

"Dear are you ready to go?" Fanny said batting her eyes

This was a rhetorical question because she had already gone into the house and gotten all of her bags the car was obviously full with them.

Sophie looked back at the shop and then at the car. Of course she was ready the sisters exchanged looks and the went in for an embrace

"I'm heading back to miss. Fairfax's, I'll ask Sullivan to keep in touch with you while he's in Kingsbury. " is what Lettie said letting go of her sister eldest of three.

"I'll miss you Lettie" Sophie replied as they hugged one last time, Sophie had already said goodbye to Calcifer and Michael.

Lettie would miss her sister she felt similar when the three sisters had to leave to seek their separate destinies that Fanny had arranged. Sophie was never the conventional beauty she had quirks but Sophie was the kind of person that radiates warmth and clarity, sometimes Lettie felt that she could reach out and feel the warmth. Sophie took one last glance at her sister as she slid into the car, Lettie gave a big smile and wave to her sister she would send her sister off happy.

The ride to Kingsbury was long and awkward filled with drab conversation. Sophie commented on the lovely scenery that fanny had seen time and again. Fanny recommended some shopping squares in Kingsbury and Sophie spoke of the clothes she could make herself. Though the two were family they had nothing in common. Soon the conversation turned to howl, the subject had a slight aftertaste in Fanny's mouth but he couldn't quite put her finger on it. Fanny asked about Sophie's sleeping arrangements and how she was able to cope with living in a house filled with men. Sophie Thought a bit before answering she didn't want to say anything that might upset fanny or damage her ego, so she replied simply she had her own bed room down stairs similar to her room in the hat shop and how she would patch Howls suit shirts and Michael's pants; and Sophie liked the house full of men it gave her purpose.

In the morning the Kingsbury the streets was wide and full. People tall and fat, short and skinny walked up and down the paved streets. But they all seemed to have the same look in their eyes though Sophie didn't know what exactly it was it left an unsettling feeling in her chest. As the two rode further into the capital the streets began to thin out and the few people out walking didn't seem to have the same look about them, by the looks of the silk suits and the gaudy looking jewelry Sophie guess they were in the wealthy part of Kingsbury. Sophie was amused at the sudden transition from poverty to privilege. The sidewalks were much clearer but that might be because of all the other automobiles on the road.

Fanny's new home was nothing short of stunning the ivory columns seemed to reach for the clouds. The grass was the color of emerald and the door was a scarlet red. There were too many rooms to count in this house. Sophie thought there could be enough rooms to accommodate a small village and three living rooms to boot. The front room was a flashy gold with fresh white furniture; the whole room reeked of money and prowess. The first living room was green but not as strong like the front lawn; a sort of refreshing spring green the kind that can only be described by a spring morning; this room felt alive. The kitchen was a relaxed ocean blue with a window over the sink so someone could look out into the backyard and see the wide open garden with a lovely white gazebo behind the house. Sophie doubted fanny would even lay a delicate hand on a dirty plate. She hardly cooked when they lived together. The other two living rooms were dens of sorts one for the Mr. and one for the Miss. and didn't leave a very deep impression on Sophie. Upstairs were the bed rooms, Fanny's room was in the opposite direction of Sophie's, she was glad to have a bit of privacy.

"Marie's room is just across the hall, I'm sure you two will be the best of friends" fanny added

Sophie took the information robotically until she thought about the words a second time. This is ridiculous how could fanny Leave out this serious bit of information.

"she's about Lettie's age, so the two of you should get along just fine" fanny closed.

"and just when we're you planning to tell me I had a step sister" Sophie replied putting her hands accusingly on her hips.

"I thought that you would be accepting of this Sophie but I guess-" fanny paused and waited for the guilt

"we'll fanny it seems you miss judged me" and with that Sophie went into her new room and shut the door. The bed was soft on her aching rump from the car ride.

"Marie is with her tutor right now I think it's your friend the wizard howl, I hope it'll give you some time to let this all sink in, also we're having dinner with the king so please ready by seven " fanny said to the door she felt all sorts of guilt towards the situation but fanny wanted Sophie to be here more than anything.

Sophie's heart sank into her stomach as she heard Fanny's footsteps lead away from the door. Sophie was beginning to think all of this was insanity. Sophie stared at the stalk white ceiling for a while before sitting up and looking at the dress fanny picked. It was a cream colored dress that brought out the ghostly color of her skin. Sophie let out a long sigh and tried to flip her floppy hair. She had about two hours until the dinner and decided to explore her new room. The bottom floor of the castle was almost three times smaller than this room, the room was a soft pink which Sophie wasn't crazy about but it's better than Fanny's usually floral style, the floor was lined by a pasty board, the bed had a chiffon canopy that left an opening at the foot and the all the linen looked incredibly soft. The open bathroom door exposed a white porcelain tub with gold claws and pink carpets to match the walls. The fire place was bordered with mahogany and a dusty gold carpet sat in front of it. The vanity matched the carpet being made with the same shade of gold. The wall that faced the back yard was a full length window and showed the massive garden with the gazebo. This whole room had the makings for no one lesser than a princess, someone who wasn't Sophie. Then Sophie thought maybe she shouldn't sell herself to short. Sophie lifted herself up and walked to the window the dress was a bit hard to maneuver in but she got the hang of it once she made it to the balcony.

