Status: In progress

I See Sparks Fly Whenever You Smile

One.

Brook

"I used to think one day we'd tell the story of us. How we met and the sparks flew instantly. And people would say "they're the lucky ones." I used to know my place was a spot next to you. But now I'm searching the room for an empty seat. Cause lately I don't even know what page you're on..."

The sounds of Taylor Swift's song filled my car as I drove through the familiar streets on my way home from my parents' house. It was a few days before Christmas and I had family coming in to visit from all over the country and after spending a few hours with some of them, I was exhausted. Plus, it was almost midnight.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family. But there is only so many loud Italians one can take in one room before she goes crazy. Especially when she is constantly being interrogated for her life choices.

Yes, I am going to stick with being a high school guidance counselor. Yes, I remember what hell high school was growing up. Yes, I know I'm never going to be a millionaire and no, I'll probably never own my own gigantic home and drive a super expensive car. But most of all, yes, I am content being single. Given my past and my track record, I am in no rush to find another guy who'll just screw me up even more.

I know everyone is just looking out for me because they care and blah, blah, blah, but sometimes I just want to stand on the table and scream that I'm twenty-three years old and I know what I'm doing with my life - Well, at least, I like to pretend I know what I'm doing with my life.

"Oh my God," I gasped, slamming on my brakes as a white and brown ball of fluff dashed into the road. Right in front of my car. "Oh my God. Oh my God," I continued to mumble to myself, throwing the car into park and jumping out just in time to see the dog run into the forest-y area on the other side of the street.

"Please come back," I called out as if it would help, slowly walking passed the trees in search for the dog. It didn't dawn on me until it was too late that it was dark, and I was alone in the middle of the woods and my cell phone was sitting in the cup holder in my still running car. I guess all the horror movies my older brother forced me to watch as a kid didn't teach me anything.

"Oh thank God," I mumbled again when I found the dog sniffing at a tree stump. I slowly made my way towards it, not wanting to scare if off again.

"Hey buddy," I said softly and thankfully the dog came over to me, letting me check the tag that hung from the collar around his neck. "Well, Sebastian, it looks like you don't live too far away from here."

Carefully, I scooped up the dog, again thankful that the dog didn't flinch or whimper in pain as I carried him back to the car. He happily wagged his tail and I began to think maybe I hadn't hit him like I feared.

I sat down in the car and took a minute to compose myself again. I say Sebastian on the passenger's seat and checked the address on the tag one more time before driving off. I made it maybe only a block before Sebastian was crawling back into my lap.

One of the most nerve racking moments of my life happened when I carried the dog up the front steps of the house he came from. How do you tell someone you may have hit their dog?

I barely knocked on the door when a tall, lanky boy about my age came outside. His facial expression changing from stressed to relieved when he saw the dog.

"Oh thank God," he said taking the dog from me. "Where did you find him?"

"I -uh- just a few blocks -uh- away-" I stumbled over my own words, only then noticing how bad my hands were shaking.

"Thank you so much for bringing him back. I have no idea how he got out of the yard. He's never been able to do that before. Do you want to come inside away from the cold?" He asked, noticing my shaking hands.

"No," I shook my head, stuffing my shaking hands into my coat pockets. "We need to get to a Vet," I finally spit out.

"What? Why?" The boy asked, looking less relieved now and more stressed.

"H-He came out of nowhere. And I slammed on my brakes. I-I don't know if I hit him or n-not."

The boy looked a little confused. "He seems fine," he said as the dog wiggled in his arms, occasionally trying to lick his face.

"I know that he looks fine. And he probably is, but I will never, ever be able to sleep if I don't find out for sure. Please."

"Okay. Okay," he caved, realizing how serious I was being. "Let me run inside and grab my keys and phone and everything."

"I'll drive," I offered. "I'm blocking the driveway and my car is already running."

"Okay. Thanks," he said, juggling to put his coat on, lock the front door and carry the dog at the same time.

A few moments later we were in my car heading toward the nearest Vet Office I knew of that was 24 hours. I drove as carefully as I could. I didn't want thus guy thinking I was a shitty driver on the regular.

The awkward silence in the car was making this experience just that much more painful. I was never happier when I saw the sign for the Vet approaching in the distance.

I turned into the parking lot and pulled into the first open space I found and took in a shaky breath as I killed the engine.

"Let's do this," the boy said, leaving the car and waiting for me to get out before heading inside.

When the receptionist asked us why we were there, I felt like crying all over again when he had to explain that I may have hit the dog with my car.

The nurse carefully took "Baz," as I heard the boy refer to him as, and even more carefully loaded him into a carrying crate to bring him in the back. We were informed they were going to give the dog some x-rays to make sure everything was okay.

