They Never Meant a Word of It

Chapter 2

"Cathy, please try to look at me when I'm talking to you." Josh groaned. Was it Josh? Jeremy? Jason? Oh well, who cares? He's the captain of the football team, totally hot, and all mine.

"Hmm?" I did my best to pretend to be interested. I slammed my hot pink jewel-studded mirror shut and stuff the whole thing into my Channel purse. I was never into the whole Coach scene, not good enough for me.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about the rumors I've been hearing" J-something-or-other said glumly.

"Rumors?" Do your best to play dumb, Cat, I know you can.

"Well... it’s just... I've been hearing you've been 'with' other guys." He sighed sounding defeated.

"Oh no no! You know you’re the only one for me...Jay." Jay. Use a cutesy nickname. Nice save on my behalf.

He sighed again. "Cathy, I love you, but please don't use a nickname for me. Jacob or Jake is fine." Shit. It was Jacob. Did I even guess that one?

Saved by the bell, I suppose. The loud ring filled the classroom and we all got up to go. I snatched my purse by its long black handles and walked out the door.

"Bye, Cathy. Love ya." Jacob kissed my cheek. I hate it when people call me Cathy.

I casually stalked down the hallway until I got to my Honors English class. I hated this class. I was actually a pretty good writer (which is why I was in honors) but the only other kids were a bunch of emos. Ya know dark depressive poetry and all that shit?

Something about all those lame kids really bugged me. I mean, they just think I'm awful. They think just because I'm blonde, a cheerleader, and popular means I'm a bitch. I'm really only a bitch because they think I'm one. I wouldn't shove them in mud if they treated me like a human being. Just because I love Britney Spears doesn't mean I'm not into rock stuff, too. I actually play the bass guitar, my neighbor taught me. My neighbor's actually okay. He's emo and all that shit, but sometimes, when we were alone it rubs off on me, too. I can listen to bands like Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers and enjoy it. Actually, I probably like it better than the pop stuff. Tell anyone that and I'll have a footballer break your nose.

Today we were learning about Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet and all that good stuff. We were going to read his story "Hamlet" I believe. A tragedy or whatever. And yes, I am blonde and I can read. Shocking.

You wouldn't know that, though. I always fail on purpose. And once my cheerleading is threatened, I bump my grades up to where they need to be. I could ace every course if I wanted to... which I don't.

This class dragged on even longer because I was paired with some tall skinny emo boy. His name was William or something, I dunno. He was really smart and seemed like an okay-ish person, but he shot me that "you stupid cheerleader whore" glare so I stopped paying attention.

After class was out, I knew everything was golden. Lunch is by far the greatest period of day. I mean, I never eat anything, that would horribly mess up my figure. But, it's a free period to do whatever, so that's always a plus in my book.