Status: Drabble.

The Store Front Window

1/1

“Thank you come again.” The gray haired woman waved good-bye to the middle aged brunette woman and her teen daughter as they exited the Hunky Dory Vintage Store and the little bells chimed after them.

The old woman let out a sigh and tighten the ponytail that kept her grey hair in place, “Just a little more work to do before I can go home and take a nice relaxing bath.” She changed the little sign in the window to “Closed” then made her way around the store, folding clothes back into neat piles. The old woman’s wrinkled fingers moved quickly, finding the steady rhythm of folding the clothes.

When she finished that task she moved to grab the broom out of the supply closet and sweep the already spotless floor. She was sweeping some dirt into her dustpan when she heard a loud clattering. She jumped scattering the dirt all over the floor again,

“Hello? Is there somebody there?”

Gingerly, she walked towards the sound, broom raised high ready to strike. When she got there the only thing left at the crime was a headless male mannequin, fallen from the store window. Chills ran up her spine as she quickly fixed the mannequin up again. She ran quickly back to get her jacket and purse forgetting her pervious task of sweeping. As she rushed out the door she flipped off the main lights living the store in a dull light. The flash of headlights flooded the story and the woman was gone.

Moments passed slowly. Then sure enough the mannequins began to break from their stands and move about the store.

“Jack, you almost had us caught!” Giselle, a mannequin dressed in a flowing prom dress, scolded the male mannequin lightly.

He made a motion as if to shrug his stiff shoulders.

Giselle sighed in a motherly tone, “Just be more careful.”
She turned to give instructions to the other mannequins, “Be careful, not to mess anything up, we don’t want to give that woman more work than necessary.”

Someone had flicked on a radio and the mannequins were dancing around the store in an awkwardly choreographed dance. Jack slid closer to his partner, Giselle, and grabbed her into the dance.

The sight was something not many would believe seeing. Some would chalk it up to bad lighting or being too tired. However, from the time the old vintage store closed till the dawn the next morning the mannequins danced. And when the old woman would return in the morning she would be no the wiser and everything would be put back perfectly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this kind of turned out how I imagined. Please comment :)