"It will be a little while," the receptionist advised. "Please fill these out while you wait," she added handing the boy a stack of paperwork on a clipboard with a pencil attached.

I thanked her and went to sit in the mostly empty waiting room.

"I'm really sorry about all this," I said when the chair shifted and he had sat down.

"Hey," he smiled warmly. "It's okay. Accidents happen. Plus, Baz is fine. We don't even have to be here."

I smiled back, only feeling slightly better about the whole thing. "I'm Brook by the way."

Alex

I smiled, extending my hand to shake hers. "Alex."

She shook my hand. "It's nice to meet you, Alex."

I really didn't think we needed to be there. Baz was acting totally and completely like himself and didn't seem to be in any kind of pain. At the same time, I didn't want to take any chances. Plus, I don't think Brook was going to take no for an answer on the matter.

Brook. I have to say, if I could to pick anyone to run my dog over possibly, Brook would definitely be high on the list. She was gorgeous, but beyond that, she seemed like a really great person. Sure, I'd spoken maybe fifty words to her and it took me thirty minutes to learn her name, but I definitely got the vibe that she was worth getting to know better.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

My eyes snapped back to her. "Huh?"

"Your knee, she pointed, "keeps bouncing up and down."

"Oh," I let out a laugh. "Nervous habit, I guess."

"So, you are nervous," she called me out.

I shrugged. "I guess the longer we wait with no news, the longer my brain has to make up its own conclusions."

She smiled at me sadly and there may have been a few tears in her eyes. I'm really sorry."

I shook my head and squeezed her hand lightly. "Don't be sorry. Really. Even if something was wrong, it was an accident. You don't strike me as the type to go mowing down dogs in the road."

"No," she shook her head. "I usually stick to stealing candy from small children."

I smiled at her again and before I could open my mouth to say anything else the vet came out from behind the desk, holding a small crate.

"Mr. Gaskarth," he greeted, shaking my hand. "I'm Doctor Green."

"Nice to meet you, Sir," I replied, letting his hand go. "How is my dog?"

"I think you two should consider yourself very lucky. There is nothing wrong with this guy," he said, letting Baz out of the crate and I quickly picked him up. "Maybe just he's a little hyper."

I smiled. "Thank you, Doctor."

Brook stood up and shook the doctor's hand, thanking him as well.

"The one piece of advice I had for the two of you is to search your yard and see how he got out. You don't want to risk that you will be this lucky a second time around."

I'd picked up on the fact that the doctor was assuming that Brook and myself were together and I figured it was not polite to correct him.

"Thank you. I'm definitely going to do that when I get home."

We said out goodbyes to the doctor once again before Brook and I got back into her car and headed back to the house.

There was more awkward silence in the car, but at least there was less tension now that we knew Baz was definitely okay.

Brook pulled up in front of my house and turned to me. "This is going to sound really crazy. But do you think you would mind taking my number and just calling or texting me in a few days just so I know he's still okay?"

I bit back a laugh. "Brook, you heard Doctor Green. He's fine."

"I know. But please?" She pouted a little.

"Yeah. It's no problem at all. But I'm sure he's going to be fine."

"I know. But still."

I nodded. "I'll be in touch. Don't worry," I assured her.

She passed me her phone. "I guess just call yourself that way my number will come up on your phone."

I nodded, quickly dialing my number and waiting for my phone to ring before disconnecting the call.

I didn't know the girl very well, like I'd mentioned earlier, but if I did, I would have made a crack about her ancient, standard flip cell phone.

Thanks," she said. "I know I must sound crazy."

"I wouldn't say crazy..."

"What would you say?"

"You're sweet. You seem like a great person. Not many people would have done what you have tonight. Most people would have bounced after Baz ran into the woods."

She shrugged. "I like to treat others like I would like to be treated."

He nodded. "That's a good way to live."

She nodded, noticing the time. "Jeez, I didn't realize it would be after 2 AM when we got back. I'm sure this was not how you expected to spend your night."

"No, it really wasn't," I agreed, laughing a little.

"I'm sor-"

"Don't," I cut her off. "Please don't say you're sorry again."

"Okay. I'm sorry. I'll stop," she said, giggling when she realized she still said it again.

"You know what? I have an idea how you can make this up to me..."

"But I thought-"

"Well," I interrupted. "Now, I decided there was something I want."

She looked at me, eyebrow raised. "What do you want?"

"Well, it's 2 AM; what do you think I want?"

She raised her eyebrow even higher. "What?"

"Breakfast."
♠ ♠ ♠
Story title: Taylor Swift - Sparks Fly
Chapter title: Taylor Swift - Enchanted

Thank you for reading! Feel free to let me know what you thought. :)