Changing on the Fly

Outburst

“Damn, Max I can’t be late for my first NHL regular season game.” I yelled to Max who was in the hotel bathroom.

The summer flew by, and so did the preseason, now it started to hit me that I was actually going to play in the NHL. Tonight I would become the first girl ever to play in an NHL regular season game, against Ottawa in Sweden.

I finally sat on my bed waiting for Max to come out of the bathroom, I was ready a half hour ago, but that was because I was nervous.

“I am ready.” Max said coming out of the bathroom five minutes later.

“It took you long enough princess.” I said getting up.

“A man needs to look good.” He smirked, dusting off his shoulder.

“It would take you years not an hour to make you look good.” I smirked which caused him to throw the closest pillow at me. “Now let’s go.” I said as I got up and headed down to the lobby to meet the rest of the team, before we would get on the bus to bring us to the arena.

“Ciara, you look nice. ” Geno told me when he came into the lobby a few seconds after I got there.

“Just trying to keep up with your good looking self.” I said with a smile, and he just laughed.

“You ready to kick some Ottawa ass?” Cookie said coming up next to me and wrapping an arm around me.

“Hellz yeah, Heatly is going down.” I laughed.

The whole bus ride to the arena was filled with trash talking the Senators, and so was the dressing room. Sidney was the only one who wasn’t joining in the fun. He just sat in his own space doing his stupid routine. I have rituals but his just take it too far.

“Alright, guys quiet down.” Blysma said gaining our attention a couple minutes before warm-ups. “Today’s starters are Fleury, Gonchar, Letang, Geno, Cooke, and Hartmann.” He finished with me. I was starting! I couldn’t believe it, I took a glance around the room and noticed Sidney shooting daggers at me.

“That proves it.” I mumbled to myself but I said it a little too loudly.

“What proves what?” Letang asked as he pulled on his warm-up jersey.

“Nothing.” I said and he was about to tell me that it wasn’t nothing but that’s when coach told us to get out on the ice.

When I stepped out on the ice for warm-ups I lost all the nerves I had before. I was feeling good, no, I was feeling great.

“Aww look how cute a girl is trying to play hockey.” Alfredsson said pulling me out of my train of thought. I just let it go, I knew I could get him back later without words. I remember what my grandfather always told me to be. ‘Ciara if you are silent you can be so deadly.

“She looks like she is about to cry.” Rutuu said coming up to the side of Alfredsson, and once again I ignored them and started stretching.

“You’re not going to say anything back?” Staalsy asked me as he stretched next to me.

“Nope.” I smiled.

“But you always have some great comeback.” He said confused as to why I was quiet.

“Well, in this case I am going to let my skills do my fighting.” I smirked glancing over to the Ottawa players.

“Sometimes I don’t know why you play hockey you are too smart to play a sport like this.” He smiled “But I am so glad you make these stupid choices.”

I stood on the blue line I holding my St. Christopher’s Hockey necklace up to my mouth saying a quick prayer before the National Anthems started.

Finally the game was about to start and I was just waiting for the puck to drop when Heatley spoke “Why don’t you take off those skates and stop pretending you can play hockey and wait for the game to finish and I will fuck you senseless.”

“Really? I thought you had to have a dick to do fuck someone senseless.” I retorted back as the puck dropped and Geno won the faceoff.

Geno dropped the puck back to Letang who then passed it up to Cookie, Cookie brought it over the blue line and then passed it to me and I passed it back to Gonchar who one-timed the shot but Gald made the save but let the rebound. I quickly fought Heatley for the puck and lifted over Gald’s left shoulder and watched the puck hit the back of the net.

I smiled at Heatley before I was almost tackled by Geno, Gonchar, Cookie, and Letang.

“Fucking great goal, C.” Cookie said tapping my helmet.

”Welcome to the season opener between the Ottawa Senators and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Tonight’s starters for the Penguins are Fleury, Letang, Gonchar, Cooke, Malkin, and Hartmann. The starters for the Senators are Auld, Phillips, Kuba, Alfredsson, Heatley, and Fisher. The game will be on right after these few commercials.” The announcer said before the commercial break came on. “Puck is about to drop at the Stolkholm Globe Arena, and Malkin wins the draw and passes to Letang, who gives it to Cooke, Cooke to Hartmann, Hartmann to Gonchar who shoots, Auld stops the puck Hartmann picks it up and scores. And just like that Ciara Hartmann, in her very first game in the NHL on the very first shift, scores her very first goal. Welcome to the NHL Ciara.”

“Good job Ciara.” Coach said to me as I sat down on the bench after my shift ended.

The rest of the game was pretty much equal play, we were down by one in the third and now I took the puck away from Heatley and passed it up to Cooke who went on a breakaway and beat Auld to tie up the game.

“I think you should learn how to use your stick properly and protect that puck.” I said to Heatley the next time we were on the ice together with 8 minutes to go in the game. “Or are you going to call your mommy and cry because you got beat by a girl?”

“You little bitch, I will teach you a lesson.” He chirped.

