Something Close in Me

2

The favourite activity of that day had been to watch the panicked parents wondering whether they should allow their innocent little darlings go to school, or whether they should wrap them up in cotton wool and keep them home. Of course it was simple that when events like this happened parents valued their children more than anything and whatever wrongs they had done in the past were now forgotten because of course, it was their child who was being targeted by a psycho killer. Anything to sell a story.
Thomas Simmons had no target. That was not the way he worked. Laughing to himself as he looked over the news paper reports on the stir he had caused some days ago now. Seemingly more bored than he had been for a while he put the paper aside and reached for his pen and papers.
It seemed in the modern day of forensic science and computer technology, the days where action movies and horror movies were shown to every kid on the street without question, criminals rarely got the credit he solely believed they deserved.
Many reasons stood for the credit. Time was spent, endless hours of planning and hard work went into each of his jobs. Weeks would be spent learning to understand the area before he would begin to make his move. Some of his jobs, the harder ones, had taken him months to organise. And one, only one, had taken him just over a year. Though that had been the best. In that time of planning he had not been bored even once. It had gone to plan excellently and no one had so much as suspected him.
Still, he had no credit for his crimes. No name mention.
Sometimes he wondered what it would be like if his life was an action movie. He was chased and hunted by James Bond. Or, on an American Crime Drama, what of the most wanted list? Did they really exist? What would it take for him to get on it? For his name to be mentioned, furthermore, if he was mentioned what would happen?
Nights were a favourite time for Thomas. Not only were they the best time to watch an area and plan your route but a time of sleeping. Thomas Simmons loved sleeping. At night he dreamt of helicopters, sirens, road blocks and a shoot out. Of course he knew this would not be how it worked. Of course he knew it was only a dream, after all he did not live in one of those shows you see on the T.V. he lived in the real world, but in doing this job, sometimes it was fun to dream.
With the lack of credit out in the open, those who knew what he was doing, his friends, they gave him much attention. Many questions on his current plans and many questions how to be like him. The best question he had so far received was about a topic he had discussed with no one. He still had to prepare his answer. ‘So Tommy, why you do it?’
That would be hard to answer. Not because he did not know the answer, he did. However the difficulty lay with the fact that he never wished to see that man again. The first time he had nearly been caught. The only person to have grown suspicious.
He had, at the time, been an undercover police officer. Thomas had called his bluff. Though as far as he knew the man was now retired. His name was Police Sergeant Ronald Francis. He had worked with the Leeds Metropolitan Police Department. When he had been over there doing a job, he had been arrested not because they caught him red handed simply because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That man had retired now and due to a slip of evidence, Thomas had been realised and by pure accident, they had lost track of him. He could have sworn he had nothing to do with it. It was, of course, pure coincidence.
A secretive smile slipped over his face as he glanced at his plan. A map, so far it was perfect. A few things missing, but the plan was as detailed as it would need to be for this stage. Tomorrow he would look into the area in more detail.