Tongue Tied

Bio

That night, the Thornwoods found their new daughter on their front porch. Mrs. Thornwood filled her immaculate nursery with a loud, messy, screaming, energy ball of a child, and was all the more happy to have a mess to clean up. She named the mess-maker Tara.

Being in the military, the Thornwood family moved often, rarely staying on one base for more than two years. Tara became accustomed to the moves. She was an adaptable young military brat, able to make friends near instantaneously. She was a happy outgoing child that never met a person that wasn't her friend. It seemed like she was never without a companion to talk to. Even if they weren't human.

The Thornwoods never bought a pet, yet there house was always filled with the squawking, barking, or cawing of some new pet or another. She was a prolific savior of animals. And she developed a habit of singing to them, and talking to them as if they could understand. Sometimes it seemed like they could.

She didn't really care, but she knew very early that she was adopted by the blonde haired, blue eyed Thornwoods, with her mahogany skin and startling bright hazel eyes. Her eyes were known to change with her moods. And how did she have moods! Known for her violent fits of rage, usually followed by profuse apologies and crying, she was quite a danger to deal with at times. On the bright side one can say with conviction that everything Tara did, she did passionately. There didn't seem to be a reserved bone in her body. Yes, Tara was a handful, but she was the pride and joy of her loving parents.

When Tara was 10 years old her mother was diagnosed with cancer. She fought for hard, but died when Tara was 12. Tara receded just a tad. She was still outgoing, passionate, and talkative. But now she spent more and more time alone, usually outside. People who saw her would say she was talking to herself, she felt that she was talking to nature. And sometimes she felt like it whispered back. Just one year later Mr. Thornwood died in active duty, leaving his 13 year old daughter to be passed from foster family.

For two years Tara lived with foster families. They loved her, like all people seemed to love Tara. But after a few of Tara's fits of rage, or crying spells, they would always pass her on to the next family. In Tara's 15th year she was passed on to what she hoped would be her last family: the Whittens.