Status: Inactive

The Truth about Forever

O N E ;

"Charlie! Hurry up! Mama said she ain't gonna wait all day!" I heard my little sister, Megan's, voice call to me.

I looked at myself in the mirror, looking to make sure my wig - a blonde haired one, that I'd curled and clipped up into a sort of messy bun but it looked nice - was perfectly situated and my dress was flowing the way it should. I looked at my face, into my brown eyes and let out a breath. I nodded to myself once then grabbed my clutch.

"I'm coming!" I called back as I slipped on my silver heels that matched my red dress.

I walked out of my room and down the stairs. It was a good day for me today, which I was extremely thankful for considering I didn't want to have to sit the entire time I was at my cousin's wedding. It would be rude even though my family knew I had cancer.

They were the only one's who knew, even. Only a select few outside my family know of my condition, even though I've had it for four years. It was what I wanted. Besides the principals of my schools, necessary teachers and my best friend Callie, no one outside my family knew. I didn't want to be looked at like I had a disease, even though I did. I didn't want to be looked at with pity like my extended family will. I wanted to be known as just Charlie, not Charlie, the girl with leukemia. My family didn't protest, just wanting me to be happy.

I smiled at Megan as I descended the stairs and she took my arm. She was almost as tall as me, even though I was almost four years older than her. I was pretty short for my age, coming at just five foot two at seventeen. Megan was kind of short too, but she was fourteen so it isn't too big of a difference.

We linked arms, something we did a lot. It was comforting for me, and I knew it was for her because in a way she was holding me up. I didn't tell her I didn't need it today, because it truth it didn't matter, I always wanted her by my side. And if I ever suddenly got tired, I knew she'd have my back.

"You look very nice," I complimented her, looking over at her own red dress and beautifully curled blonde hair. Her natural hair fell down to just below her shoulders. She was also wearing black heels instead of silver, but it was still just as fitting.

"You look great too." She smiled at me. I thanked her and we reached the car.

My mother was already in the driver's seat, on the phone. Probably assuring my cousin, Dina, that we were on our way. I got into the passenger seat as Megan took the back. I glanced at my mom and smiled at her as she hung up.

"You look great girls." She told us, putting the car in reverse and starting to pull out of the driveway.

"You do too mom." We both said at the same time. I giggled and looked back at my sister who was grinning at me.

My mother shook her head, smiling. It was times like this words like cancer, illness, hospital and doctors all faded to the very corner of my mind. It was times like this I remember how it was before I was diagnosed, before our lives changed.

"How's Dina holding up?" I asked as we drove onto the main road.

My mother laughed, "I would say she'd a bit freaking out. I told her everything would be fine, it was only marriage. I guess that was kind of the wrong thing to say."

I giggled, "Nice mama."

She glanced at me and smiled sheepishly. I just shook my head, giggling. I thought of my dad, how he was off on work in Maine. He was in agriculture and his crew found a good spot in Maine to make some sort of agriculture-y thing, I never quite understood the terms.

I looked out the window as we fell into a comfortable silence with only the sounds of cars around us. The sun streamed through the window, and it warmed parts of my body. It was a hot day today, a bit unusual for New York as it was only June. I loved the warmth, but I loved New York more. Its why I could never see myself anywhere else warmer. After a few minutes though, it was too hot so I leaned away from the window and turned the air conditioning up.

When we finally made it to the garden Dina was getting married at, we all got out and started walking to a little building that was set up for her to get ready in. I looked around as we walked to it, my arm linked with Megan's, and caught site of some long tables set up, and people rushing to put things on it. I assumed they were they caterers, as a lot of them had towels in their pockets. The reception was supposed to start as soon as Dina and Joe were announced married and sealed the deal with a kiss.

We entered the building and saw Dina's mom. She greeted us and pointed to the room Dina was in. Megan and I entered first and at the sound of the door opening Dina turned. I could see her nervousness and I gently let go of Megan to hug her.

