Status: active.

Harmonies

Fourteen.

"My friends are throwing a bonfire. Come with me."

She knew that even though the way he asked wasn't a question, that she had ample reason to decline. The brunette sighed, shaking her head. "I'd love to. I can't though. I have to work tonight."

"What time?" he questioned.

The girl held up two fingers. "In the morning," she added to clarify.

He smiled, "The bonfire will be pretty much over by then. I can take you to work after and I'll pick you up when you're done." It didn't take much more than that to convince her. She hadn't been around anyone but Steven for the last year and she figured that it would be good for her.

Standing from the couch, she stretched. She ran a hand across her face. Where did Lennox disappear to? "Lennox!" The boy was sitting on her bed, watching her lava lamp. Smiling, she picked him up off the bed and put him on her hip. Arabella pulled out a drawer and grabbed Lennox a swimsuit and a t-shirt.

She put him on top of the dresser and exchanged his nice, long-sleeved shirt for the t-shirt. It wasn't going to be cold tonight. Arabella finished changing the boy's clothing when Benjamin walked in and leaned against her doorframe.

He watched her take on the role of mother. She dropped Lennox on the bed, making him laugh as he bounced. As she went back to the dresser, Benjamin realized again exactly how beautiful the girl was and that she was graceful. He had never seen these qualities in anyone before. He had seen beautiful girls, sure, but they didn't have the same oblivious beauty that Arabella had. She didn't know she was beautiful.

She disappeared into the bathroom and Benjamin turned his attention to the small boy, who was now giggling as he jumped on the bed. The older boy captured Lennox in his arms and spun him around. Benjamin smiled as Lennox laughed harder. He had taken a liking to the small child and vice versa. When they were both dizzy, Benjamin sat down on the bed, Lennox in his lap, as they both watched the world spin.

Arabella emerged from the bathroom then and raised an eyebrow at the two curiously. The older boy noticed the door open when he could see properly turned to look at the brunette. He let out a low whistle. "You better cover up. I don't want to have to fight off all my friends tonight," he explained, winking.

She had come out of the bathroom in her bikini top and bottoms, with a pair of shorts over her bottoms. Blushing, she turned toward the chest of drawers and pulled out a tank top, throwing it to cover her torso. "Better?" she asked, laughing.

"Well, I didn't say you had to cover it just now."

Arabella raised her eyebrow suspiciously at him as she pulled her brown curls into a ponytail and let her bangs and too-short hairs frame her round face. She smiled at him as she sat down on the bed. He took her hand and wrapped his fingers through hers. "So," she began with a sly smile, "Are we going to consider this our first or second date? Consider the pizza place wasn't named a date, but it could be considered one."

"Neither were dates," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with an embarrassed smile. "I'll take you on a real date sometime though."