Whatever It Takes

Two

I’m in the bathroom giving myself a final once over. My hair has been pinned up in a sleek bun with the white lace veil and vintage tiara my mom wore at my parents’ wedding positioned strategically around it. My makeup is as close to perfect as it ever will be. I feel like I need to pinch myself to make sure this isn’t all a dream. Just like every little girl, I had the childhood fantasy of one day finding my prince charming and living happily ever after. As I got older, I quickly realized it wasn’t so easy to find the right prince, and some girls never found theirs.

I’ve had my share of failed relationships and broken hearts, just like everyone else, but somehow I’ve always held onto the shred of hope that I’ll one day find my prince charming. Never did I imagine I would find him in the form of a divorced French-Canadian NHL superstar with three boys, but Danny is everything I’ve ever wanted in a man.

Kind and gentle, strong and wise, loyal and passionate. All of those words describe Danny, but he’s so much more than that. The six year age gap has never been an issue, and the fact that he has three children, although challenging at times, is one of the many reasons I fell in love with him. I have no doubt in my mind that Danny is as devoted to his boys has he is to hockey, and somehow that devotion has been extended to me.

I would be lying if I said I don’t have a few butterflies in my stomach. What girl doesn’t on her wedding day? But mostly what I’m feeling is excitement. I can’t wait to start this new chapter in my life with Danny and the boys.

I hear a knock on the door and I call out to see who it is.

“Honey, its mom. Claude’s here to give you something from Danny,” my mom says, her voice slightly muffled by the door.

I take a deep breath and open the door. My mom is standing on the other side with a smile on her face, and I can still see tears brimming in her eyes.

“Oh, Roz. I still can’t get over how beautiful you look.”

“Thank you, mom. You need to save a few of your tears for the ceremony,” I joke, as I gently squeeze her arm.

My mom has always been a sap, and I guess I should have expected she’d be this way on my wedding day. She was a basket case when my older sister, Tara, got married right out of college. It took me a little longer to get married, but my mom is just as emotional today as she was then.

“I can’t help it. You’re my baby and I’m just so happy for you,” she sniffs.

“Aren’t you forgetting about Charlie?”

“You know you’re little brother. He’ll be forty before he finally decides to settle down. You might be my last hope for more grandbabies.”

It’s true, Charlie has always been a bit of a commitment phob, but he’s so good with our two nieces and nephew and I know he’d make a great dad someday. Then my mind shifts to the thought of having a baby with Danny and I can’t help but smile. It’s something we talked about early on in our relationship. I wasn’t sure if he wanted more kids, but it was definitely something I wanted. Danny reassured me that he was open to the idea of having at least two more children and I am satisfied with that.

“Don’t worry too much about Charlie. Some girl is going to walk into his life and completely blindside him,” I tell her.

I realize Claude is still waiting near the doorway with something help behind his back.

I walk towards him. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

Claude takes in my appearance and gives me a smile. “You look beautiful. You’re going to take Danny’s breath away.”

I blush and return his smile. “Thank you, Claude. Do you really think so?”

“Absolutely. He actually sent me in here to give you this,” he says, holding out a white gift bag with silver tissue paper sticking out the top. “I’m supposed to tell you to read what’s in the envelope first. Good luck, Roz. I’ll see you in a little bit,” he says, giving me a kiss on the cheek before he leaves.

It’s just me and my mom in the room now. She has that misty look in her eyes again.

“I’m going to give you some privacy. I need to check to see if Tara needs any help with the kids downstairs anyway. I’ll be back up in a bit,” she says, leaving me alone.

As tactfully and carefully as possible, I sit down on a chair and reach inside the bag to find the card. The envelope is plain white and on the front my name is simply written in Danny’s familiar handwriting. I open the envelope and pull out a piece of Danny’s personal stationary with his initials on the front. I open the card and read his hand written note.

Rosalyn,

It’s hard for me to believe today is the day you finally become my wife. I feel like I’ve dreamt of this since the moment I laid eyes on you. I think I feel in love with you on our third date when you willingly sang karaoke in front of an entire bar without any embarrassment.

Your passion for your job amazes me and your devotion to learning inspires me every day. Your patience for my job and crazy schedule is more than I could ever ask for, and knowing you’re in the stands wearing my number and cheering me on makes me push myself even harder.

Your love for my children is one of the many reasons I fell in love with you. You have a unique relationship with each of them that even I am sometimes envious of.

The most important thing I want you to know is that I love you and I will do whatever it takes to make you happy for the rest of your life. When I recite these vows today, they aren’t just words. I mean them with all my heart.

I hope you will wear the gift I have given you as your “something new.” I can’t wait to see how beautiful you look as I wait at the end of the aisle.

Love Always,
Danny


A few tears slip down my cheeks while reading what Danny wrote, but I also find myself laughing and smiling at some of the things he said. It mirrors my own feelings for him in so many ways.

I reach back inside the bag and pull out a small black velvet box that undeniably holds a piece of jewelry inside. I’m a little hesitant to open it because I’m worried Danny went overboard. I told him I didn’t want or need anything extravagant for a wedding gift, but I knew he would get me something anyway.

I slowly lift the lid and my breath catches in the back of my throat when I see what’s inside. It’s a gorgeous three-stone drop diamond pendant. The necklace is beautiful yet simple and totally me. I wish I could tell him how much I love it and him right now.

A few minutes later, my mom returns, with my sister and her two daughters, Skylar and Ainsley, who are serving as flower girls. They are dressed in their matching white dresses with gold ribbons around the waist. My sister seems to be a frazzled mess, but she’s also in her light pink bridesmaid dress.

“I had to make sure Jude looked ok in his tux because I know Brett would mess it up somehow,” she says. I know her mind is going a million miles a minute. She looks at me. “Roz, you look gorgeous! I’m so sorry I wasn’t up here when you got into your dress. My baby sister is getting married. I can’t believe it.”

“Thank you. Do you think you could help me put this on?” I ask, holding up the jewelry box so she can see the necklace.

Her eyes double in size. “Oh my God, Roz. Is that from Danny? It’s stunning.”

My mom and sister both crowd around me so they can “ow” and “ah” at my gift from Danny. Tara puts the pendant around my neck and it matches perfectly with my dress. I barely have time to admire myself before someone else is knocking on the door. Tara goes over to see who it is. My dad steps inside a few seconds later. It’s the first time he’s seen me in my dress. His eyes are a little misty when he walks up to me.

“Wow. You look like a princess.”

I smile at him and give him a hug. “Thanks, daddy.”

“Your soon-to-be husband is a lucky man, but I want you to know you’ll always be my little girl,” he whispers in my ear before pulling back.

We stare at each other for a second and a knowing look passes between us. My dad and I have always shared a special bond and I don’t ever see that changing.

He clears his throat before speaking. “I think it’s about time. I just saw the three best men walk inside the chapel.”

The butterflies erupt in my stomach again, and before I know it, I’m standing outside the chapel doors, hidden from view, with my right arm linked with my dad’s and my left hand clutching my bouquet of daisies and pink roses. I watch as Tara walks down the aisle, followed by my adorable nieces and nephew. It’s my turn next. The unmistakable sound of “Here Comes the Bride” erupts from the string quartet. I take one final deep breath, squeeze my dad’s arm tightly, and turn the final corner. I’m nervous for about ten seconds when I see all the people who are watching, but then my eyes meet his dark brown ones.

And suddenly, I don’t see anyone else in the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rosalyn's necklace.