Sequel: Saving Grace
Status: Enjoy! :)

Let It Be Me

Chapter Five

Austin was surprised the next morning that she didn't see Nikki coming out of Jax's room. She wasn't surprised, however, that it was some other skank leaving the clubhouse from his room after the party the night before. She had been stupid to think even for a few minutes that Jax was going to see her as anything but a piece of ass and drop her the moment something prettier came along.

She gathered her bags and threw them in the back of the Charger. Juice was already up, ready to go with her over to the apartment complex. Austin handed him the keys to her car and got in the passenger seat.

"You excited about having your own place?" Juice asked.

"Excited not to have to be around Jax and all his sexual escapades anymore," Austin grumbled.

Juice chuckled. "Are you jealous?"

Austin glared at him. "Hardly. Unfortunately it probably would be good to throw every damn crow eater out of the clubhouse. It's better if I leave."

"I thought you two walked in together last night?"

"Juice," Austin started, "do you really want to have this girly, gossipy conversation with me?"

He shrugged. "I can be nosy."

Austin just laughed. "Be that as it may, no matter how much I love you, I'm not up for talking about this."

"Fair enough," Juice agreed. He had seen Jax go through more than his fair share of women, and he hated to see Austin lost in the wake of that.

A few minutes later, they pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex and walked up to the leasing office. Juice introduced her to Laura, the property manager, and they all sat down to sign the paperwork. Fifteen minutes later, Austin had the keys to her own place, and she and Juice were headed back to Teller-Morrow.

"Get it taken care of?" Chibs asked.

"We did," Juice said. "I'll call Gemma and let her know we're back."

"Thanks, Juice." Austin sat on the hood of the Charger, holding her head in her hands.

"You seem a little overwhelmed, love," Chibs said, taking a seat next to her. "You sure this is what you want to do?"

"I'm not at all worried about moving," Austin said. "I actually can't wait to get out."

"Ah, so it's about Jackie-boy."

Austin sighed. "Between us?"

"Of course."

"It wasn't originally about Jax, but now being away from him is an added bonus," Austin confessed. "We avoided each other at all costs when I first got here and an argument was inevitable if we were in the same room. In the last couple of weeks, it seems like it's gotten better. Last night he helped me get some stuff for the apartment and when we got back, he asked me to be at the party with him. Said he wasn't looking for another crow eater, that's why he wanted me. Obviously that didn't last for very long."

Chibs reached over and squeezed her hand. "Thing about Jax is, he's always had the same life. I believe he wants it to change, but pursuing that change is sometimes tricky."

"Yeah, I believe that," Austin sighed. "Been through enough to know how it goes."

"Then just give him time, Aussie-girl. You and Jax went from hate to whatever else in not too long a time period. Get your heads straight and figure it out from there."

"Thanks, Chibs."

"You want me to wait with you for Gemma?"

"Sure."

They sat there on the Charger, Chibs telling stories about growing up overseas. He had gotten himself into quite a few knots, it seemed, and Austin loved hearing about it. It didn't seem like too much time had passed until Gemma arrived and they were off to finish shopping for the things Austin needed for her apartment.

.:.

Jax sat just outside the clubhouse, smoking a cigarette. He watched Austin and Chibs as they talked, unable to help his own smile when she laughed at something Chibs had said. He knew he'd been stupid not to go after her the night before when all that went down with Nikki. He wanted more, and it appeared even The Prince was going to have to work for what he wanted this time.

"Here's the extra key to her place," Gemma said, breaking him from his thoughts. "And the key to the Charger. The furniture should be there in about an hour. If you guys would meet them there and help them set up, I'll make sure she's got everything else. We'll see you soon."

Jax accepted her hug and kissed her on the cheek, not saying a word. He put the key on his key ring and went in search of Clay and the others so that they could head over to the apartment.

"Jax."

He turned just as he entered the clubhouse, seeing one of the new prospects standing there. Jax raised his brow. "What?"

"Um, I'm Dougie, one of the new prospects."

"Yeah, I caught on to that," Jax said. "What do you want?"

Dougie cleared his throat. "I was wondering, what's the rule about prospects hanging out with girls connected to the club?"

"What do you mean hanging out?" Jax asked.

"You know. Dating."

Jax looked skeptical. "What girl were you thinking? Crow eaters don't make good girlfriends and generally won't hook up with a prospect anyway."

"Actually, I was thinking more of Austin. I mean, she's not directly connected, I guess."

Jax shook his head. "No. She's connected. Her brother is patching in soon. She works for the garage. And she way too good for you."

"But not for you? I mean, you dumped her for some other girl last night, right?"

Jax grabbed Dougie by the cut and pushed him against the wall. "If you want in this club, you would do well not to mouth off to members, got it? Stay the hell away from Austin."

Dougie held his hands up. "Fine, I got it."

Jax let him go and smoothed out his own cut. "Get the hell out of my face."

Chibs had walked in just as Jax pushed Dougie and watched the whole scene. "Feeling a little territorial, Jackie-boy?"

Jax shook his head. "I'm fine. Get Piney, would you, and have him take the van over to her place. I'll take the Charger for whatever she's got in there."

Chibs agreed, and Jax headed out to the Charger. He adjusted the seat and the mirror, then fired up the engine. The car drove like a dream, but he wasn't surprised. Austin was a great mechanic and of course she'd keep her own vehicle in shape.

