Status: active.

Harmonies

Twenty-Two.

To Arabella, the rapping on the door came at the early morning hours of the afternoon. After carefully moving the sleeping boy's arm from around her waist, she sleepily padded toward the door. Her apartment was cold against the exposed skin of her thighs and shoulders. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, she damned to hell whoever was at the door keeping her from a warm bed and a hot guy. To her surprise, Lennox wasn't presently awake and wasn't awaken by the noise.

Her body froze and her blood ran cold at the person standing behind the door. Steven, in all his asshole glory stood in the hallway, wringing his hands together and looking toward the ground. His brown eyes caught the girl's when the door opened and time froze. In his eyes, she saw their past together and then after that the past disappeared and was replaced by nothing. A blank empty nothing.

Glancing behind her for a moment, the brunette noticed that Ben was no longer in her bed and instead standing a few steps behind her looking between the two. The first words that broke the silence were: "I wasn't expecting him to be here."

And the silence continued.

"Well, he is my boyfriend. So, honestly it should be us not expecting you here." Her voice was icy and in that moment she felt Benjamin's warm hand press into the small of her back.

"Boyfriend?" The word hung in the air; the question it asked remained verbally unanswered; the word felt like butter in his mouth, thick and bitter tasting. This simple word put everyone on edge. Even Steven was scared of himself in that moment because his only thought was that he wanted to kill something or someone.

The two watched intently as Steven's eyes flashed with emotions; first pain, disappointment, hopelessness, then they went blank, and finally settled on anger.

Arabella could feel her knees growing weak; thoughts of what could happen were running through her mind. In the moment before she completely collapsed to the floor, a nervous wreck, Steven's voice echoed through her mind.

"She's mine."

Those two words kept echoing over and over as he stormed away. Next thing she knew it was like her legs turned to jell-o and instead of supporting her weight, crumpled underneath her. Tears ran down her cheeks silently and Benjamin sat next to her, holding her.

A small hand, one too small to belong to anyone other than Lennox touched her cheek after a few moments. When she looked up, her eyes were starting to redden and swell and shining with a beautiful glisten. The tears were under control for the most part.

"Stop crying, Mommy," Lennox said quietly but all seriousness was present in his tone.

A small gasping sob escaped from the brunette's lips at the little child's words. Mommy? The tears started falling slowly once more. This poor child had to deal with their mother and now this. Opening her arms for him, he collapsed in her lap squeezing her midsection as tightly as he could manage.