Young & Wild & Free

the fourteenth

“Merry Christmas, Baby.” Blake smiled, opening the door for her boyfriend as he enterd with a few brown shopping bags in tow. He wasn’t able to go home that year for Christmas, so he - along with several other of the Oilers were invited over to Shawn’s house for the holiday.

“Hello, hello.” He pulled her into a tight hug after setting the bags down. “Mm you smell good.” He grinned. “Merry Christmas.” He spoke gently before pressing his lips to hers.

“Whoa there, children.” Ben Eager razzed as he walked through the entryway with an armful of Jack Horcoff. Taylor flipped his teammate off before wrapping an arm around Blake’s waist and dipping her down, making her squeal loudly and toss her head back with a giggle. Taylor sometimes worried about how deep in he was with Blake. She had him tossing around lots of ideas that he had never considered with a girl before. They had been together for just short of five months and he had never been so serious about a relationship in his life.

“Love you.” She smiled before pecking his lips again, just in time for Tommy to come tearing through the entryway.

“Taylor, sticks!” He bounced on his heels, reaching for his buddy who didn’t mind getting down on the carpet for a little stick hockey.

“You’re not gonna ask me?!” Blake cried, swinging the little boy up into her arms and kissing his pudgy pink cheek.

Tommy giggled wildly, thrashing around in her arms as she walked into the family room. Taylor watched her kiss and tickle the child and he felt his heart skip a beat as it dropped down into his stomach. That could have been their kid one day. But darker hair, almond shaped eyes, maybe his lips.

“Babe? Something to drink?” She asked, taking him from his trance as she stood over the punch bowl in the kitchen.

“What’s that?” He asked, walking over to the bowl that contained the bright pink liquid.

“Party punch.” She winked, making him laugh as he tried some. It tasted mostly like carbonated lemonade and just a little vodka.

“I think I’ll stick with the nog, I’ve got to drive home later.” He insisted. She walked over to him, wrapping her arms around his waist as she looked up into his eyes.

“I’m sorry you have to spend Christmas morning alone.” She frowned, smooting her hands over the lapels of his dark green button up. Jordan had managed to get out of town for two days and Taylor was not to spend the night at the Horcoff’s.

“It sucks but what can you do.” He shrugged. He was rather displeased about spending the morning alone as well, but he respected that the Horcoff’s valued their family time and that he would get to spend as much time as he wanted with Blake on New Year’s.

“Taylor.” Shawn’s voice made his young teammate jump away from his girlfriend in complete surprise.

“Hey Cap.” Taylor smiled as Shawn wrapped his arm around him. “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas.” He laughed. One by one more and more teammates showed up, shuffling into the home and partaking in drinking, chatting around the tree and fireplace, and playing stick hockey with the twins. Phoebe sat in the overstuffed armchair near the fire with Lily in her arms as some of the wives and girlfriends that tagged along fawned over the baby. Lily was dressed in a velveteen red dress with white lace trim as well as a white lace headband around her little blonde head as she stared adoringly up at her mother.

“Hi baby.” Blake grinned, picking up the infant from Phoebe and rocking her gently in her arms. Taylor couldn’t help but let his eyes wander as she held Lily. Blake was dressed in a black skirt and a red cashmere sweater with a boat neck – a delicate gold cross under her collarbone and black tights on her legs. Watching her hold Lily was making him momentarily dizzy and he felt his heart thud against the back of his chest once again. He didn’t know if he’d ever get over that feeling. Would they have a boy or a girl? Would it have had his blonde hair or her long dark hair?

“Tay, wanna hold her?” Blake broke him away from his own thoughts once again as she approached with Lily.

“No.” He shook his head as a reflexive answer. She eyed him oddly and he held up his hands. “Cold fingers, she wouldn’t like it.” He insisted. Blake rolled her eyes and returned Lily to her mother before taking a seat on the lip of the fireplace as she socialized with Ben Eager’s girlfriend, Maria. Taylor looked on, picturing a future with Blake as they had Christmas in their own home some day, a kid or four running around underfoot and their own family surrounding the tree – his family at least. Taylor didn’t know much about Blake’s family, even though there wasn’t much to know. He knew that her parents didn’t understand her “hockey thing” she did, and she had no siblings. He also knew that there was a high risk that she wouldn’t be able to return to Edmonton next year after the season if her parents didn’t think it was worth their money to send her back. Taylor would pay for it himself if he needed to. He only dreaded the day she got accepted to a college far away from him.

He shook his head of the thoughts and crossed the room with drink in hand, cozying up beside her. Blake turned to face her boyfriend as he wrapped an arm around her waist, kissing his lips tenderly for a split second. And in that moment, Taylor knew he was sunk.

“Happy, babe?” She asked, leaning against his shoulder as the older women around them smiled in recognition of their young love.

“Never been happier.”

