The Outcome

Chapter Twenty Two

Even though I wasn’t technically a human, it probably wasn’t the best idea to try sneaking into a house full of vampires, but my mind wouldn't be swayed. The short haired vampire, even though I hated to admit it, was the closest thing like me I’d ever met. If I could just talk to her, just her without him dipping into my mind, I might actually be able to learn something.

There weren't any lights on in the house from what I could tell; still I kept to the outskirts of the property on purpose. A twig snapped under my (stupid) foot and the thought occurred to me that she would probably see me coming. She seemed friendly after the first meeting, but would she break the treaty and kill me for trespassing me on her land?

“You could have just used the front door, silly.”

“Fuck!” I jumped about a mile high, managing to tumble out of one my sneakers before falling into a bush at the sound of her voice behind me.

“I’m sorry. But, honestly, I smelled you a mile away. You do live with wolves. I’m Alice, by the way. We never got a chance to personally meet.” She chirped. Actually chirped like our kind weren't sworn enemies.

“Whatever, it was stupid of me to try and sneak up on you in the first place.” I told her, eyeing her as she balanced on a fallen log as if it were nothing. I grabbed at my sneaker and tried to put it on as graceful as possible; dusting myself off as I regained my footing.

“I assume you’re here to talk to me? We should go inside the house.” She hopped from the log and started towards me a little faster than I liked. On instinct I scooted my body further back into the bush, falling all over again.

“Hey, calm down, I’m not going to hurt you. I promise. Let’s just go inside and talk, it’s about to start raining. And these are Jeffery Campbell.” She gestured down to her shoes. Jeffery who? I weighed my options of going inside with her. I didn’t know the layout of her house, how would I escape if something with wrong?

I continued to eye her, but she just smiled at me, golden eyes reflecting the moonlight.

“Fine.”

~~~

I had been trained since I was child to kill vampires and somehow I found myself sitting at a table across from one. With a fucking cup of tea she prepared for me, with honey instead of sugar and some find of cozy thing that wouldn't let the mug burn my palms.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

“So, what why would you come sneaking around a house filled with vampires in the middle of night, Macie? It is Macie, right?” She asked me.

“Yeah, it’s Macie. I wanted to talk to you…Alice?”

“Correct! What did you want to talk to me about? At this hour of all times?”

“Well, you don’t sleep and I didn’t want the boys tailing me. Wait, where are the rest of the bloodsuc-, I mean your family?” I stammered out.

Alice didn’t look offended. “They went out towards Canada to pick up on some game. I was out yesterday so I stayed behind. I don’t mean to be rude, but what is it exactly you want?”

“Jacob told me you can see the future, so can I. I was just wondering…maybe…I don’t even know…” I sighed leaning back into the chair. I had made it this far without a plan, but now I was all tongue-tied with what to say. “Look, just forget it. I don’t even know why I came here.” I started to rise when Alice raised a hand to stop me.

“Edward told me what he saw when he inside your head. I get it. You’re the first person I've met with an ability so similar to mine. I have questions for you too, but I can’t exactly cross the boarder to ask you. What is your power like?” She asked me.

“I can see endings. Not like the end of the world, I don’t think. Like, when someone makes a decision, I can see what the outcome of it is.” I tried to explain her.

“What do you mean the outcome of decisions? What if someone changes their mind? That’s kind of mine works, I can only see the future of current decisions, the path that someone is on right now.”

“It doesn't matter so much with mine. Like, once someone sets a course into action I can only see what will come out at the end of everything, I can’t see the changes in-between, just the finality of it. Pieces anyway…” I went on further. “But lately, I’ve been seeing something different. I don’t know if it’s an ending or a beginning. It’s only happened since I’ve moved to La Push.”

“Oh, that’s so interesting!” she bubbled up, making another forward gesture at me, causing me to force myself back so far I almost fell out of the chair. Again. “Sorry!” she offered again. I needed to get myself together. Even though I’d been raised to feel the opposite, I knew that Alice wouldn't hurt me, not unless I gave her an explicit reason too. I hoped the notion went both ways.

“Yeah, it’s okay. I've never had so many conversations with vampires.” There was a beat of awkward silence before I continued: “There’s a reason I came here. I want you to tell me what you see for my future. I…I feel lost here. Especially now with all this Bella, Jacob, Edward business.”

Alice was quiet for a minute, her honey eyes focused on mine. Then she gave me a sad little smile. “I can’t see anything for your future, Macie. I thought I might since you’re not technically a wolf, but you’re not human either.” She told me.

“But you told us a vision about vampires, none of them are human!” I grumbled towards her.

“I was once a human, that’s why I can see them, and now I’m a vampire; which is why I can see them. I've never experienced being a werewolf, or whatever it is you are. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you.”

Dammit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Over 400 people have viewed this story as of the last update. I am over the moon that such a thing could happen in real life and I am more than grateful! Thank you to those faithful readers and commenters. I am determined now more than ever to keep going with this, instead of keeping it all to myself.

No takers on my question last chapter?