Status: Beginning

Happy Times

Insane

“I can’t believe she would do th-“ Jeff yelled, walking back into my room. “Sierra! Sorry, I didn’t know anyone was in here.”

“It’s ok.” I paused. “She ran away, didn’t she? Nobody was in here when I got back so I just figured…” He nodded and slumped down next to me on the bed. I put my hand in his and we just sat for a while.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I whispered, breaking the silence.

“I told her. Then she ran.” Jeff took a deep breath. “She’s going to Paris.”

I sighed. This was worse than I thought; I thought she would just go back to Raleigh, not half-way around the world. “Can I ask you something? I’m being totally serious right now.”

“What?” He said, turning to face me.

“I mean Madeline is my best friend but do you honestly want to spend the rest of your life dealing with someone who runs away every time something doesn’t go their way? I mean like, if you brought home the wrong kind of chips and she got mad and ran away. That’s stupid.” I said, and Jeff gave a weak chuckle. “She has to come home Jeff. She’s not gone forever.”

He ran his hands through his hair. “You’re right, about all of it. Maybe I want her gone forever, I can’t deal with it; the constant happy than sad than happy. Maybe it’s a sign Sierra.”

“What do you mean a sign?”

“Maybe she’s gone because it’s not supposed to be Madeline, it’s supposed to be you.”

My mouth went dry. Did he seriously just say that? I saw a second chance for us, without Madeline, but I didn’t know what to do. I looked up a Jeff.

“Please.” He said. Jeff picked my hands up off my lap and held them in his own.

“I always loved you Jeff. I told Jill that, but Madeline is still my best friend. I don’t know if I can do that to her.”

“She did it to you, but what about Justin?”

“I kind of feel like Justin was just company. So I wasn’t alone when Madeline has you.” I admitted.

“I didn’t seem that way.” He said.

“I tried to be happy, with him, but I wasn’t and I knew that. I just didn’t want to be all alone.”

He pulled me into his chest and I started to cry. “Sierra, you were never alone. I don’t want you to ever be alone.”

I wrapped my arms around him. “When he left though, it was like I had no one, I think it was because Madeline was gone too.”

“You know what,” He looked down at me. “I love you. Madeline and Justin are gone. I think that we should just try and be happy, together.”

“Jeff, do you have any idea how long I have waited for that?” I laughed. He kissed me, “I want us to be together, I love you.”

“You know what people in love do?” I looked at him puzzled. He slid off the bed and onto one knee, grabbing my hand in his. “Sierra, I want us,” He paused and I let out a breath. “To get married. So it can be just us forever.”

My hand flew to my mouth. “Jeff, are you crazy?” I nearly shouted. “I have my family and th-this is insane.”

“Look, I know I don’t have a ring or anything, but I can get one. We are in Vegas, it’s perfect. Listen, Sierra, it’s a promise to each other. Nothing can get between us.” I stood up and he engulfed me in a hug.

He kissed my forehead softly. “I’m getting married.” I said slowly. “I’m going to get married, right now.”

“Is that a yes?”

“Yeah, I-I want to get married.”
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!