What Big Teeth You Have My Dear

Mates? That's a Myth

***Linda's p.o.v.***


I walked out of Chemistry really pissed off. Ronnie was pushing my buttons the entire class. Asking all these questions about me and Max while we were supposed to be doing actual work. And now walking out of class I see him talking to Max. God, I'm really starting to hate this town. Max was blushing and Ronnie was smiling like no one's business.

"Whatcha talking about?" I asked walking up to them.

"Just chatting." Ronnie said

"Sure. Come on Max we gotta get to the cafeteria before the snobs take all the tables again." I said.

"Hey. Why don't you guys sit with me at lunch? I just sit with some guys from the pack." Ronnie offered.

"Um actually, I have to go to the library and get a book for science. Sorry to burst your guys' bubbles." Max said.

"I'll come with you." I said.

"See you guys in mythology then." Ronnie said I nodded and grabbed Max before walking off to the library.

"That was a little rude." Max muttered when we entered the library.

"What can I say? I'm just charming like that." Max chuckled.

"Yeah, charm that's what you have." He mumbled.

"And don't you doubt." I said playfully punching him in the arm. "So what book do you need Maxie?" I asked.

"Actually, I don't need a book for science. I'm getting a book about werewolves."

"Werewolves? Why do you need a book about werewolves? You are one."

"Yeah I know, but I don't know about the pack things. Besides, Madison told me something today and I want to check it out."

"What?" I asked.

He mumbled something.

"What? You got to say it louder."

"Mates." He mumbled again.

"Mates? Why do you want to know about them? It's just a myth Max." I said.

"Well, Madison told me she lives with the pack because her boyfriend is supposedly her mate. She also said the reason why the pack won't let us leave is because our mates supposedly live in the pack, and they don't want us to leave." I laughed at this.

"Max, we don't have mates living in the damn pack. It's just a myth. Mates don't exist. I don't know why they want to keep us here but I don't it's because we are the mates of people in the pack."

"Well, I just want to check it out. You remember that book written by a werewolf that was published. You remember the one my dad showed us?" I nodded I did remember the book.

"It was like 'Werewolves Unlocked' or something like that." He nodded and pulled a book off of the shelf. He scanned the index for a second before reading a page in the book.

"Here look at this. It says 'The love between mates is the strongest power between werewolves. There is only one mate out in the world for each werewolf, and more often then not a werewolf's mate is someone they least expect. Sometimes, a werewolf will never find their mate, or even their mate will reject them. After a mate bond is rejected, the one being rejected goes into a deep depression or anger usually never to return to normal. A mate will do anything in it's power to keep their mate.' See I told you." Max said.

"We don't know if this was written by a real werewolf. And if mates do exist, I doubt they would be here."

"That's exactly what it says. Somewhere you least expect."

"Max, you can believe whatever you want but I can guarantee you they don't exist."

"Whatever. Are you going to eat today or should I just diagnose you with an eating disorder now?"

"Oh hardy har har. You think you are so funny, don't you? And yes I will be eating today." I said grabbing the lunch from his hands. We sat down in the fiction section and ate our lunches. The bell rang and we stalked off to English.

I sat down in the same seat as yesterday, and got out my notebook. We were doing something on the book 'Dead of Winter' which I read all ready. It was about a run away orphan who ran to New York City. There she made friends with this boy who got her into street fighting. She became a huge street fighter and then fell in love with the boy she made friends with. The boy then left her and moved away. She stepped into a depression and died in the dead of winter all alone. Nice book, isn't it? The morale of the story is to never trust anyone, and to always believe in yourself. It was actually very motivational except for the dying part.

I doodled in my notebook for a minute before Oliver sat his enraging ass in the seat next to me. I shifted away from him.

"Linda so good to see you again." He said.

"Oliver how nauseating."

"Oh, and here I thought we were friends."

"No, but if you let us leave or at least tell us why you won't, I'm sure I could make and exception."

"I'm pretty sure you already figured that one out."

"What do you mean?"

"Max's little friend let it slip earlier." I looked at him skeptically and then turned to Max. He was looking in my direction.

"Was what Madison told you-"

"Yeah" He interrupted. I turned back to Oliver. He just nodded and turned to the front of the room.

I ignored him the rest of the class. He was lying he had to be. There was no way I was becoming someone's stupid mate. It just wasn't happening. Being a mate to a werewolf would mean I would be the submissive mate because of my gender. My mate would make all of my decisions for me. I would go insane, so I won't become anyone's mate. Sorry for them, guess they're going into a deep irreversible depression.

The class ended and I walked to mythology with Max blabbering in my ear about the English assignment. I walked into class and took the window seat this time. I wasn't going to talk to Ronnie right now. If he wanted to learn about Max and me he can ask Max.

Class started and all we were doing was research for our project. Ronnie signed us up for the library, so we headed there. I immediately walked to where the encyclopedias were to get the ones we needed. Ronnie and Max claimed a table and started to chat. I walked back with three different books when I heard bits of their conversation.

"So, Oliver won't let us leave because he thinks Linda is he's mate." Max said.

"Yeah kind of." Ronnie shrugged.

"What do you mean kind of?"

"Well, the second in command thinks your his mate, too." There was a small silence. Max was probably processing what Ronnie had said.

"Who's the second in command?" Max asked.

"Oh, the beta? Yeah, that's me."

"Wh-What?"

"You're my mate, Max."

"Wha- How- Whe-"

"Breathe Max." Ronnie interrupted Max's stuttering.

"Sorry, but you don't just tell the new kid that kind of information and expect them to take it well. I mean, you should at least have asked me to dinner or something."

"Okay, Max would you like to go on a date with me this Friday?" Ronnie asked.

I dropped the books then out of pure shock. Max's head whipped towards me.

"Ha, they're heavy." I said. Nice save, Linda. Nice save.

"I'll get them for you." Ronnie said getting up and picking the books up. He put them on the table, and we started researching. That's all we did research.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy new year!