Status: active.

Harmonies

Thirteen.

The three had shifted from the floor to the couch after Benjamin had taken the half-conscious Steven to his truck. Arabella was still in her sweat pants and tank top, as Lennox lay in her lap. Subconsciously, the girl ran her fingers through her brother's soft blonde hair. Her head rested against Benjamin's chest, the simple rise and fall of his torso was soothing. His arm was around her shoulders, holding her close.

On the television, a movie played although none of the three were watching. Lennox was dreaming peacefully in his sleep; Benjamin was lost in his thoughts; Arabella had her eyes closed. "Benjamin?" she whispered, barely touching the silence of the room.

"Yeah?" he said.

The brunette sat up looking at him more closely. "I don't know how to thank you." She bit her lip, hesitating. "I do know that I'm really thankful for you right now though."

"Who was that?" Ben said. His eyes were laced with worry and confusion. He didn't understand what kind of monster would do that to someone. He didn't know why he cared so much about this girl he had just met, but she had a special place in his heart already. The worry was because those were the first words she had said to him besides her original thank you.

She sighed, "My ex-boyfriend. When I adopted Lennox the day of that party, he took one look and walked away. Then he decided that he needed me and that he made a wrong decision. I don't give second chances. Even if I did, he's way past his quota." She shook her head. "Besides, why would I want to stay with someone that would do that when I met this completely amazing guy, who's funny and caring?"

Benjamin's eyebrows furrowed. Jealous fire raged across his eyes. "Oh." was all he said. He didn't like the thought that someone else had managed to work his way up to be so lovely in her eyes.

"Yeah, and he wanted to take me and my brother to the zoo today, but then all this happened and now we are just sitting on my couch, not watching the movie."

This made Benjamin smile widely.