‹ Prequel: I Woke Up in a Car

Yesterday's Feelings

16

To consider John's 'Home' was still a concept I wasn't quite used to. John and I sharing a bed, while not totally unfamiliar, was still something I wasn't used to either. I could only think in my mind that this was some short vacation and that one morning, John would not be there, Dani would be in her old room, and we'd be back in New York. It was as though I was dreaming, I had to honestly pinch myself after the second morning to remember that this was indeed, not a dream.

John had cleared out space in his dresser and closet for my things. The truck had arrived a week before and John had taken it upon himself to move my things in, though he didn't open a single box. The house was relatively empty, in-fact, it was just John, Danielle, and I in the house. The roommates had gone south to chase the winter, Eric was in California with Eli (though he didn't elaborate), which left just us.

I grabbed a box and opened it, unwrapping a picture frame. The picture was of John and I in New York at the old house. It was one I had taken the night Danielle was ill. It was one of my all-time favorites and I had kept it on my nightstand. I set the picture aside and continued to unwrap frame after frame, some of my sister, some of me, some of my parents, some of my mother and gene. I unwrapped one of Gene, my mother, and Danielle and sighed, touching the glass.

John leaned over my shoulder as he also was unpacking a box, "We can hang that one in Dani's room if you want." John suggested.

I gave a small nod, "I think she'd like that." I said, setting the picture aside from the pile of frames. I paused, "What are we going to do with all these?" I asked, looking at John a little.

"You live here too. Hang them." John said.

I made a slight face, "John, no one wants to see my ugly mug on these walls." I retorted, looking in to the last third of the box. I grabbed another frame and started peeling back the paper. It was nearly unwrapped when I changed my mind and re-wrapped it. The next two frames were the same. Pictures of Eric and I, that, I guess I had never thrown out.

John shrugged, "You're not ugly, you're beautiful." John said, "Well, you could leave a few and re-wrap the rest and we'll leave the box... in the garage or something you know." John suggested as he reached in to his box.

I nodded, "Sounds like a plan." I said, sifting through the frames to re-wrap and pack almost all of them back away. I made sure all the ones of Eric and I were on the bottom. I guess I hadn't really had the courage to throw the old photos away after all this time.

John and I remained quiet as we continued to sift through boxes, Dani was outside playing with the dogs, coming and going as she pleased. "Hey.." John said as he sifted through a box labeled, 'MISC'.

I glaced over to see his box contents on the floor. Mostly just old school papers, things that had been in an old hope chest my parents had gotten me. It was up in John's room, waiting to be re-filled with things. "Oh, you can just toss some of that stuff back in the box. It goes in the hope chest from my parents."

"Even these?" John asked with brows raised and a devious grin on his face as he raised the racy, red, lace lingerie from the box.

My face turned bright red as I reached for the pair of lingerie from John, "Come on. Not funny John."

John held them over my head, "It's very funny." John said as he put an arm around me since I was so close to him.

My body pressed close against John's as I stretched to reach for the lingerie. This was why I hated dating taller men. The item was far beyond my reach. "Come on, just give them to me." I said.

John shook his head, "Only if you promise to wear them for me." John smirked and winked at me.

I rolled my eyes, "I can't wear those for you now." I said, "You've seen them." I said, backing away from him a little as I stopped reaching for the underwear. I could play this as well as John could. I looked at the floor, pretending to be all shy before looking back up at John, "I guess I'll just have to find something else all lace and see-through to wear for you." My hands idly running over his chest.

John had slowly begun to bring his hand holding the underwear down as I pretended to be shy and bashful. Before I knew it, John was almost pouting, "But I like the red ones." He whispered before he leaned in with a gentle kiss.

I smirked against his lips, snatching the underwear from his hand, "I'll find something better." I said, "Promise." My cheek, underwear and all, rested against John's cheek as I returned the kiss.

John and I stood there just kissing and him holding me for what seemed like a while. Just us and the silence and each other. It was a wonderful break. I figured we should take advantage of the empty house while we could. Before everyone got back and the house was filled with roommates and toddlers and before things just got too crazy. I must have thought about that way too soon. As soon as that thought crossed my mind, the door swung open, Eric coming in with Eli fast asleep in his arms, heading right upstairs.

John and I separated, chuckling as Eric was already half-way upstairs, "Bro, you born in a barn?" John asked as I pulled back.

"I got it." I said, heading to close the door. I was just reaching the door, "See it's—" I paused when I saw a brunette woman standing at the threshold to the door.

"Well, well, look what the dirty Rasta dragged in." Rachel sneered at me with the same condescending, trashy tone as before. "Eric mentioned you were back for good." She smirked, "What a striking co-incidence, me too!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Let The Flames Begin by Paramore

Hope everyone is doing well.

Feedback is much appreciated!