“All I hear is talk but I don’t see you following through on your threats, you big baby.” I yelled back.

“That’s it.” He said pissed dropping his gloves, and I quickly followed suit.

“What is this, Heatley and Hartmann are chirping back and forth. Heatly just dropped his gloves, and so did Hartmann. And here we go, Heatly takes a shot at Hartmann and connects but it doesn’t even look like it affected her as she comes back with three solid punches to Heatley’s face, and he goes down. Wow, Ciara just schooled Heatley in that fight. Heatley is heading straight to the dressing room as Hartmann goes to the box for five minutes for fighting.” The announcer broadcasted. “Now we are heading to overtime, nothing is better than some free hockey. Hartmann, Malkin, Letang, and Gonchar are on the ice to begin the four on four. Malkin wins the draw and passed it to Hartmann who skates past Alfredsson and Kuba, it’s just her and Auld, and she shoots and scores. Penguins win, thanks to the great effort of Ciara Hartmann, who was plus three on the night. Coming up will be the three stars of the game.” He said before going to commercial break. “Tonight’s third star is Philip Kuba with two assists. The second star of the game is Evgeni Malkin who had one goal and one assist. And the first star of the game is Ciara Hartmann, who had two goals, one assist, and a fight. What away to start her NHL career with a Gorde Howe Hat Trick.”

“Let’s go party” was the first thing Max said after I finished what felt like my millionth interview.

“Party” Geno echoed and everybody agreed.

“Don’t party to long we have a game tomorrow.” Sidney said from in the corner with a look on his face like we had just the game now.

“Whatever you say Captain.” Staal said as he grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the locker room.

“You have a nice bruise forming on your face.” He said as we got into a taxi with Letang, Geno and Max.

“Sweet” I said taking out my phone and taking a picture and sending it to my brother.

This bruise is for you bro.

I think that is the sweetest thing you have ever done for me. :P Great game tonight sis, you are making my friends completely jealous.

Are you using my career to you benefit again?

Why wouldn’t I? Now go party and call me when you get back to the states. Love you C.

“Who was that?” Max questioned.

“Just my brother, but let’s get are party on we don’t want to be too late and have a pissy capitan.”

“True that.”

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*

Everybody but me went out to celebrate our win tonight, wait, I mean Ciara’s win tonight. That’s how NHL on the Fly is portraying it anyway. It’s Hartmann this, and Hartmann that. Hartmann got a Gordie Howe hat trick. The Penguins wouldn’t have won if it wasn’t for Hartmann. If Hartmann keeps playing like this there is no doubt that she will win the Calder, and there is a good chance she could win the Hart.

“It’s only the first game, what the fuck do you know” I yelled at the TV before changing the channel to Sports Center.

“Here are the Sports center top ten plays.” The announcer said. The first 7 were of different baseball plays. “Number 3 Ciara Hartmann’s first goal, Number 2 Hartmann’s game winning goal, and number 1 top play is Hartmann’s fight verse Dany Heatley.”

“Fucking Christ” I yelled at the TV finally just turning it off as the Letang walked in.

“Sid what’s wrong?” Kris asked serious.

“It’s nothing” I quickly said getting up and heading to the bathroom to change, hoping he would just drop it. But when I came out of the bathroom Kris was just sitting there looking at me.

“I know it’s not nothing.” He said simply.

“Kris I don’t want to talk about it.” I said.

“Fine let’s talk about something else. Ciara had a good game tonight.” I internally groaned.

“Yeah it was ok.” I said laying down.

“Ok? Man she owned the ice.” Kris said enthusiastically.

“”Yeah whatever, I am going to bed man.” I said so I didn’t have to hear any more of this bull shit about Ciara being so good, better than Gretzky.

The next game went the same way as the first Ciara scored the twice and had two assists, while I had nothing, but that’s because I don’t play well in Europe. At least now we get to head back to Pittsburgh.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*

“Ciara get the door.” Max yelled from his room when a knock came from the front door.

“Fine but you are getting it next time.” I said getting off the couch and opening up the door.

“Dad?”

“Hey C.” he said giving me a hug.

“What are you doing here? I thought you weren’t supposed to be here till Friday night?” I questioned motioning him in.

“We weren’t but we thought we would come have a weeklong stay.” He smiled.

“We?” I questioned.

“Oh you’re sister and brother dropped me off while they went to get something and drop the bags at the hotel.” He smiled at me.

“So everyone is here then for the week?” I questioned.

“We were upset that we couldn’t make it to Sweden so we had to spend a little extra time with you before your season got to hectic.” He smiled

“Ciara who was at the door?” Max asked coming into the foyer.

“Max I would like you to meet my dad, dad this is Maxime Talbot.” I introduced the two of them.

“It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Hartmann.” Max said sticking out his hand for a handshake.

“Same here, but please call me Ralph.” My dad replied shaking Max’s hand.

“Come on in have a seat, Dad.” I said realizing we were still standing in the door way. “So what are Elaina and Matt getting?” I questioned.

