Castle of Air

7

Abdullah had tried everything to get Sophie back to Kingsbury, but the pair had reached a dead end.

“Abdullah you mustn’t stop I need to go home” Sophie pleaded.

“I’m sorry Sophie” Abdullah said in his exotic accent.

“It seems that what got you here were the combined powers of you and your sister, but surprisingly only you got here completely” Abdullah took a light drag from his hookah

“it seems to me that you can talk the magic into things”

“Well yes I’m aware of that, but how am I supposed to get home” exclaimed a desperate Sophie.

Abdullah continued by explaining that Sophie was able to get home buy willing the magic carpet, so she could possibly get home by talking the carpet into taking her home. Thought there was one dilemma Sophie had no idea how to find her way home.
“I can only offer you a way to find your way my dear” Abdullah replied quite calmly.
Abdullah further explained that he could send her to High Norland to the Sorcerer William whom is an old aquatint of Abdullah’s; it would take a little over day to reach there from where Sophie is currently. Though it wasn’t much hope it was all Sophie had, and she would accept this fortune.

~ Later ~

Sophie had studied the map to the Wizard William’s house ten times over; the house was deep in the forest so she would have only a few landmarks to go by to check her position. Sophie rehearsed in her head the land marks ‘dead lands, and the crescent lake’. Sophie was given a fresh change of clothes and supplies for at least three days incase anything were to go wrong. Her outfit consisted of a thick blouse dyed a light coral color embroidered with gold string and matching trousers and her knapsack was filled with the essentials. Sophie had noticed a small knot that had formed in her stomach as she was about to embark, this would be an all new experience for her. Abdullah only gave a quick nod to Sophie before she started to speak to the carpet, she sat on the carpet in the middle of the street it was late evening and all the shops had closed and the people receded into their dwellings.

Sophie began talking the magic into the carpet by complementing it, explaining that the golden tassels seemed more valuable than the finest jewel to her, and how the exquisite weavings rivaled the finest of artworks. The air around Sophie began to tornado as the carpet rose from the ground. Sophie continued to praise the carpets sturdy structure and supportiveness.

As Sophie was a few feet in the air Abdullah remembered an important bit of information.

“Be wary of Ingary sky ships they have been seen around here and they would shoot you out of the sky in a heartbeat if they had the chance” Abdullah Shouted to her.
Sophie didn’t have to experience the feeling of being thrust up suddenly to feel the dropping of her stomach; she soon became sick with anxiety. Once the carpet reached the appropriate altitude Sophie found herself in awe, she glimpsed the sun setting and the moon rising.
“Well I’m glad we know were at least heading north or south” Sophie commented patting the carpet.
The temperature was considerably colder at this altitude, Sophie was thankful that Abdullah had packed her a thick Shaw that could have easily doubled as a blanket, she wrapped herself in it and braced for the night ahead.

~

The night seemed like a blink away to Sophie as she arose from her slumber, the stench of sulfur and phosphate made her nose wrinkle and almost recoil. Sophie could tell that she was a good part of the way through the dead lands because she could see the end of the perpetual black spot that was the dead lands. Sophie patted the carpet.

“Great carpet we’ve made it this far it won’t be much longer now, we just need to get to crescent lake and we’ll be at the home stretch” Sophie spoke to the carpet.

The air around her had warmed up via the sunrise and Sophie no longer need the cover-up so she stowed it into the bag. Sophie’s breakfast consisted of a cold biscuit and half of the canteen that Abdullah had packed for her. Sophie quickly ran out of things to do on the carpet. With her hands idle Sophie’s mind took flight, she laid on the edge of the carpet and let her arm hang in the breeze; Sophie had gotten used to flying, the air no longer smelled rank, but was replaced by a fresh evergreen scent.

~

It was nightfall when Sophie reached the house it was truly in a rural area, if Sophie hadn’t been looking for it carpet would have flow right over it. When she landed, right away she noticed the quietness around the house; she thought that Sorcerer William must have lived alone. Sophie stepped off of carpet and for an instant Sophie thought she felt the carpets longing for her.

“It seems you’ve got a mind of your own now” Sophie said

Carpet stood up on its tassels, walked over to Sophie and rolled it up and settled into her arms.

“Carpet I don’t think I can keep you but I’m sure William would love to keep you in his house” Sophie said apologetically.
Carrying carpet Sophie gave three hard raps on the door and waited for an answer. It was a quick moment when the door opened to reveal a young girl just around Martha’s age, and she looked a bit frazzled.

“Hello I’m Sophie Hatter; I’m here to see Sorcerer William; are you ok?”

“Hi I’m Chairmen, Sorcerer William is out right now and no, I seem to be in a pickle”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all, I’m finally updating….yahoo! I hope you enjoy this transition chapter; I’m going to get back into the swing of updating and writing stories in general. (I haven’t updated in a while because I’ve been busy with graduation, college and working) I’ve also been working on an Adventure time Fanfic that I hope to post soon. As always Enjoi!