Status: In progress...

Vain Redemption

The Council

I checked my pocket watch and smiled with relief. It was just a little after seven thirty- I was perfectly early.

Not that it had taken me long to find the council's manor. To say it was a large building was an understatement. The colossal marble mansion was practically a land mark in the city of Tera, being both awe-inspiring and horrifying at the same time.

I remembered vaguely, as I waited at the front gates, when I had come here for a school trip when I was still studying at the academy. My school years seemed so long ago now, when in all actuality I had graduated from university only a few years before.

Those were the days, I thought. The days before the unrest and terror in the city. The days before the rumored corruption in the government.

The days before the rebels.

"You there!" a gruff voice pulled me back to the grim present. I looked up and on the other side of the gate was a polished city guard staring me down. Fumbling in my jacket for the letter, I stumbled my words as I said to him,

"My name is Anthony Grand and..and...and the council has called for me..."

He took my letter in his gloved hands and read it over. "The eight o'clock appointment I presume?"

I nodded very quickly and the guard opened the gate. I stepped inside and the gate closed behind me wih a loud crack that was much too loud for the still early morning. "Follow me," the guard said, and I wordlessly marched behind him.

Upon entering the mansion I was shuffled through a number of registration rooms and security checks. At last I found myself in a quaint little sitting room to wait for the council to see me. I let my eyes wander around the room, soaking in every piece of furniture, every painting, even the wall paper that had minescule dots on it. I was a detective, observing was want I did.

"The council will see you now."

I jumped at the sound of the voice. Turning my head towards the door I saw a slight woman with a severe expression on her face. "The council will see you now." she said again, and this time I rose from my chair and followed her into the next room.

The air in the council meeting room was stifling and thick and I had to resist the urge to cough. "Sit there, in that chair," an older man told me. As I sat I began to match the wise faces around the table to those I had seen so clearly etched on the many propaganda posters downtown. The man who had just directed me was council man Ferrard, the "wisest man with the most stunning ideas."

"You're a detective, is that right?" A man I recognized but could not recall the name if asked me.

"Yes, I'm a deceptive by trade, although business has been rather slow lately on my side of the city so..."

He waved a hand to cut me off. "But you aren't just any ordinary detective, are you Mr. Grand?" he asked, and instantly my blood went cold.

"We have heard telling that you posses a gift. One of sight and mind. There is even rumor that you can observe the past." he elaborated.

"Denison, really, you're going to scare the poor kid," an elderly woman scolded, though I barely heard her.

How could they have possibly known about my...gift? I had never told a soul, not even my parents or my brother or my once partner who I had worked closely with. He hadn't even known, and he had been there for every case.

"What you have heard is true," I answered snakily. "I do posses certain...traits. Although I have no idea how you found this information..."

"We have our sources." Ferrard told me, and I shivered. "And Mr. Grand, we have need of your talents."

"I will help," I paused, my voice still trembling, "What would you have me do?"

Ferrard settled back in his chair, satisfied with my response. "Mr. Grand, what do you know of the rebels?"