Status: Beginning

Happy Times

I Can't Believe It

“Hey Si, I’m home.” I said as I walked in my apartment.

“Hey Babe,” Jeff’s familiar voice answered.

“Hey.” I said kissing him quickly but he pulled me back and kissed me harder and longer. He wrapped his arms around my back and kept me there for what felt like a lifetime and I loved every minute of it.

“Aw, what’s this?” I asked after he let me go. My kitchen table was covered with a deep blue table cloth and table settings for two.

“A dinner for two,” He answered smiling. “I have something very special to tell you.”

I smiled, “I love it.”

“I love you.” He answered.

I stood there in awe at the table. Jeff came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me and kissed my cheek. I turned to him and kissed him again.

“So what’s the big news?” I ask after we were seated and started to eat our lasagna.

“I’m going to Vegas.” He answered, making me almost choke on my food.

“What?” I asked.

He laughed at my expression, “I’m nominated for the Caulder Trophy and I’m going to the NHL awards in Vegas. I want you to come with me.”

“Of course I will.” I answered smiling.

“Great.” He answered seeming almost relieved.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know.”

I loved how he didn’t know how much I loved him. It made it that much more special.

I almost screamed when I felt Ebay licking my feet. Jeff laughed, “If it weren’t for Ebay we probably wouldn’t have met.”

“Sierra,” I disagreed, “If it weren’t for Sierra we would have never met. I would never have had the guts to go up to you at that petting zoo at the circus.”

“Which would you have rather faced; me or a clown?” He mocked.

“A clown.” I answered.

“You were that scared.”

“You had no idea how scared I was, and then when my hand landed on your knee.” I started to laugh.

Jeff chuckled too, “I know, in my opinion, best part of the day.”

I playfully punched his arm, “Just eat you food.”

“So what now?” I asked after dinner.

He shrugged, “Whatever you want.”

I thought for a second of what we could do but my phone interrupted me. “Hello?” I asked walking into the kitchen, leaving Jeff in the living room.

“Madeline?” Janie answered.

“Hey Janie, what’s up?” I asked my brother’s wife.

“Madeline I have some terrible news.” She answered. “Grandma Madeline died.”

I was named after her and we were really close. “What?” I choked out feeling the lump in my throat.

“I’m so sorry. I knew you guys were close. The funeral is in Virginia since that’s where she was born. We’ll pick you up on our way there from Tennessee. I have to go. I’m really sorry Madeline.”

There was so much I wanted to ask. How did she die? Was she in pain? Was there something I didn’t know about? All I did was hang up. I recall the last time I saw her was in March. I wanted her to meet Jeff but he had a game that weekend.

“Madeline? Are you okay?” Jeff called walking into the kitchen to see me curled up in a ball on the floor.

“She’s gone.” I answered, another tear slid down my cheek.

“Who’s gone?” He asked.

“Madeline.” I answered.

“But you’re right here.” He said, obviously confused.

“Grandma,” I murmured, afraid that if I said anything too long, I would burst into tears.

“Oh Madeline, I’m so sorry,” Jeff said sincerely.

I shook my head and continued to stare at the ground. Jeff wiped the tears off my cheeks and kissed me.

“It’s going to be okay.” He whispered into my ear.

I smiled a little. “Jeff I’m sorry but I can’t do anything tonight. I’m too sad.”

He nodded, “Its fine. C’mon, let’s get you off the kitchen floor.”

I let him partially pick me up and pull me off the floor. I felt disconnected and sad. I just couldn’t believe it.

“I’m tired.” I whispered as he picked me up cradle style in his arms, took me to my bedroom and set me down on my bed. “Thanks.” I mumbled, turning over. Jeff kissed my cheek and tucked me in.

“I love you.” He said before leaving.

“I love you too.” I whispered back.

I was so lucky to have a guy like that. I hoped to never lose him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I spent an hour figuring out where this story was going to go. Get ready for an emotional roller coaster :) and, PLEASE comment!