Status: One Shot

Show Em' What We're Made Of

Happy New Years

Emma stepped through the door into the large office building shivering from the blistery cold of the Maine weather. She was the party coordinator and late to the party. It was atypical of her to be late to anywhere but she’d had to change dresses when a jerk at the coffee shop tripped and poured coffee down her.

“Emmah! Hi! We’re having a bit of a crisis! The fireworks guy has no idea what he is doing up there! I’m afraid he’ll burn the building down and that won’t look great for our newest client!”

The manager had bombarded her with worry after worry from the day Emmah had been hired and she was close to breaking but it was all about this new client. Things had to be perfect.

“Uhm, let me go talk to him, check him out and what not and I’ll get back to you.” Emmah said pausing and replacing her jacket around her shoulders. She tapped her gold flat to the beat of the catchy pop song that played through the floor of the elevator. It came to a stop at the top of the building. Emmah wrapped her arms around her torso and walked across to the huddled figure on the ground setting up the fireworks.

“Sir-“

“I don’t work for the fireworks company. I’m helping the guy.” The figure muttered glancing up for a second, the reflection of the spot lamps casting a glare over his face.

“Are you- you can’t do that! Do you work here? If so, I can gladly escort you back downstairs.” Emma sputtered touching the mans back. He stood abruptly and I finally caught a flash of his face. Thick frames sat on his nose and a wide smirk adorned his face.

“I’m a ‘client’.” Emmah’s eyes widened.

‘I’m going to lose my job.’ She thought stepping back and running a hand through her hair.

“I’m so sorry! Still, uhm, we kind of need to get you back down to the party.” Emmah said biting her bottom lip. He simply smiled and placed a hand on the small of her back moving her to the door.
As the two strangers reached the door, it opened allowing a blast of warm air to wash over their bodies, a tingle running through their bodies. A burly man stepped outside holding a box filled to the rim with more fireworks.

“I did as much as I could to fix your machine. It should work now man.” A southern drawl tainted his words. Emmah smirked and looked over at him.

Recognition ebbed at the back of her mind. She knew him from somewhere. Possibly a character from one of those annoying tv shows her room mate watched?

He waved to the man who would, at midnight, make this party.

“I’m sorry to be so blunt, but who are you?” Emmah asked turning to him in the elevator. He rubbed the stubble on his chin and smiled turning to her and sticking out his hand.

“Wilson Bethel,client, actor, good ol’ ladies man.” He said winking at the young woman. Emmah choked on her laughter.

“Nice to meet you, Wilson.” She said stepping a centimeter away from him only for Wilson to subtly move back towards her.

“You look really pretty, hm, I don’t think I caught your name.”

“Emmah. I’m the party coordinator. You know the party you’re supposed to be at?” She asked placing her hands on her hips and staring him in the eye, no matter how unnerving she found him to be.

“I was just helping a fella out. It’s in my nature.” He said placing a hand on the back of his neck and biting his bottom lip.

Emmah knew instantly she’d never forget this man, whether it be their last encounter or not. The elevator door chimed and opened on their floor, a clock above the door read 11:45 PM, only 15 minutes to a new year.

She turned and looked at Wilson one last time and then slipped into the crowd to check on the champagne and security was posted at the door to watch for anyone who might be too drunk to drive. Emmah had lined up AAA to set aside six tow trucks in the event of the party attendee with one too many in their system.

As the clock ticked down the party became louder until the final moments of 2011 ticked away. As the clock hit 12:00 AM, a hand wrapped around her waist and pulled her into them, a kiss planted on her lips. She sank into the person, his scent wrapping itself around her. She slid her arms around his neck and kissed back, he lifted her feet off the ground and smiled into the kiss.
The crowds cheering began to die down and she was forced to open her eyes, straight into the familiar green orbs she had seen not even twenty minutes earlier.
Fireworks exploded just outside the window and the party goers turned to watch but all Emmah could do was stare at the man that was still clutching onto her waist. She didn’t need the fireworks outside for she had just experienced her own set within her head as this man had kissed her.

“Hi.” She said breathlessly. He smirked and gently sat her back on her feet.

“Happy New Years, Emmah.” He tilted his head and slipped a card into my hand, his number scrawled messily on the front. With one last smile he slipped out of the front door into the night.

Emmah smiled looking at the party one last time and then followed him. A new year, a new experience.
♠ ♠ ♠
i hope you like it Emmy!!
Dress
It's kind of terrible actually but that last part was pretty awesome, yeah? Haha. I love you, thanks for sticking with me even though I'm the worst replier ever. In fact there's probably like three or four messages from you on my phone right now. But your persistence is to be admired. Haha. :D