The garden seemed to stretch on forever. It gave Sophie a calming feeling the breeze moved gently through her hair as she leaned over the balcony.

"I could stay here forever" is what Sophie thought as she took a deep breath in.

Sophie was surprised though at the sound of approaching at the end of the balcony was a tall man with his back facing Sophie he seemed to be breathing heavily as if he just finished running.

"Hey you this is-"Sophie couldn't finish her sentence because somehow the man's hand was covering her mouth she was dumfounded but angry all the same, he had just cut her off.

Sophie bit down hard on the man's palm making him jump back with a ghastly howl. He held his hand to his chest and looked up at Sophie with one eye squinted in a painful way.

"I never took you as a sadist Sophie" howl said matter-of-factly. Sophie was stunned

"I could curse! What is going on? And why are you here sneaking up on me !" Sophie said especially with a bit of venom on the end of her sentence. She hated to be sneaked up on, and Howl seemed to be particularly good at that.

"Mr. Jenkins" shouted a voice below "Mr. Jenkins" the voice repeated "Mr. Jenkins where are you-"the voice trailed away.

Sophie only got to see the green skirt trail away.

"Is she gone?" howl asked.

"Why would I care why don't you stop cowering and come see for yourself." Sophie replied bitterly.

Howl looked back at her and understood for the most part that she was huffy that he left her without saying goodbye, and yes that was a coward's action but couldn't she see that he was here now and he's only really here to see her. Sophie wouldn't even face him and Howl guessed that he deserved it; Howl couldn't help but notice Sophie's curly red halo with the soon setting sun, her hands were crossed not out of content but more out of stress. Howl would take the risk of getting up and talking her into his arms slowly from behind. Sophie wasn't too mad to resist his embrace, she didn't even resist when kissed the side of her temple.

"Do you think it would kill you to say goodbye once and a while? Because if this happens again I won't be so forgiving." Sophie said under her breath.

Howl just smiled

Howl took the time to make a door portal to the castle, so Sophie could come to visit if she wanted. Since the front door seemed to fit most with the demotions of the castle door howl made the portal there. When it was done Sophie could use she word magic so the door would open to the house. Howl also explained that with the proper persuasion the door could open even to other places she would just have to make sure the door she came out of isn't destroyed.

"but just in case there is something terrible think of me and the door will open to where ever I may be" howl said in a suggestive tone but he was serious.

"You won't get of that easy Mr. Jenkins" Sophie said turning away playfully. Howl took her hand playing along and twirled her into his arms.

They both hadn't spent more than two days apart but the kissing was much overdue first there were quick pecks but the kissed became something more heated. Sadly howl had to part with Sophie; though he was right where he wanted to be, he had to leave.

With that howl had to bid farewell, he too was expected at the dinner with the king and howl was never one to look as drab as a green shirt and black pants. When howl left Sophie decided that it was about time she did her hair after fumbling with her curly locks a simple bun was all she could manage. Sophie splashed a little makeup on so she didn't look so ghastly, Lettie showed her a few things which would do for now.

The castle was quite beautiful and well regal looking from what Sophie could remember the marble floors and the indoor fountains decorated the many main rooms up the main hall of the castle. At the very end of the hall was a round glass room in the shape of a dome was the dining room. At the round table each guest has a place card to where they were each assigned to sit Fanny and her husband sat naturally with together and behind them were the footsteps of the remaining guests, before they came into immediate view Sophie put two and two together. Slowly Sophie's eyes wondered to the adjacent place card that read cordially PRINCE JUSTIN. Sophie didn't want to think of how awkward this night could get; Prince Justin was going to sit by Sophie and howl was not.

"Just lovely" Sophie murmured as Howl and Marie came around to their seats in the table.
~
A/N forgive me for not updating sooner was trying to write the bonus chapter for chapter four but this seemed more relevant. I'm glad I wrote this chapter and I feel especially proud of it, maybe because right now it's 3:11 am where I am. I wanted to write more for this chapter but my stamina is running low and I wouldn't be able to get to sleep if I continued. I hope you have enjoied!

(also I used a term from the first book, specifically the "Mr. Nose" in the first book Howl nicknames Sophie for being so nose and constantly disturbing Howl's things.)