Status: Beginning

Happy Times

Albuquerque

Madeline

I looked at Sierra who was sitting on the other side of Jeff. I don’t know how she could sleep through take off. If it wasn’t for her seat belt, she’d be on the floor. I opened my foldout table and took out a notebook and a pencil and begun to write,

On the plane ride to Las Vegas. This is a one in a million moment and I want to capture the essence of it so I’m going to write about it. Everything this that happens will be kept in this book. And I mean EVERYTHING!

I was going to continue but Jeff was looking over my shoulder and I get embarrassed when others read my writing.

I smiled at him as I slowly closed my book.

He sighed, “Oh c’mon Madeline, you won’t even show your boyfriend?”

I shook my head, “No sir.” I said firmly, and then I laughed a little.

He looked at me confused but smiled as well, “What?” He asked.

I shook my head, “I don’t know, I guess the fact that we’re going to Las Vegas for the awards just hit me. I’m super excited.”

He laughed too and put his arm around me, “I’m super excited too but for a different reason,” He whispered in my ear, “I can’t believe I get to come here with you.”

I looked at him and quietly kissed him. Then I rested my head on his shoulder and fell asleep.

Jeff

The plane ride was short as we made it into Albuquerque. The plane couldn’t take us directly to Las Vegas which is fine because I like to stretch my legs and the next flight is only 45 minutes long. We got there a half an hour early and decided to just spend some time exploring the big airport.

“Alright, here we are; gate 21B. Madeline if you want, Sierra and I could go get food if you would stay with the stuff.” I said

She shrugged, “I don’t see why not.”

“Alright, I have my phone, we’ll be back soon.” Sierra agreed.

I waited until we were out of Madeline’s view and I stopped and pushed Sierra into a little alcove in the wall.

“Are you going to tell her?” She asked impatiently.

I bit my lip, “I don’t know, can’t we wait until after Vegas?”

She punched my shoulder, “Jeff!” She exclaimed, “You need to tell her.”

“But why?” I complained, “This trip is suppose to be fun.”

She sighed impatiently, “Fine, you have until after the awards and if you don’t tell her, I will!” I was going to argue but she cut me off, “Jeff! It’s going to be okay. I got over it, didn’t I?”

I winced, thinking about how I did the same thing to Madeline as I did to Sierra, “I’m so sorry about that.” I said as I took her hand.

She pulled her hand away, and walked toward the Starbucks inside the airport. I followed silently understanding that she didn’t want to talk about it.

“Do you want anything?” She asked as she stepped in line and pulled her wallet out of her backpack.

I put my hand over her wallet, “I’ll pay,” I told her.

She agreed and put her wallet back in her bag. We ordered quickly and walked back to Madeline carrying three mocha coffees, two muffins, and a scone. The flight to here was overnight and although the time is different, it felt like morning.

“Hey,” Madeline said as we came back. She was writing in her notebook again and I was dying to know what it said. Noticing that I was staring at it, she quietly closed it and slid it back into her bag.

“We got you a scone and a Latte,” Sierra said handing her the paper bag with the scone and one of the three coffee cups, “I hope that’s okay.”

Madeline nodded, “Yeah, thanks.”

I sat down beside Madeline and kissed her forehead, Sierra was watching my every move. It was awkward with them both here.

“I need to use the restroom,” Sierra announced.

“Me too,” Madeline said as she stood up, “Jeff?” I looked up, “Will you stay with the stuff?”

I nodded and Madeline waited until Sierra turned around before kissing me. “I love you.” She said smiling.

“I love you too.” I answered quietly.

After they left I took out my phone. I had three new messages from my sister Jill, my mom, and my brother Ben.

I decided to call my mom.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hey mom it’s Jeff.” I said.

“Jeff! Hi!” She exclaimed making me almost drop the phone.

I laughed, “Hi mom, where are you guys?”

“We’re in Albuquerque. Gate 21B, What about you?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's kinda short.