Status: Beginning

Happy Times

Running

I finished my cereal and moved to the couch. I covered myself in a blanket and curled up into a ball, pulling the blanket up over my eyes, I tried to go back to sleep. After 12 minutes of watching the minutes tick by on the clock, I decided sleep was not an option. I needed something to take my mind off, well, my life. I still had to pack for Vegas, but our flight didn’t leave until ten tonight. Kicking the blanket off, I rolled onto the floor.

“Si?” A voice rang out through the room.

“Down here!” I called as Jeff walked into the living room.

“Geez Sierra, you cannot be sad enough to spend your day sitting on the floor.” He said sitting down next to me.

“Why are you back up here? Aren’t you supposed to be on your way to the beach?” I asked leaning my head on his shoulder. He ran his fingers through my hair.

“Madeline forgot her sunglasses up here, so I came up to get them.” Jeff said. “Do you know where they are?”

“Probably in her room, on the dresser.” I mumbled.

“Thanks.” He got up and headed toward her room.

“Hey Jeff?” I hollered.

“What?”

“You haven’t told her yet have you?” He looked confused. “You know, that I kissed you. Because if you had she would have come and tried to kill me.”

“About telling her, do you really think we have to?” He asked.

“Jeff.” I threatened. “She’s earned our trust, you need to tell her.”

“Why do I have to tell her? Why can’t you?”

“If I told her that you kissed me your relationship would most likely be over. If you tell her that I kissed you, she’ll just accuse me of trying to steal you, again.” I said, adding an eye roll.

“Fine, I’ll tell her today, while we are at the beach.” He said heading towards the door.

“Remember our flight leaves at ten. ’Bye Jeff.” I called; he gave me that boyish head nod.

“I love you.” I whispered after he left, wishing that he could hear me. “Ugh.” I moaned lying down on my side. Ebay ran out from under the kitchen table and sniffed my face. I kissed him in the middle of his forehead.

“Ok, I’m not wasting my life sitting on the floor.” I said to myself. I stood up and brushed myself off. “Alright, that’s a step in the right direction.” I contemplated going for a run or sitting on the balcony and reading a book, but just looking at the balcony makes me want to cry so I decided to run.

In ten minutes, I was downstairs stretching out my hamstrings. I started out slow, jogging past the old couples walking their tiny poodles. Could that have been Justin and I? Jeff and I even. I thought back to the day the woman at the park thought Parker Staal was my son; any son of Jeff’s had to be at least that cute. Is that what I gave up? A life full of adorable, heart stopping smiling, hockey-playing kids. I started running faster, towards the big oak tree I had a picnic with Justin under. I stopped and the tears began to fall. I just stood there, and let my shoulders shake as I tried to stop the tears.