Status: active.

Harmonies

Fifteen.

The fire was rising up to the sky, it's brilliant tendrils reaching for something no one seemed to be able to see. There was music blaring from a stereo system that was hidden in the dark. Around the dancing fire, thick logs were placed. Some people were snuggled up next to the fire already, but most were wandering the beach with plastic cups in their hands.

Lennox rested his head on Arabella's shoulder. They had been there for a little over an hour and he was starting to feel tired. Benjamin had the brunette's hand in his and his grip tightened every time one of his friends would try and hit on her. She was just smile and laugh polite, subtly moving closer to Benjamin.

The girl did enjoy spending time with Benjamin. He was funny and considerate. When she would appear bored, he would tell her a joke or a story from his childhood of all the things he had done.

Arabella had quickly taken over much of Benjamin's attention. Something about her laugh or the way she was so loving and accepting kept him within her unintentional grasp. He was accepting of the fact that the little boy was going to play a major part in her life and his, if she gave him a chance.

"It's so beautiful out tonight," Arabella mused. The sky was alight from the flames but the stars shone brightly besides that. The air was crisp and chilled but not cold. They were settled down by the flames, Lennox resting in Arabella's lap wistfully sleeping, and Benjamin had moved his arm to rest around her shoulders.

"Yeah, they picked a great night to hold this."

Appearing before them, a tall blonde with a model-like stature smiled down at them. "Your son is so cute!" she squealed. It was too late. The blonde hadn't noticed Lennox was sleeping and now he woke groggily. Rubbing his eyes and yawning, he looked around. Arabella released a breath, relieve he hadn't started crying.

"You're really lucky," she paused to brush her bangs out of her eyes. "That he didn't wake up and start crying."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to. My name's Marcy, by the way."

"Bella. Nice to meet you," the brunette glanced at Benjamin who had stiffened. Must be an ex-girlfriend.

The blonde smiled, crouching down next to Lennox to run her fingers through his hair. "Do you mind if I take him off your hands for like fifteen minutes? He's so adorable." Arabella motioned her hand toward his as if to tell her that it was his decision. Lennox was staring at the girl with big eyes and when she made a silly face at him, she had won his heart for the moment.

Marcy picked Lennox up from Arabella's lap. "His name is Lennox," the brunette informed her. When Marcy walked away from the two, Arabella stood. In the back of her mind she was worried about Lennox, but she knew that if Benjamin hadn't said anything, then he would be fine.

She grabbed Benjamin's hands and smirked at him, pulling him off the log and toward the ocean. She walked along the water backwards, smirking at Benjamin as she pulled him along to where the light from the flames no longer touched. "What are we doing out here?" he asked curiously.

"Swimming," she answered simply. "Marcy gave me fifteen minutes and I'm using them." Dropping Benjamin's hands, she pulled her tank top over her head and unbuttoned her shorts, pushing them into the sand and stepping out. Cocking her eyebrow at the boy, she asked, "Do I have to strip you myself?"

Giggling and not giving him a chance to answer, she ran into the water. The water was warm, contradictory to the days. It was always like that. The water never got cold. Submerging herself and swimming away from shore, she broke the surface when she felt to arms wrap around her waist.

"Oh, someone finally decided to come in." She giggled turning in his arms to face him. A smile illuminated his features. Arabella put her hands on his shoulders, helping herself stay above the surface. She couldn't touch the floor, but he was much taller than she and could reach on his tiptoes.

His eyes looked from hers to the full pink lips that were speaking to him. He bit his lip, "Yeah, I wouldn't want to let such a beautiful girl escape." This made her blush. Although it was dark and he couldn't see it, he knew it had. He pushed her body closer to his, feeling the water rush around them.

"It's no fun if there's no chase." With that, she slipped from his arms and he could hear her break the surface and swim farther away. He caught up to her quickly, grabbing one of her wrists and turning around.

"It's plenty more fun if you would just stay here," he said, laughing. He felt it then; her soft lips were pressed against his when he had finished laughing. The kiss was sweet. There was no greed or hunger.

Arabella pulled away, spinning around so she wasn't looking at him. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I - I don't know what I was thinking." For a moment, the strong girl he had met at the party was unsure of herself and her vulnerability was a surprise to him. It was exciting to know that she was comfortable enough to let her guard down.

Benjamin pulled her back and when she was close enough, he kissed her again. This time, he noticed, the kiss tasted salty like the water but there was a hint of spearmint on her breath. He liked this. He was sure, at that moment, that he could be with her for the rest of his life.

Somewhere down the beach, a scream was heard and the two pulled apart quickly, swimming for the shore.