The Outcome

I always knew how it would end. I saw the storyline play out in front of my eyes before it even began. I knew each line of each character; and had already wrapped my head around each twist and turn in the events.

Yet, knowing the outcome of everything, I didn’t attempt to take the other path. At least, not until it was too late. When I came to my senses, the damage had been done and the wounds would never heal. Each day would hold the wind whipping salt into the slash in my flesh, the slash in my heart.

And I only have myself to blame for the pain. It wasn’t his fault. He didn’t know the end of his story. I had played him into a web of my own selfishness, only to be caught in the web myself.

Trapped and alone.

Because of this, maybe you can understand why I did what I did. Or rather, why I’m going to do what I’m going to do. My mind is made up and I see the result in my mind’s eye and nothing is going to change it.

I have to save him, you see. I have to save our friends-no his friends, and let him have the ending he deserved. The ending he would have had if I’d never brought my selfishness to the reservation.

I like to take sick pleasure in the off chance that they’ll mourn what is to become of me. I cry myself to sleep at night with the thoughts of them not caring either way. But that’s the way it’s going to be. That’s the conclusion I’ve drawn up.

And all in the name of love.