Glitter

i heard about you before, i wanted to know some more

I can't remember how I wound up downstairs, back out on the streets but I was.

I couldn't stay in that place any more. I couldn't walk into that apartment and pretend that the memories they held weren't as painful as they truly were. I couldn't think straight, and I didn't want to.

All I cared about was getting out of there and just forgetting about everything Alex and Nora for a little bit. And so I ran- to where exactly, I wasn't so sure. But I walked until I couldn't go any further, and then some.

It was only until I had slowed down that I realized I had gotten myself completely lost.

New York City wasn't a great place to go exploring at night, especially when the only ways you knew to get back home was to follow the bus routes - all of which were no longer recognizable under the cover of night.

The tears that had long since dried on my cheeks resurfaced once I realized I was lost.

Wrapping my arms around myself, I pushed myself forward until I couldn't feel my legs any more. It was chance that led me to the foot of the Empire State Building and luck that brought me the one person I hadn't expected to ever want to see me again.

Jake was just exiting the building; curiously sober.

Once he had reached the edge of the curb, hand on the handle of his car door, he turned around and saw me leaning against a wall.

"Dianna?" he asked, incredulous.

I tried to smile at him, but couldn't.

I was so, so tired.

My silence must have worried him because he walked towards me and peered at my face.

"Are you ok?"

The second wave of tears rushed forward and I brought my hands to hide behind. The sobs that racked through me mimicked the way I had been crying for the past three hours.

"Dianna, what happened? What's wrong?"

For the second time that night, arms wound themselves around me and held me tight. Only, this time, the embrace didn't feel as controlled as the other had been. Jake hugged me with a warmth that surprised me.

"I... I ..." I couldn't finish.

Standing by the side of the road, in the middle of the rushing crowd, Jake let me cry for a few seconds before he cupped the side of my face with his hand and made me look at him.

"What happened, Dianna?"

I looked up, into the brown eyes that were so similar in shade to Alex's - was there ever going to be a time where I would ever stop thinking of him? - and did the first thing that came to mind.

I stood on my toes and kissed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter cred:: honey honey by abba.

short chapter, you like? ;)