Attractions

Chapter Three

The next two days honestly killed me to not see or even talk to Star. I had no idea where she was and Nat was not letting up.

“Come on Nat! Just give a hint!”

“She isn’t near you,” was all she said, before taking my stick and waltzing onto the ice to shoot pucks on Turco and Crawford. Sharp wasn’t too far behind her.

Poor Sharpie. He had it bad for the goal tending coach Natalie and would give up just about anything to have a chance with her.

Ha. Good thing Star and I weren’t together or anything. I have no attachments to her whatsoever. Nope. Not me. Not Star.

“Kaner, your face tells us that you’re constipated. Go buy laxatives,” Tazer said as him and Seabsy passed by, making me want to throw a puck at his head.

“You sleep with Star again?” Stalberg asked as we started skating laps around the ice.

“Maybe,” I shrugged, trying to be cool and calm, much like my sleeping buddy, I didn’t really like the term sex buddy for Star, so I used sleeping buddy for her and her only.

That still didn’t mean that I liked her like Sharpie liked Natalie.

He laughed to himself. “Relax, I don’t think I have any room to judge you man. It was just a question.”

I sighed. “Yeah.”

He nodded. “Nice. She’s a good catch.”

My anger flared ever so slightly. “What do you mean by that?”

He raised an eyebrow. “You are temperamental today, aren’t you? I meant that she’s a good girl and you two go well together.”

“We’re not together!” I exclaimed, throwing my stick up and knocking Crawford in the back of the head.

“I don’t care if you and Stalberg are together, separated, divorced, or coming out of the closet together but DON’T TOUCH MY GOALTENDER!” Natalie shouted at me and we scrambled away before she could take our heads off. Coach was scary only sometimes but if I had to choose between Coach and Nat of who would kill me faster and more violently, Natalie would win hands down.

That night, I got home late from the game and was honestly exhausted from playing against the Calgary Flames. It was a close game, but we couldn’t get out from beneath them.

I collapsed onto my bed and sighed into my pillows. Sleep.

It was the laugh that made me jump and fall off my bed. “Sorry hon, didn’t think you were that jumpy.”

I climbed back onto my bed and laughed weakly. “I always forget that I gave you a key Star.”

The woman stood in my doorway, smiling, looking tanner than usual and just absolutely stunning.

I looked her up and down, taking in her unusual but familiar appearance. Today it was purple tights, white shorts, and a purple leopard print baggy shirt. Her blonde hair was recently re-dyed and loose from the usual pony tail holder.

“Caught the recap on the radio on my way over here,” she said. “You look exhausted.”

I stifled a yawn, really wanting another passionate night with Star. “Nah, I’m good.”

A smirk crossed her lips as she crossed my floors and sat next to me on my bed, her fingers dancing across my skin. “Darling, you’re already falling asleep and I’ve barely touched you.”

“Damn, I’m sorry Star,” I yawned and cuddled up with my pillow. “I’m just too tired to handle your moves tonight,” I smiled to myself, as her fingers traced circles on my back.

“Don’t be sorry Patty,” she whispered and I fell asleep to her humming a familiar song.

I woke with a start the next morning, my hand roaming my bed for its usual companion.

“Jesus Patty, that’s my face,” she complained, muffled by my hand.

I sat up and stretched. “Didn’t think you’d stay the night.”

She rolled her eyes playfully. “I can be a caring, innocent slut you know,” she smiled and threw a shirt at me. “Come on, we’re late for practice.”

“We?” I raised an eyebrow, amused.

“I haven’t seen Nat in a while,” she pouted.

I laughed. “All right. I’ll take you. Give me a few moments.”

Her face brightened. “I’ll drive!” she shouted, scrambling out of bed, snapping up a pair of heels and her famous Eskimo boots and running to start up my car.

Fifteen minutes later she was driving us towards the UC, bopping along to a popular song on the radio.

“Who do you play tonight?” she asked, making a turn onto Madison.

“Detroit actually. Are you coming?”

She thought about it and at a stop light, quickly checked her phone. She frowned and threw it in the cup holder. “No,” she grumbled. “Meeting.”

“With?” I prompted. Anything to learn more about her.

She smiled slyly. “With the magical elf that is technically called my boss.”

“So, you do have a boss!” I grinned. “What’s their name?”

“You don’t know them Pat.”

It was my turn to pout. “Maybe I know where you work?”

“Nice try sweetie, but no,” she said, putting the car into park. “Come on, we’re late for practice and you know how Q gets when you’re late.”

There was one thing more I knew about Starlyn Taylor.