Status: Just started.

A New Beginning

Chapter 1

Britany grabbed her purse and the huge pile of paperwork from her desk. She was already a mess and being late did not make her life any easier.

Britany had just gotten out of a relationship with her high school sweetheart. She and Michael had been together forever and then one day everything just fell apart. He never called anymore. They never went out either. When they were together Michael had been more interested in checking out the waitress or even girls on dates of their own than talking to Britany. A few days after that date Britany decided she had enough of the relationship. She talked to him and they agreed it was for the best if they see other people, or at least that’s what Michael thought. When they broke up Britany might have kept a straight face, even laughed a bit to make the act seem real, but inside she was about to burst into tears. She loved him and he wanted nothing to do with her. Britany still thought of him almost every day, and she was sure he did not. Her heart broke a little every time she saw him. Britany could see that he was happy, but she could not find a way to get over him.

“Shit!” Britany muttered to herself as she pulled into her work parking spot.
Her boss was already here and she was late for the third time this week. Britany rushed to her work place and started on filing away the million papers she had. She was just about done when Jessi, her assistant, came to say the boss wanted to see her. Britany took a deep breath and walked to his office.
“You wanted to see me, sir?” Britany asked while opening the door.
“Yes, please take a seat.” Britany took a seat, looking down at the floor.
“Britany, I think that…”
“I know what you are going to say. I’ve been late practically this whole week; I haven’t been getting any work done. It’s just that my life has been hard these last two weeks. I really need this job, please give me another chance.” Britany pleaded as she cut her boss off.
“Now listen, Britany, I know you have been going through a lot. I can tell by your work. You are one of our best writers and wouldn’t dream of firing you, but I think it’s time you had a vacation. Time to get your thoughts together. I’ve decided to give you three weeks of vacation. Go have fun, Britany; hang out with some friends.” Her boss replied.
“Oh, thank you, thank you.” Britany said as her boss lead her out of the office.

Britany gathered her belongings and walked to her car. When she got home Britany dropped everything and just fell onto the couch. She stayed there for about an hour before she got a phone call. She looked at the caller ID to see it was Morgan. Britany was shocked; she hadn’t talked to Morgan since she moved Pittsburgh with her boyfriend, Rick, and his family.
“Hello.” Britany said weakly into the phone.
“Hey! I haven’t talked to you in forever, huh?” Morgan replied.
“Yeah, how’s it been? Rick doing ok?”
“We’re both fine. I called to see if you and Michael wanted to come with us to a game this weekend?”
“About Michael… I should have called you when it happened, but we aren’t together anymore.”
“Oh, I’m so sorry. You don’t have to come if you don’t want to.”
“Don’t be, and I would love to come. This might be the one thing I need to get away.”
“Ok, so when do you think you’ll be here?” Morgan asked trying to lighten the conversation up a bit.
“Do you think it would be ok if I came up tomorrow afternoon? I know it’s only Wednesday, but I really need to get away from Memphis.”
“Oh sure! Come on up, I don’t mind and neither will Rick.”
“K, see you tomorrow then, bye.” Britany answered as she hung the phone up.

Britany started to pack a week’s worth of clothes, thinking Morgan might let her stay a little longer. She rolled the suitcase to the front door then went to freshen up a bit. She decided she would leave now, even though she said she would arrive tomorrow afternoon, but hopefully they wouldn’t mind. Britany just need to do something so her mind wouldn’t run to thoughts of Michael, anticipating that driving would do this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it. Comment what you think.... sorry if it isn't that good.