Status: active.

Harmonies

Nine.

When they walked into the restaurant, the smells of basil and tomatoes mingling filled their senses. The girl looked around the booths. There, in the back of the restaurant, was Benjamin Watson. "I'm with him," she said, motioning to the table where he sat studying his menu as she brushed past the hostess.

She pulled Lennox from her hip and set him in the booth as the older boy looked at her. A smile graced his features. Benjamin's brown hair was pushed to the side across his forehead. His blue eyes were bright and lively, reminding her of the party. "Hey."

"Hi!" Lennox said, his voice excited and rising in pitch. Arabella rolled her eyes at the little boy, sitting down next to him. She rubbed her forehead listening to Benjamin and Lennox's simple conversation.

"Your son is so cute," Benjamin said making Arabella look at him from under her lashes. Benjamin noticed then exactly how beautiful she was.

"He's only my adopted son. Really though, he's my little brother."

The boy across from her furrowed his eyebrows. "How?"

"Long story short, my mom sucks. Child services took him away from her. Ask me if I wanted to adopt him because I have a stable job at the diner." She didn't feel like explaining. She ran her hand through her hair, brushing her curls away from her face. Smirking, she leaned over and set them on top of Lennox's head. He giggled and pulled them, watching them spring back into place quickly.

"Wait, you have a job in a diner?" he asked, confused again.

She smiled. He was cute. It was so nice to have someone to talk to. With Steven, he was never interested in talking about her day or work. He just wanted to kiss her and tease her and have sex with her. "Yeah," she said after a moment. "I work there five nights a week. And play piano for extra cash."

"Is that why you look so tired?" he asked, quietly. He had never felt so rude before, but he had an instant sympathy for this girl in front of him. "I'm sorry. You don't have to answer."

Arabella giggled. "No, it's because he doesn't like sleeping on the same schedule as me and doesn't know how to make his own food," she said, motioning to the little boy still playing with her hair.

The rest of the dinner worked out smoothly. The pizza was great and Lennox was a hit. The three were still sitting at the table when closing time came around. "Excuse me, but I'm going to have to leave," the manager asked sweetly.

"We're so sorry." Arabella grabbed Lennox's sleepy form and put him on her hip. Grabbing her purse and his bag, she settled herself before walking out with Benjamin. "Let's go for a walk."

The night was warmer than the previous nights and it was just the right weather for a beautiful walk in the park. "I know the perfect place," Benjamin said, motioning to his car.