He tried to let his mind settle during the drive to the apartment, and he felt calmer by the time he arrived. He popped the trunk and pulled out her bags, sighing as an envelope fell from one of the bags. He picked it up and read that it was addressed to Austin at the garage. The return address was in North Carolina, and it was postmarked from just a few days ago. Feeling his interest pique, he pulled the letter from the envelope and unfolded it.

Austin,

Your brother called and told me what happened. I know that I haven't been there for you over the years as I should have been, but I want to apologize for that. I can't help but feel that my actions, or lack thereof, have played a part in this difficult time in your life.

While I do believe you'd be best to return here and speak with the police, I understand the decision you've made to start over and I won't argue with it. Perhaps this is a good time to do that. I'm sending this check to help you with what I can, and if you need more, Kip knows where and how to get a hold of me.

As you know, Kip's mother was never fond of the idea that I had another child, so if you would please use discretion in any contact between us, I would appreciate it. I hope California is everything you're looking for, Austin, and that you find a safe place to be there.

Sincerely,

Joseph Epps

Jax quickly folded up the letter and shoved it back in the envelope as the van pulled up in the parking spot next to him. He had always thought it was something serious that brought Austin to Charming, but the letter from her father made it sound even more serious than he thought. After all, if the old man thought it was better she speak to police, something had to be serious. He had agreed not to ask her about it again, but if the police were likely to get involved, that could seriously affect SAMCRO. It was probably better to ask Clay about it first, but maybe he could risk that and use the letter to make amends with Austin. He folded the envelope in half and put it in his back pocket. He'd wait until everything was settled in her apartment and then ask to speak with her privately.

The furniture had all arrived and was mostly set up by the time Gemma and Austin returned. The guys helped them bring up the bags and boxes, and everyone got to unloading and putting things away. Some of the guys grumbled about doing what they deemed outside of the manly realm of to-do's, but one look from Gemma set them straight. With that large of a group working, the apartment was completely settled by early evening.

Austin and Gemma put together a good meal for all of them, which they ate heartily. Most of the men left after they ate, with only Gemma staying behind to do the dishes, and Jax remaining to find an opportunity to speak with Austin.

"All right, sweetie. You going to be all right alone?" Gemma asked Austin.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I promise. Thank you so much for all your help today," Austin replied, hugging Gemma.

"You're more than welcome. I'll see you soon."

Gemma motioned for Jax to come outside with her. "Walk me to my car."

"All right. I'll come back up, Aus."

"You don't have to."

"Let him make sure everything gets locked up," Gemma directed. "He'll be back up."

Jax smiled at his mother. She'd seen written all over his face that he wanted to talk to Austin and knew Austin couldn't say no to her. They reached Gemma's car, and Jax opened the car door for her.

"You did good today, Mom."

Gemma smiled. "Austin's mom was never really a mother to her. Every girl needs that. She's a sweet girl, so I don't mind helping out where I can."

"Yeah."

"Every girl needs a man to look out for her, too," Gemma said. "Maybe you should see what you can do about that."

"I messed that up last night, Mom. I don't know if I'll be able to fix it."

"Jax," Gemma smiled, placing a hand on her son's cheek. "You're a good man. I've seen the way she's been looking at you since the night of that brawl."

"Mom," Jax groaned.

"And the way you've been looking at her. I'm not saying it's love or anything like that, but I think it's something worth trying for. Just don't screw it up anymore."

Gemma kissed him on the cheek then got in her car. Jax stepped away so she could leave, and took a deep breath. It was now or never.

He knocked on the door when he got back up to her apartment and she yelled that it was open. When he walked in, she was tying off a trash bag.

"I can do that," he offered.

"It's already done."

"Then I'll take it out when I leave."

Austin sighed and rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

He followed her into the bedroom. She was acting like he wasn't there, taking off her jewelry and running a brush through her hair.

"I need to talk to you," Jax told her.

"There's nothing for us to talk about."

He sighed and pulled the envelope from his pocket, placing it on the vanity in front of her. "Yes, there is."

Austin picked up the letter and turned to face him. "Where did you find this?"

"I was getting your bags out of the trunk of the Charger and it fell out."

"You didn't have to read it!"

"Austin, if the cops are involved in this, you have to tell me what's going on. You're around the MC and if the police have eyes on you, they have eyes on us."

"They don't have eyes on me – there's no reason to have eyes on me."

"Then tell me what happened so I can believe you."

Austin shook her head. "Maybe in light of the lie you told me last night, you should just believe what I have to say right now."

"I didn't lie to you last night."

"Your exact words, Jax, were, 'I'm not looking for a crow eater, that's why I'm asking you.' The next thing I know, you're swapping spit with that redheaded bitch I threw out of the clubhouse."

"I can explain that."

Austin shook her head. "I don't want you to explain it, Jax. Maybe I haven't been around for too long, but one of the things I picked up fast was that any girl who wants a relationship with Jax Teller is not only delusional, but asking for a shitload of trouble. And I'm not going to be that girl."

Jax couldn't blame her for feeling that way, and he knew good and well that everything she said was true. He had passed her over so easily for Nikki and then the other girl, and he couldn't even tell himself why.

"I'm sorry, Austin," Jax said quietly, kissing her cheek. "I'll see you Monday. Make sure you lock the door after me. Keep your cell on and call if you need anything. I'm the closest, so I can be here fast."

He headed for the door, setting the Charger key on the counter. He wasn't worried about walking back to the clubhouse; it would give him time to think more about what had happened in the last few days.