“You’ll see when they get here.” He said suspiciously.

“Really?” I asked and he just nodded. “Fine” I pouted.

“Anyone want coffee?” Max said from the kitchen my dad and I both said yes.

“So Ciara, how was Sweden?” he asked.

“It was nice, it was cool playing hockey over there but I am glad I get to play home on Saturday in front of the home crowd.” I smiled at him.

“Yeah, and who are you going to fight this time?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

I smirked at him but before I could say anything the door opened. “The party has arrived.” Jordan’s voice said.

“Max I told you to lock the door you never know who might wander in.” I yelled.

“Damn I knew I forgot something.” He said coming from the kitchen with 3 cups of coffee. I introduced my dad to Jordan and Geno who walked in a few minutes later.

“So C. you didn’t answer my question.” My dad turned back to me.

“If I had to choose someone I really want to fight against on the Devils I would have to go with Mike Rupp.”

“Smart girl” he said smiling then there was a knock on the door.

“It’s gonna be your brother and sister.” My dad said as I got up to get the door.

When I opened the door I was attacked by my brother. “Missed you too bro.” I laughed.

“He was freaking out all the way here.” Elaina said as he pulled away and I could give her a hug.

“Was not” Matt said

“Was too” Elaina said right back.

“Do I need to split you two up?” I asked them.

“No but we have something for you.” They said together before signaling two people who were in the car that I didn’t notice before.

“Ciara” Kaner yelled getting out of the car and running up to me.

“PK, what are you doing here?” I questioned as he enveloped me into a hug.

“Can’t I come and visit my best friend?” He asked.

“You can but the season just started, don’t you have games?” I said confused.

“Not until Friday you get me today and tomorrow.” He smiled at me as he kept an arm around my shoulder and turned.

“Good.” I smiled as I looked to see where he was looking.

“So I brought my Capitan with me, Ciara Hartmann, this is Jonathan Toews, Jon this is Ciara.” He introduced us.

“Nice to meet you” I said shaking his hand.

“Same.” He said in a monotone voice.

“Well come on in.” I said walking into the living room.

“What are the enemies doing here?” Max asked.

“Coming to visit me.” I smiled.

“You guys didn’t have to do this.” I said to everyone was in on it.

“Well we did” Pat said. “I called Matt after I watched your first game and set it all up. I needed to congratulate you in person.”

“And I agreed to this because that meant that Dad, Elaina, and I would get to come here early.” Matt smiled.

“The only reason Jon came was because he needed to make sure I didn’t do anything stupid.” Pat said.

“That’s a lie I needed to see the reason why Pat got so pissed off that the Penguins drafted you before we had the chance to.” He smiled, “and after your opening game I completely understand why, you are like a magician with a stick.”

“Don’t make her ego get any bigger.” Staal said before there was a knock on the door.

“Who else would be here?” Max groaned getting up and getting the door.

“Hey Sid, Kris” everyone said as they walked into the living room.

“Hey guys?” they said really confused.

“What are they doing here?” Sidney said sounding pissed.

“They are here visiting me for a couple days, Pat is one of my best friends.” I said defending myself.

“Whatever.” He stated and I have had enough with his attitude.

“What the fuck is your problem?” I said angrily at him.

“Nothing.” He said looking nervously around the room nervously.

“Be right back guys.” I said as I grabbed Sid’s arm and pulled him into my room. “Seriously what the fuck is your problem?” I asked again getting really pissed off.

“I don’t have a fucking problem.” He said.

“Then why do you fucking stare me down when I walk in a room and look you want to kill me?” I asked.

“Your right I do have a problem and it’s you. You have been a fucking pain in the ass ever since you got here. Scratch that ever since you were drafted you have been a pain the ass. Nobody else sees what I see you to be.” He screamed at me.

“What do you see me to be?” I asked really pissed off.

“I see you to be a whore who just wants to sleep with every player and screw us over.” He said pacing.

“Really is that why I work my fucking ass off to make sure our team does well. Is that why I don’t throw myself over everyone? Or is it because you can’t take someone being better than you?” I asked and he looked like he was about to punch something.

“Fuck you” he said before storming out, I followed him out a few seconds later and noticed he was gone.

“Sorry about him” Letang said.

“It’s all right at least now I know the truth.” I said putting on a smile.

“Well let’s go get some food.” Kaner said getting up off the couch, “Lunch is on Jon.”

“What, who decided this?” Jon asked surprised when Kaner said that.

“I just did.” Kaner smirked and got out of Jon’s way before he could get hit.

Max pulled me aside before we headed to the restaurant to get lunch. “Ciara, nobody else on the team thinks that. It is just Sidney who does, and that’s because you are better than him and it scares the shit out of him.”

“Thanks Max” I smiled at him. “That means a lot” I said as we headed outside. “Now let’s eat the free lunch courtesy of Jon.”

“I am going to kill you Pat.” Jon said loudly.

“Then where you would you be without your kick ass line mate?” he smirked, god how Pat can cheer me up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe :)