Tongue Tied

Davey Boy

It's an absolutely gorgeous day as Tara steps out of the airport and into Hawaiian sunshine for the first time. Here's something you should know about Hawaii. The islands are magic, colors feel more vibrant, smells are sweeter, the air is fresher, the sun shines brighter, and your heart beats with more passion when you're on these islands.

Tara smiled into the sunlight as she sat down on a bench to wait for her new family to pick her up. The warm climate was a welcome change from her last foster home in Michigan. They weren't the nicest people, but the worst part was the cold. Not a lot can survive in the cold, and life is what Tara lives for. As she waited she thought about the cat that she had rescued from the snow. She hoped the Oswalds had waited till summer before kicking her out. But she wasn't deluded enough to suspect they'd keep him. Her thoughts continued to wander as she waited.

Here comes a car, a beat up, homely looking, open jeep with a large mexican looking man-boy in the driver's seat. He had body and muscles of a man, but the smile on his face was all little boy with a new toy. A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth at the site.

"Hey, I'm David" he said with a nervous chuckle that Tara found completely endearing.

"I'm Tara" She said smiling wider, "I'm waiting for a David Whitten, that you?"

"The one and only" He said as he hopped out of the jeep with a dancers ease and went to shake her hand. "Nice to meet you"
Tara looked into his chocolate eyes and took his hand.
The sun seemed to dim, then go out, the rest world slipped from her grasp as she fell into his eyes. Slowly at first, then faster and faster a new world constructed itself.

"David! You're doing great! You've got this boy! Get your head in this. Keep your hands up. And for God's sake, Move. Your. Feet! You've got speed, on the guy, use it!..." The sound of the pep talk was paired with a person as a stout, red faced, man came into view. But who was he yelling for? as she thought this, into view came David. He was sitting in a corner of a boxing ring, sweating like a pig with some nasty bruises peppering his body. She turned around and watched as an enormous samoan boy received a similar pep talk from his coach. She looked back at David and he glanced up and through her. "RRROOOUUUNNNDDD TTHHRREEEEE!!" an announcer called. David lurched onto his feet and the crowd went wild.

"Damn girl, you've got a death grip... are you alright?" David asked concerned, cause as soon as he had gone to shake the hand of his new sister she'd frozen on him. She stared into his eyes and the rest of her face was slack. "Can you hear me?" he asked, and suddenly she was back. Life filled her eyes and she looked at him confused.

"Of Course I Can Hear You!" she snapped, anger filled her veins as she snatched her hand away from his. How DARE he do that to her!? She was going to make that boy pay! She lifted her hand to hit him, but was instead struck by the look in his eyes. He was scared. He looked like a scolded puppy that didn't know what it had done, nose down, tail between legs. Her anger melted away, and she realized just how ridiculous it was. Why did she keep having these spells? They were coming more and more often.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to... I'm sorry... I just sometimes have these mood swings.. and... sorry" She stumbled out an apology

"Don't worry about it" David said taking her into a hug "There's nothing to be sorry about, how about we start over. Hi I'm David" He released her from the hug and held out his hand again.

"Hi David, I'm Tara, and I've just discovered that I've got the best new foster brother." she said, a smile creeping back on to her face. She took his hand and pulled him into another hug.

"Well why don't we get these bags into the jeep! you sure do travel light. Only two bags? I thought you were going to be living with us?" He said as he hauled her bags into the back

"Oh, well. I've been moving round all my life, seems simpler to pack light. I just wish I could bring my pets along with me on the move." She said, flashing another smile

"You like pets? good."

"Why's that good?"

"You'll meet the reason when we get home" He said with a chuckle. Then he opened the door for Tara to get in. She was enjoying this treatment, he was such a gentleman: shaking her hand, holding the door, what a sweet guy.

As they drove home, Tara entertained David with stories about her past homes, and especially about all the pets she's had there. She told him about her one eyed dog Popeye, and his best friend the three legged cat Olive. She told him about the bird with a broken wing named Ash. And The albino python named Bunicula. She had plenty of stories to tell, but she managed to get him to talk to.

"Yeah, the Mom and Dad adopted me when I was four. I don't remember any family other than them, so they're it, and I love. I know you're gonna love them too. Dad's a mechanic and Mom works from home, so she's always around. Look, there she is now!" David said as they pulled up to a one story, white washed home near the top of the mountain. Sitting on the front porch chair was a middle aged woman dozing off in the afternoon heat. Rested against her chair was a sign.

"Hey, Ma! I've got Tara!" Yelled David. She jumped as she was startled out of sleep.

"Oh, Oh! Tara darling! Wait a sec? Where's my sign? Oh, of course, there it is!" She said as she picked up the sign laying at her feet. It read "WELCOME TO HAWAII TARA" She ran forward to envelope Tara in a hug. "Aloha Tara! It's so great to finally meet you. You're gonna love it here. Don't worry about your bags, David's got them. Let me show you the house!" She said as she released Tara from her hug.

"I guess I'll be seeing you later David." Tara laughed as she jogged after the frantic Mrs. Whitten.