Status: Beginning

Happy Times

Confess

“I don’t understand why you’re so mad.” Jeff finally said after I’ve given him the silent treatment for the past ten minutes.

“Who said I was mad?” I questioned. He looked at me with his warm brown eyes. I shrugged and looked away. I felt his eyes watching me and I finally gave up and told him. “I’m mad at myself. I’m jealous. Why am I jealous?” I asked.

Jeff shrugged and sat beside me on the couch. “Who knows?” He whispered soothingly, kissing my cheek.

I turned to him and false smiled. “Is it too much to ask for you to stand up for you’re girlfriend?” I asked harshly.

He looked at me, taken aback, “What?” He asked, obviously confused by my sudden change in feeling.

“I’m serious. I guess a part of it’s jealousy but the other part is humiliation. I get and respect that you and Sierra are friends. I like that you guys are friends but the way you left me earlier. I felt so betrayed.”

He nodded sincerely, “Point taken.”

“I like that you are friends.” I said pleadingly, hoping that he would understand.

“I get it.” He said, and kissed me again, “Relax.”

I was about to kiss Jeff again when my phone rang. I laughed when I read it.

“What?” Jeff asked trying to look at the screen.

“You never told me you saw Max.”

“Um,” Jeff said with his face turning red, “You know, I uh, forgot.”

“Are you still jealous?” I mocked.

“Yes.” He mumbled.

I smirked and got up walking over to his kitcen.

“Have you gone grocery shopping yet?” I asked opening his fridge.

“No.” He grumbles still mad about the jealousy thing.

“Then let’s go!” I said as I grabbed my purse and slid on my shoes.

He grinned, “Like a married couple.”

I tried to continue smiling even though that thought freaks me out, “Sure.”

At the Harris Teeter we practically picked up enough groceries for a family of six, let alone two people.

“Wait!” Jeff said running back down the aisle. I decided to stay in the check-out lane hoping he wouldn’t be too long.

“Juice boxes?” I asked as he placed them in the overflowing cart.

“Yeah tomorrow Sierra and I are gong to the park with Parker. Wanna come?” He asked awkwardly.

I sighed knowing what I felt wasn’t right. I really had the nerve for wanting Jeff all for myself? That’s ridiculous.... is it? Yes, it is ridiculous. I wanted to scream; ‘HECK YEAH I”M COMING!’ but instead I grinned, “Can’t,” I said, “I’m going out to lunch with... with an old friend.”

I could tell the way I was smiling made Jeff uneasy. “What do you mean?” He asked.

I stopped smiling realizing that I was being mean and flat out said it, “I’m going out to lunch with Max.”

“What?” Jeff asked, furious.

I was taking aback by is reaction, I’ve never seen him like this. “What do you mean what?” I asked, trying to stay calm.

“How could you?” He asked more calmly, getting a hold of himself.

“How could I what?” I snapped.

“He’s your ex-boyfriend!”

“Sierra is your ex-girlfriend!”

“You know that’s not the same.” He countered.

“Maybe it is; I get jealous all the same.”

“Madeline, I chose you. I love you. Only you!”

I took a deep breath and sighed. “And I love you. Only you. You’re.... you’re my life.”

Jeff smiled, “You’re my life too.”

“Your total is one eighty three.” The cashier said awkwardly, interrupting our moment.

Jeff took his eyes off me and took out his debit card to pay for the groceries.

“I love you.” He said again after we put all of our groceries in the car.

“I smiled, “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment.