The Outcome

Chapter Twenty

I hadn’t been to Forks in the few months I've lived down here, but one thing I could say about it was that is was green. Lush and mossy and kind of like a fairy tale movie set. The sky was still a murky, grayish blue that always threatened rain, and its color shifted down with the streams of sunlight breaking through the clouds, mixing the colors in a subtle kind of beauty. Basically, it was the perfect breeding ground for vampires. The only drawback being the low population count of the area, missing bodies would always cause high hysteria. Jacob said, however, that the Cullens didn’t feed on humans, instead going after all the animals that roamed the wildness.

Speaking of Jacob, I still didn’t know where we stood. The other packs ran as wolves to where the vampires lived, getting there faster to prepare for our meeting. Since, I couldn’t shift and didn’t have a driver’s license; someone had to take me to them. That someone being a wolf with a convenient little motorcycle. He wasn’t exactly happy about it or unhappy about it for that matter. He just wheeled the bike around, hopped on, and handed me a helmet; gesturing me to climb on behind him.

So, the ride was mostly silent riding through the green that was Forks, Washington. I was okay for the time being, however, I hadn’t been this close to him in weeks. Jake didn’t have to hide his wolf quirks anymore, so he left his jacket at home, his skin running hot enough to protect him from the wind chill. I snuggled myself close to him, soaking up the warmth for as long as I could have it.

We passed through town till we ended up back on the highway. A break in the metal lining came up and Jake took us up in, through a forest of trees. Suddenly, there was the gleam of glass walls, the sharp lines of wood ceilings, and the stench of marbled blood suckers. As the bike came to a slower creep, the smell overwhelmed like it clung to the very trees around us. How could anyone get used to this? Who would want to work with this?

“You get used to the smell, after a while.” Jacob called back to me, like he could hear my thoughts.

“Really?” It wasn’t hard to show my disbelief.

If I wasn’t wrapped around his back, I was sure I would have seen a smirk grace those features of his, “No, actually; you don’t.”

We didn’t stop at the front of the house; instead Jacob followed the drive around back where a large green clearing served as a backyard. Our packs were already there, shifted back into human form and adorned the respectable minimal amount of clothes needed to be in public. At the other end of the clearing stood the vampires I’d heard so much about.

Still as stone, beautiful as if crafted by the Gods, stood seven expensively dressed vampires. So appealing to the human eye, the destruction and cruelty under their pretty facade seemed impossible. The only thing that struck me as different about them were the vivid honey of their eyes. I had heard stories of those who survived on the blood of animals over human, but never had I seen one for myself. A whole coven of them at that.

One with golden hair and a white doctor’s coat stepped forward, slowly, for the benefit of Erick who’d instantly tensed up at the movement. By that time I had dismounted Jake’s bike and taken my place with my boys, flanking Erick’s right side.

“Hello, my name is Carlisle. This is my wife Esme and my children Alice, Jasper, Rosalie, Emmett, and Edward. This is his girlfriend Bella.

I looked over their crystal perfection, honey colored eyes, and soft smiles. I recognized the human girl from the silver Volvo…did he say girlfriend?

“Yes, I’m with a human, but she’s perfectly safe with us.” The golden haired one spoke towards me, answering my thoughts like he could hear them. “I can hear your thoughts, it’s my special ability.”

I stared at him and almost lost my stomach. The rustle of behind me sounded like the lost of comfort, clueing me in that my boys heard and understood what was going on. What the fuck had I let Sam get us into. What the fuck where they getting themselves into.

“Anyway, we heard that you have an ability of your own. I’m a doctor and if I could try to help you understand it if you I were to study your blood…” Carlisle began to explain, but nature began to run its course.

I thought I could handle this, take to these vampires that claimed not to feed on humans, but at the mention of blood everything went back into focus. Nothing would ever change, not with their kind and not with mine.

From over my head, multiple shadows covered the sky and four wolves now stood between myself and the Cullens. Naturally, the vamps took on a defensive stance as well, sensing the oncoming threat. I crouched down low into the grass, as the La Push made moves to put themselves in-between us and them.

It only added insult to injure, we weren't pack, but we shared the sacredness of wolf. Would they really fight us to protect vampires?

“Edward, what is wrong with her? Carlisle would never hurt her.” I heard the human call out to her boyfriend. Jacob must have heard it to, for just as I cocked my head in Bella’s direction he came forward and wrapped his arm around my waist, matching my crouch, but trying to hold me back. I flushed at the warm contact, almost too hot with his desire to shift, but I didn’t miss the flash in Bella’s eyes. Like I had something that belonged to her and she didn’t like it.

So this was the bitch that Jake was in love with? The plain, average, fang banger who broke Jake’s heart when I was trying to get to it in the first place? My problem was that these things were an abomination, feeding on humans or not. They deserved to be massacred, leveled to ceramic dust, and their little human pet could fucking burn with the rest them.

The snarl that ripped out of Edward’s chest was so loud it made me switch my defensive crouch to one that was ready to run away. Mind reading, I forgot. The movement only shifted me back into Jacob’s lap, which he promptly decided it was time to diffuse the situation and picked me up; backing me away from the scene several feet.

Carlisle began to apologize, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to alarm you. I work at the hospital in Forks; I’m around blood all the time. I promise no accidents. I would never set out to harm her.”

“Too bad the female doesn't feel the same way about us.” Edward snapped.

“What do you expect?” Jacob yelled out, “She’s never known vampires that don’t drink blood.”

One-by-one, the vampires brought the tension out of their bodies and relaxed. Sam’s wolf looked to Erick to see if he was satisfied with the doctor’s words, some silent communication passing between them. He relaxed and my boys finally felt comfortable enough to follow his examples. They stalked backwards to the edge of the forest where I was still held tight by Jacob. Erick took his massive head in my direction and nuzzled up against me, prompting Jake to quickly let me go. I inwardly sighed, yes, I was fine. Sorry for fucking up the meeting.

Jake stood next to me and whispered down into my ear. “Looks like we’re going to have to do this another time.”

“You don’t say?” I whispered back to him.

Nothing was going to come from being here today. My pack and I weren't ready to deal with what we had been taught to kill all our lives. What a waste of fucking time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't believe I'm at chapter twenty. Thank you for all the constant support! You truly keep me going.