When I think of You

September 10, 2008

September 10 2008
I found an old lady the other day behind an old house. I stumbled upon her when I was looking for more food and water.
She looked awfully pale and I checked to see if she was alive. She was and she began talking to me.
She told me her name was Eleanor and that she had lost her sight during the storm.
A tree had fallen on her head, racking her head and taking away her sight.
Eleanor asked me if I had any food and I did. Some berries I found on a bush and a couple of bananas. I gave Eleanor a banana and some berries and while she ate, she asked me some questions. Like what my name was.
“Hanna,” I said.
Eleanor nodded. “Just like the Hurricane?” she asked.
“Yes,” I said stiffly. “What’s wrong with that?”
Eleanor smiled and laughed. “Nothing is wrong with that, child. That’s the reason you are still alive, today.” Eleanor pointed out in front of her, even though I was sitting next to her.
I laughed.
“I’m sitting next to you, Eleanor,” I said still laughing.
Eleanor smiled then pointed at me for real this time.
“You are a very special child,” she said. “How old are you?”
“Nine,” I said.
“Where is your family?” she asked.
“Mama and everyone else died during the storm. I’ve been looking and looking for them everywhere. For seven days and I haven’t found them,” I said starting to cry.
“Hush, hush, child. Do not worry. You are not alone,” Eleanor said pulling me close.
I cried more because of how much Eleanor reminded me of Mama.
I fell asleep with Eleanor that night and I had never felt more secure.