•••

Later that night, when all the party was said and done, the young couple holed up in Blake’s bedroom to exchange their gifts in private while Shawn sat upstairs with the twins watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

“Babe, we said nothing big.” Blake’s eyes grew as she was presented with a small black velvet box. The two sat on her bed, cross-legged and facing one another like little children.

“As you can see, it’s pretty small.” Taylor grinned cockily as she pulled at the satin bow around the box.

“Taylor…” She shook her head, setting the ribbon aside. She propped the box open, a small gasp leaving her mouth as she eyed the beautiful canary yellow diamond on the platinum band, two small diamonds nestled on either side of the centerpiece. “Taylor, I don’t know what to say… it’s beautiful.” She sighed as she gazed at the jewelry while it sparkled in the reflection of the lights she had draped around the crown molding on her ceiling.

“Say you like it.” Taylor replied softly.

“I love it.” She replied quickly. “I just… I don’t know what this means.” She bit her lip, looking up at him nervously.

“It’s just a promise ring. I promise that I’m all yours, and that you’re mine.” He shrugged his shoulders. “I just love you so much, and I wanted you to know that.” He finished.

“I love you, too.” She leaned across her lap and placed a hand on his cheek, kissing him gently. “You didn’t need to buy me this to tell me that, but it doesn’t hurt.” She laughed, butterflies in her stomach as he slipped it on her finger.

“One more.” He insisted, holding up an envelope.

“Oh God, my present is going to look so stupid!” She groaned, covering her face.

“Come on, open it.” He insisted, laughing, knowing that she was probably feeling pretty overwhelmed. “I promise, I’m going to love whatever you get me.” He added. She uncovered her face, taking the envelope and eyeing him carefully with a small grin on her face. She couldn’t believe how beautiful he was sometimes.

“You gave me a picture of a cabin.” She stated, pulling out the cardstock.

“I rented a cabin! Three weeks from now.” He grinned, “weekend getaway we both need.” He explained.

“You are so much better than I deserve.” She shook her head, launching herself across the space between the two of them, wrapping her arms around him as she hugged him tightly.

“You are exactly what I deserve.” He kissed her cheek as she rest her head on his chest.

“Oh God, what is Shawn going to say?” She asked, cracking a giggle as he huffed impatiently. He propped her up as her face turned bright red with laughter, her long, dark hair falling into her face. “Did you check this against my schedule?” She asked out of pure curiosity as he began to paw at his gift bag from her.

“Of course, who do you think I am?” He scoffed, causing her to roll her eyes at her silly boyfriend.

“Just keep in mind that my gifts are a little more on the practical side.” She bit her lip nervously, knowing that her presents weren’t nearly as great as his. Taylor knew his girlfriend didn’t have the excess cash to spend on extravagant jewelry or trips, but he knew that the fact that she picked out the presents for him was enough.

Taylor reached into the bag that was plump with little presents, pulling out the first tissue-paper wrapped item. Unrolling it, he unraveled an icy blue tie, giving a soft laugh. He knew how much she loved when he wore blue ties because of how well they went with his eyes.

“I thought that one would look really nice on you for game days.” She blushed as he set it on the bed beside him.

“I love it, thank you.” He kissed her lip softly, already reaching for another item. Taylor then unrolled a five pack of his favorite dress socks, the same kind that Jordan constantly stole from his sock drawer at their apartment. Taylor had been photographed more than a handful of times with white ankle socks peeking out from under his dress pants and he had been mortified. “Yes! I needed these!” He laughed, reaching for another item.

“This one I want you to use as soon as possible.” She insisted, knowing what was in the next package as he unfolded a black t-shirt with the X-Men insignia on the front and a large X on the back.

“Professor X, yes.” He laughed, remembering when he had taken her to see the new X-Men movie and he said he would consider wearing a Professor-X shirt one day. “This is perfect.” He insisted.

“Last one.” She announced, “careful.” She added as he picked up the last item. He knew right away from the weight and shape it was a picture frame. Unwrapping the tissue, he revealed the dark wood frame that held two photos – the frame able to fold like a book. On one side, they were at the movie premiere, dressed to the nines and looking like movie stars, while on the other, they were at an open air rink down near a the local middle school, both of them donning one another’s jerseys as the stood on the ice.

Taylor remembered that day, a few days after Thanksgiving, they had so much fun when they got the rink to themselves, goofing around and getting to act like kids for once. Before everything got so complicated.

“I love it.” He smiled softly, feeling himself getting sentimental for once. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.” She found her eyes tearing up a bit as he pulled her into his arms once more, enjoying the sound of his heartbeat through his chest. “I meant what I said, you know.” She whispered.

“What’s that?” He asked in return.

“You are better than I deserve.”
♠ ♠ ♠
hi everyone!
i know it's been a while since i updated this,
but you all have been so great on commenting, i knew i had to post as soon as possible.
so thank you for being vocal, i love to hear it!
feel free to check out my new Ryan Callahan story on my page called "Take Care"
thank you again for all the love
<3