Status: Finished

Venemous Turn

Chapter 4: Don't Go (Leon's POV)

“She’s going to be ok isn’t she?” I asked the medic closest to me.

“I’m not sure. I’m amazed she made it this far. She seemed to have banged up her head and has lots of cuts of different depths all over. I think there may be some glass that stayed inside and we don’t know what damage that may have done.” She told me as she turned to Avery. “Ma’am can you tell me your name?”

“Avery, my names Avery Peirce.” She whispered.

“Ok Avery tell me the last thing you remember?” the medic questioned.

“I was on my way up to the cabin. I had just gotten off the phone after arguing with Leon. I was distracted wondering about all these things from the past few months. I tried to make the curve in time but I couldn’t as the car started turning over and over. I managed to get out but I was feeling horrible. I tried to go back to the road but I could barely move. Then I can’t remember anything.” She said looking at anything but me.

I just hung my head as the medic walked around making sure everything was working and patching up what she could in the ambulance. Finally I raised my head to find Avery looking at me with sadness in her eyes but it killed me. She looked so damaged from the accident and it seemed to enhance her sadness. I held her hand to face wishing I could undo these past weeks and months. Maybe then we wouldn’t be in this mess.

“I’m sorry Avery. I screwed up bad this time. I should have been with you.” I told her hand close.

“It’s ok. I know you’re busy trying to focus on your future.” She said trying to be sincere, but I knew it was my fault, “Sometimes I just feel like I don’t matter that much to you anymore. I just miss you, and I miss the way we use to be together.”

I closed my eyes as wave upon wave of regret started to flow upon me with each word she said. I took a deep breathe before I could reply, “Avery you are everything to me. I’m sorry you felt like you weren’t important. I should have done better at handling everything, but I was so focused on the future for us. I wanted to make sure that we would have a good future where I could provide for you the best I could. My future wouldn’t work if I didn’t have you with me. I didn’t see that I was loosing precious moments with you by dreaming of the ones we could have. I won’t do that again I promise. Just please tell me you can forgive me for the idiot I’ve been.”

Just as I finished I heard the most horrible haunting sound I had ever known a long beeping sound, she had flat lined. I looked up at her and the machine praying I was just hearing the noise in my head. Her eyes were closed as the medic was starting to do chest compressions. That’s when I realized that the hand I was holding was no longer squeezing back. It had gone completely limp and I had refused to notice it.

“No, Avery you can’t do this to me. Please baby you need to stay with me. Don’t leave me alone, come back. You’re stronger than this. Please don’t do this to me. I love you so much, you can’t leave me.” I was begging speaking against her hand.

I just kept repeating my ramblings over and over but the sound wouldn’t stop. I couldn’t feel my heart anymore either. It might as well have stopped with hers. I couldn’t loose her after all this, it made no sense. I had thought I would get to prove to her how sorry I was but now the only memories I could think of was the ones of our arguments and all my idiot mistakes. I let my hand fall limp in my lap as hers still rested on top of mine.

“I’m such an idiot. What am I ever going to do with out you? I love you to much to let you go. Please Avery just come back.” I whispered.

It had passed six minutes as the medic was doing what she claimed to be the last of her attempts to resuscitate Avery back to life before she would call the time of death. I just looked at Avery not paying any attention to the medic begging her to just squeeze my hand or open her eyes for me. It felt like hours had passed and I thought I felt her hand twitch. I was afraid to hope that maybe the medic’s last attempt had worked. Then I felt the tender touch of her hand squeezing mine. I looked down at her hand as I felt tears near my eyes as I squeezed her hand back. When I turned my gaze I was face to face with what I had always known as the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen.

“Babe don’t you ever do that to me again. I swore I thought I had lost for good. I can’t loose you.” I murmured into her hand loud enough for her to hear.

“I’m here, and I still love you. I forgive you.” She said smiling.

“I love you too so much. I promise you I’ll be there more often now. You can count on that.” I told her as I kissed her lips.

As we finally arrived at the hospital I did the hardest thing since her temporary death, I let go of her hand so she could be taken to surgery and given an overview by the doctors. I called Amber Rose who was with Lance and Lacy as I filled them in on what I knew so far. They told me to call when we got an update on her condition but we knew that now she would hopefully be fine. All I know is no longer would I take Avery for granted. That turn had nearly cost me the one I loved because I had my priorities wrong, but I couldn’t let that happen again, never again. Avery had told me something once and now I knew it was true, love is the only thing that matters but you both have to be willing to prove it. Prove it was exactly what we were going to do.