Don't Try and Fix Me, I'm Not Broken

Worry Wort

I spent the weekend on Max's couch. His family didn't mind me just showing up and sleeping on their couch for a few days. I taught some things to Frank at the public library too, and he still seemed shaken up with the fact that I basically changed his whole life on a whim. We went over all the math stuff until he was comfortable with everything, and I also helped him with Spanish class.

Today was Monday, so the mating ceremony was tomorrow and the school was hopping with excitement. I wasn't. I walked to home room and laid my head on the desk. I was dead tired and everyone's chatter was making it hard to sleep for the brief ten minutes in this class. I didn't realize the bell had rung till someone came up to me and asked why I was in there seat. I looked around and the class was mostly empty except for a few people who got to the class super early.

I quickly got up and walked to my next class. The bell rung and I hadn't made it to class. Today was just so overwhelming. I sunk down to the floor and pulled my knees to my chest. I didn't have to go to math just yet. No one was really in the hall ways, just a few straglers or couples sneaking away. Someone sat next to me and it turned out to be Monte. Another fertile I was good friends with.

"Why aren't you in math, Monte?" I asked.

"Could ask you the same thing, Linda" he replied putting some of his blond hair behind his ear.

"Didn't want to go just yet. I assume the same reason as you."

"Close didn't finish my homework so thought I could just be late to class to finish it."

"How did you not finish it? It was partner work and you spend all of your free time with Robert, who was your partner."

"Well seeing as he's my mate, we weren't too worried about math homework. Though the fucker seemed to finish his though." I chuckled.

"Hmmm you guys excited about tomorrow then? You get to move in with each other after the ceremony."

"Please woman, I have had my bags packed for three months." I laughed again. "Are you excited?" He asked.

"No. I don't want to do it."

"Why not?"

"I've been perfectly fine on my own for all these years. I don't need a dom coming around and just dominate my life."

"Sounds to me like you're scared." I looked at him and took in his big brown eyes and his choppy fake blond hair.

"I'm not scared of anything especially a dom." I said looking back at the ground.

"Did you know I refused to be Robert's mate when I met him?" He asked. I shook my head. "Well, it's true he was dating this girl from another school, and when he told me that he thought I was his mate I flipped him off and told him to go back to his bitch of a girlfriend because you don't say your my mate if you got someone on the side."

"And how did that work out?"

"He broke up with her the next day, and said I should at least go on one date with him for all the trouble he went through. And look at us now, we couldn't be happier." There was a small silence before he continued. "You know the fearless only become fearless after they over come their biggest fear, and yours seems like becoming mated."

"You've never met my dad have you?" He shook his head. "Well, my mom was he's one and only mate, and she left him when I was two. Something about couldn't stand being mated with him any longer. He hasn't said a word in over fifteen years. I've never seen anyone so broken." I whispered.

"Yeah, but I bet if you asked him, he would chose loving and losing her instead of never loving her at all. But besides that we have to get math class is only twenty minutes more, and I still haven't finished my homework." He said standing up and offering me a hand. I quickly took it and walked to math while helping him fake good answers.

When we arrived the class was just doing work with their partners from last class and I quickly jumped in helping Frank with all the work load. The rest of the classes went quickly and I sat with my normal friends at lunch plus Frank after I begged him to join us. Of course the conversation consisted of everyone identifying who we were to be mated with. We all decided that Ray was definitely with Bob, which he denied. Mikey was with this guy named Shawn, Max with Ronnie, who blushed furiously while we talked about it, and of course Monte with Robert. Frank was a different story he still haven't wrapped his head around being a vampire and now he was going to get a mate, so we didn't really know who he would be matched with.

The rest of my classes went quickly seeing as I didn't pay attention in any of them. The only one that sucked was English with Oli. Which I blatantly refused to look at him the entire class. He didn't enjoy it that much seeing as he was so mad after class he snapped a human's neck for even looking in his direction. I didn't care that much I knew the human and he deserved it, but I had mixed feeling about Oli. I now had no doubt in my mind he was my mate, but I still didn't want him to be.

Ronnie walked Max and me home. I refused to call my father's house my home because it wasn't. It was a place I lived for most of my life escaping it every weekend and anytime I could. My father was barely my father anymore. I mean yeah, he was a big part of me being born but everything after that he was just the man who payed the bills. My uncle was more like my father. He asked me who my day was, and tried to give me and Max an awkward sex talk after his mate told him to tell us. I think he just felt bad that his brother was a total bum when it came to being a father.

The rest of the day was pretty much a blur I got Ronnie to walk me to my father's house so I can pack my things and officially move out. That and tomorrow I would have to move in with my mate according to vampire law. When I had my bags packed and was about to leave, my dad pulled up in the drive way. He some my bags and his face dropped. I was just going to walk by him and leave forever when he grabbed my arm.

"I never wanted this for you." He said with his voice scratchy from not being used.

"You should've said that years ago because now it's too late." I muttered back.

"Just know that I will always love you."

"No, you'll always love mom. I was just a good replacement for a while." I spat and walked off with Ronnie close behind. He didn't say anything on the way to Max's and neither did I. When he got to the house he said his farewell to everyone before I stopped him right outside.

"Ronnie, I know you've been worrying all day, but don't okay. Everything will work out in the end." I said.

"I'm not worrying about Max. I know we'll be fine. I'm worried about you."

"Why? I'm fine."

"Oli told me what happened." My face dropped and I sat on the steps.

"Since when are you friends with Oli?"

"He's my neighbor; we've been friends for years."

"You won't tell anyone will you?"

"No, that's your job. I just hope you'll do it soon."

"Why?" I asked.

"You always help people with your powers, but you never help yourself. You've been living in that hell hole for longer than anyone should, and your powers have been tearing you apart. But you put on this happy face, and you tell everyone you're fine and just go along with giving everyone else happiness."

"I haven't done anything." I said.

"Robert wouldn't have given Monte a second look if you didn't get that premonition and told Monte to take music instead of art. I know that Frank would've still thought he was human and gotten beaten up everyday of high school if you didn't tell him he wasn't a human. Ray would still be a stuttering mess if you hadn't told him on the first day to stop talking to himself and start talking to everyone else. And I know I never would've looked Max if you hadn't introduced us."

"That was nothing. I didn't do anything special. I just knew without me everything would be a mess."

"Yeah but when are you going to stop worrying about their lives and start worrying about yours?" He asked.

"When someone else worries for me."

"Yeah, sure. Look I'll see you tomorrow and then I'll be like your cousin-in-law or something." I chuckled and waved him good bye. He walked off and I walked inside.

He was wrong. My power wasn't tearing me apart. It was just making my life a little more difficult then it needed to be at the moment. I just needed to learn how to use it is all. My power would be perfectly under control then. I convinced myself. At least tried to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the compliment kiikyta! First comment!