The Outcome

Chapter Two

My body was still tingling with the memory of activity as I lay on the couch of Erick’s apartment. Various cuts on my face and neck burned in small hot pain, but the spot in my back was still a chilly reminder of what almost killed me an hour ago.

“He did a number on you didn’t he? Throwing you into the fountain like that, huh?” Erick spoke as he dabbed more alcohol and Neosporin on my cuts.

“So you saw that and didn’t help me sooner? Thanks.” I winced at the burning. “Why don’t you just leave it? I’ll heal anyway.”

“Yeah, Macie, but they’ll heal infected and you’ll have under the skin itching for a week again, just like last time. Remember?” He laughed at me, sweet and quick, while nudging me in the shoulder.

He was being sweet to me right now, so I laughed back with him. This was the way I liked my Alpha best, when it’s just us and he isn’t trying to flex his authority. Things are almost the way they were when we were kids, before the bad happened and I can almost believe he really loves me.

Instead of pulling back from me, his shoulder remains close to mine and his face is close to me cheek. I stop laughing and he stops smiling. The hand closest to my face lets go of the cream and latches onto my cheek instead. I can feel his heart beating and all the emotions he has flows though me, because he’s my Alpha.

I know how he wants to kiss me and claim me as his own. He wants me to serve him and hold onto his every word, like I used to, but I won’t. I know how it ends with us, but Erick thinks he can control fate. He thinks he can control me.

He’s moved closer while I was lost in his emotions and his breath on my cheek is somehow beginning to warm the frost patch on my back. This is what makes things so hard now that we’ve grown older. A part of me wants to give in and let myself be taken over. To let my ending rearrange itself, but most of the time I don’t even have to ruin it for myself. Erick can do that by himself.

It’s only a matter of time before the rest of the boys get here and Erick has to be the big bad leader again. Then comes the possessiveness; the anger and I know he wants the idea of our union more than the real relationship.

“Stop it, Erick.” I hoped there was enough force in my voice

He hesitates for a minute and we just look at each other. Leaning in, I feel his lips press against a newly healed scratch; though soft and slow, I can tell he’s angry. He’ll get over it.

“Well, you’re okay now. Go shower and meet me at Graison’s house. We need to have a meeting.”

“It can’t wait until morning? I’m still a bit shook up.”

“Macie, do what I say.”

And with words like that, what choice did I have?

***

Graison’s house was a shitty little apartment a few streets away from Central Park. It was pretty much the best you could get out of New York on our budget, close enough to be apart of the everyday excitement, but ignored enough to escape most of the crime. The living room was littered with all my boys, my pack.

Erick sat on the edge of the coffee table even though there was an open spot on the couch. He always left on open for me. His eyes locked onto me as I walked in and took in the scene. I could always feel that auburn gaze on my skin; he was a little like sunshine, all golden hair and bronzed skin and heated stares.

Max was sprawled out on the floor in front of the television. His shaggy black hair covered most of his face, except for those green puppy dog eyes. He had on sweat pants and a ratty t-shirt, probably ripped up from phasing. He was a loveable mess, the only boy who didn’t mind being called a dog.

On the end of the sofa was Graison himself, all serious expressions and slicked back brown hair. He, too, was on the edge of the seat like Erick, despite his size. He was Erick’s right hand man, probably the reason he was allowed to live in the second safe house by himself. He was the only one Erick trusted enough to take the secrecy seriously.

Next to him on the couch, relaxing fully with a bandage on his leg, was Brayden, my favorite wolf. He looked older over just big, an abnormal side affect brought on by his wolf. His hair was salt and pepper, and his cheek bones were to die for, but the baby face around it made it all work. Out of all the boys he was the one I knew I could always talk to, who I could trust. He could be a serious as Graison and Erick at times, but then be more playful than Max. I plopped down next to him and poked him lightly in his bandaged leg.

“You doing okay, there?” I asked him.

He recoiled from my invading finger and repositioned his leg to the other angle along the coffee table. “Yeah, he took a chunk out of me, but its growing back fine. I’ll be walking by bedtime. Maybe before that if there’s no poking involved.” He replied back to me.

I smiled big at him when Erick cleared his voice, ready to begin. He shot Brayden and I a warning look, trying to disguise his jealousy. We shared a look and I rolled my eyes. Whatever.

“We did great work out there tonight guys. Macie made it all the way to the extraction point and Brayden only walked away with a scratch. That’s a lot better then the usual.” Erick began.

Bray scoffed at the just a scratch comment, but remained silent otherwise.

“The good news is that after tonight, that is the last vampire we have to kill in this area. The rest have either left or gone into hiding.”

“Finally!,” I called out, “Maybe now I can have a normal junior year of high school.” The thought was glorious. No more moving, no more running, and no more vampires for a while. I could maybe have girls of the same sex, go shopping, finally just have a slice of good old American pie.

The rest of the boys seemed to be happy about it to. Max took his focus off the television and actually sat up. Brayden was still grinning at me and even Graison was cracking a smile. Finally having the time to pursue girls were the only thing they were probably thinking about. But nothing gold ever stays.

“The bad news is that we’re moving. I’ve heard rumors of another pack working with the leeches. It’s our duty to make sure this isn’t true.”

Silence. Then: “Where are we going?” Graison asked, his smile returned to its usual hard line.

“We’re moving across the country. La Push, Washington.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been a long time since i updated; however, University life is taxing and stupid and finally over for summer. Kind of. Summer classes loom. But, finally, here is something for your wait. I'll try to be better about it.