"There you guys are!" She said before hugging me.

Dina was one of the only people outside of Callie and my immediate family that still looked at me as plain ol' Charlie. That was why I loved her the most.

"Look at you! You look gorgeous!" I told her honestly, pulling back to look at her beautiful dress again. It fit to her curves in a flattering way. It was halter neck, a satin ribbon holding the dress up around her neck. The dress had a beaded bust, then a red ribbon under it, and the rest flowed like it was meant for a princess, with little clusters of beads here and there. It looked beautiful.

She smiled at me and glanced down at her dress. She looked back up and saw Megan. She pulled her in for a hug and Megan complimented her as well. Dina already looked more relaxed as she looked us over.

"You guys look beautiful too." She smiled at us. I grinned back at her and so did Megan.

There was a knock on the door and my mom entered, smiling when Dina came into view.

"Oh! Girl, you look so beautiful." She gushed, pulling her in for a hug.

Dina laughed softly at my mom's childishness and returned the hug and compliment. After a few moments Dina's mom entered with a grin.

"Dina, its showtime."

-----

Dina had been nervous, but I could tell as we walked down the aisle, as soon as she saw Joe, all her worries slipped away. She was graceful as she walked, and had a big smile on her face when she met Joe. My mom sat in the front row while Megan and I had stood by Dina as her bridesmaids.

After the cheers, the kiss, and more cheers, the reception started smoothly. Everyone took turns congratulating the now married couple, and Megan and I stood off to the side, looking around at all our family.

"Joe looked so hot," I heard Megan murmur.

I looked at her with wide eyes. "Megan! He's married now! And like, nine years older than you!"

She waved her hand at me. "Age is just a number. Besides, it's not like I don't know I don't have a chance. A girl can still appreciate one's hotness."

I shook my head at her, laughing. "Oh Megan."

She giggled a bit. "Fine fine. Oh look there's his younger brother!" She said as she started walking off into that direction.

I called lowly after her, "Still too old!"

She waved me off again over her shoulder and I just shook my head and laughed. I turned and ran into a wall of muscle - I mean a person. I stumbled back and whoever I'd ran into quickly reached out and grabbed me. They steadied me and I looked up as I took a breath.

It was a guy, but I'd already known that. He was wearing a nice white shirt and black pants, and shoes that weren't too fancy. I knew immediately he wasn't part of my family or Joe's. He had sandy blonde hair that was sort of shaggy, and the most gorgeous blue-green eyes.

"I'm sorry, are you alright?" He asked me.

I nodded and smiled softly. "Yeah I'm fine, don't be sorry it was my fault for not paying attention."

He was about to say something when a women's voice cut him off, "Nate! We need you!"

He gave me a polite smile and waved before hurrying off to where the voice had come from. I watched him go for a moment then turned and set off to find my little sister.

-----

A few hours later, the reception was over. I was tired, it was the longest I'd been out and about in a few months. As we made our way out to the car, I had waved goodbye to Dina after telling Megan to go ahead - and granted, she took shotgun - and I turned to go to the car when I ran into someone.

I didn't stumble as much as the previous time, but a strong arm still came out to steady me. I looked up and saw the familiar blue-green eyes. When I was steadied he breathed a chuckle.

"We keep meeting like this," He said, motioning between me and him.

I laughed softly and nodded. "We do."

"Charlie! Stop talking to cute boys and get in the car!" I heard Megan's voice call, then followed by a laugh.

I shook my head and smiled at the boy in front of me.

"I'll see ya around." He said, before stepping aside so I could pass him.

I nodded with a smile, "See ya." I passed him and walked to the car.

All the way home, I couldn't get his gorgeous blue-green eyes out my mind. And the way I'd bumped into him twice. I didn't know it then, but I'd already started falling.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter! Make sure you click the white font.color]
Was the last part too soon? Let me know. :)
Don't be a silent reader, if you hate it, let me know, if you love it, let me know, I love reading comments. :)