Status: Prequel to 'An Ode For Cruelty' <3

The Last Rites for Souls on Fire

Decerm

Haldir stayed close by the Fellowship, assisting the maids in setting up their small camp on the forest floor. The Hobbits had already started cooking; the other men gradually dismissed the offered help, completing the small task of setting up camp on their own. Haldir, however, continued to watch, from the corners of his eyes, as Faelwen conversed with one of the few remaining maids. Her pale-pink lips moved smoothly around every syllable. The maid left, Faelwen turned back to the group, looking Haldir directly in the eyes. She moved fluidly, feeling his eyes on her, to a shaded spot by the very edge of the camp, laying out her belongings directly beside a large tree. Haldir moved, trying desperately to go unnoticed as he drew closer to the strange Elf-Maiden. He was cut short; a head of long blonde hair and blue eyes in his path.

"Car'al eru le anann, Haldir," Legolas whispered venomously. (Do not waste your time, Haldir.)
"Man ist car'garo uin hin?" Haldir whispered back, suspicion edging into his tone. (What knowledge do you have of/from her?)
"Nothing that concerns you," Legolas hissed.
Neither had noticed that Faelwen had drawn close to them. She placed her hand gently on Legolas shoulder, "Na sidh, mallen-finnel," She smiled at him before turning her attention to Haldir, her smile falling, "Le thang ist, ialla'am nin." (At peace, Golden-Braids. If you need knowledge, call upon me.)
Legolas smirked at the other Elf, earning a restrained glare in response. Faelwen gently tugged on his hair, a slight and crooked smile flashing pointed teeth in his direction, "Don't act zealously, Legolas. I simply think Haldir could come to me with his questions instead of my companions."
Haldir aimed a smirk at Legolas, who took up the others restrained glaring, "Perhaps then, Lady Fainauriel, we may walk together through the forest, where we may speak freely?" (White fire)
Faelwen gave a slightly faltering smile, "Hannon le, Haldir. Im al'daf anno. I'm waiting for the maid to return with a dress so that I can bathe and my clothes can be washed. Orc blood makes very unattractive stains," The Lorien Elf was visibly crestfallen, "Perhaps though, I can walk with you before I clean my blades." (Thank you, Haldir. I can give no permission.)
A small smile appeared on Haldir's features, turning to a smirk as he glanced toward the scowling Mirkwood Elf, "Ennas na'al gell athan ha." (There could be no joy beyond it.)

Soon after, the maid returned, a small bundle of fabric in her arms as she led Faelwen away. Haldir had also left, albeit also temporarily. Legolas knew that the Lorien pest would be back once Faelwen returned. And so, Legolas took to doing what every mature adult does when they feel annoyed and frustrated; he sulked.
Curled around his bow, restringing it, had only filled in enough time for Boromir and Gimli to leave him alone. The Hobbits still offered food, Aragorn offered suspicious and furtive looks in between his sentences to Boromir; neither seemed very appealing. Instead of responding to his friends, he decided to sharpen his remaining arrows. He sat for what seemed like hours, Faelwen's words as she had accepted a walk with Haldir repeating over and over in his mind. He could've sat the same way for weeks, slowly dragging the sharpening stone along the fine edges of each arrow, pretending that they were a knife and Haldir's neck respectively.

"Legolas," Bells chimed in his ears, "Are you feeling well?"
He looked at Faelwen, the words he had been about to spit falling lamely off his tongue, "I'm quite fine."
She stood before him, a long silk dress, the colour of a pale purple hyacinth blossom, clinging elegantly to her frame. Her pale skin seemed to glow with a light similar to Galadriel; her eyes baring endless compassion in their rose-pink depths. Her long snowy-white hair had been washed and now sat, slightly damp, in waves down her back. The front sections that usually attempted to mask her face from view pulled back into a slender braid, the lone pale purple braid still in it's place just behind her pointed ears. He couldn't help but let his eyes wander her stunning features, nor her curved figure.

Without thinking, Legolas spoke softly, "Le thia arnediad bain," He caught himself, quickly adding, "Haldir ind mir le." (You appear endlessly beautiful. Haldir will treasure you.)
"I do not wish to be treasured by him," Faelwen said softly, sitting down next to her golden-haired friend.
"Well, Lady Fainauriel, you were quite quick to accept his invitation," He let his frustration show, "I'm not even allowed to offer simple protection but you will accompany him on a pointless walk through the forest."
"Legolas, you are letting this trouble you more than it should-"
"It troubles me only as much as it needs to!" He yelled, surprising himself.
"I do not wish to seek an eternity with Haldir! Is that what you want to hear, Torog?!"(Troll)
A voice broke from behind her, cracked and shaken, as if someone had shattered the owners very soul, "Yes. That's exactly what I wanted to hear."
Faelwen's face fell from the anger she had directed at Legolas in an instant. She spun, the motion flaring the end of her dress out in an elegant wave. Faelwen felt misery crash down on her like an army of trolls as she saw Haldir, head lowered, walking away. Faelwen didn't turn to face Legolas again but he could see that she was in despair. Her shoulders were slumped, head lowered. Her entire being seemed dimmer, as if a light inside her had been extinguished. Legolas too, began to feel her misery, slumping where he sat, a frown stretching down his face.
"I hope you're happy, spoiled little Prince," She sounded far away, really she had moved only to her bed on the edge of the camp, "I hope you're happy."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's short!
And I can assure you, we have not seen the last of Haldir. Someone has to make Legolas jealous, right?
Thank you again to yuna131422 for your comments. They're such a simple thing but they really mean a lot ^-^