Status: Prequel to 'An Ode For Cruelty' <3

The Last Rites for Souls on Fire

Septimo

No one was sure how long they had been in the mines but the ever-present darkness made it seem like weeks. Legolas stayed close to Faelwen throughout the journey. He tried his best not to make it noticeable but her constant state of alertness had him worried. They walked together almost constantly, closely behind Gandalf.
The group entered a large hall only to see Gimli take off, a loud groan escaping his throat. The rest of the Fellowship entered the alcove to see Gimli crouched over a tomb, sobbing. They spread out, giving the Dwarf both space and time to grieve. Gandalf read from a book near the back of the room as Legolas and Faelwen sat near the far wall, leaning back against it.
"Agor garo genediad an avorn na talf, Legolas?" (Do you have a reason for staying so close, Legolas?)
Faelwen's voice reached Legolas' ear in a whisper, so quiet that none of the others could possibly have heard. He furrowed his eyebrows, unsure of how to answer the question. They furrowed further still when he noticed her pale-pink eyes watching him.
"Garo al'achas. Guruthos garn nin an anrand," She spoke bluntly, not wanting the protection and sympathy that he offered, no matter the reason. The words seemed to ring loudly in Legolas ears; a melancholy chiming of bells. (I have no fear. The Shadow of Death has been mine for ages.)
Faelwen watched as hurt overcame his features. While it pained her to see him troubled by her, she believed it for the best. Legolas opened his mouth to speak but ended up clenching his jaw and turning away from her porcelain doll-like face and pale-pink eyes. She stood up slowly, gracefully, and stood close to Legolas. He felt a hand touch his face, so cold that it burned. He couldn't help but look into her eyes again. Seeing compassion in the pale-pink irises left him feeling hollow.
"Edraith le presto an'ab. Im car'al iest peth naegro nin, Pin Cuan," Faelwen spoke with more softness than she would've liked. (Save your troubles for later. I do not wish my words to pain you, Little Prince.)
He moved her hand away, placing it back by her side and resisting the urge to hold it tightly.
He let his hurt show openly in his words, "Then perhaps you should not have spoken them."

Faelwen didn't watch as he walked away from her, over to Aragorn. She knew the Ranger didn't fully trust her; this incident would certainly not help that. Instead she moved to sit on the other side of the room with Sam.
"Miss Faelwen, we met a lot of Elves in Rivendell," Curiousity lit his features, "Why is it, that you're so different from all of 'em?"
Faelwen smiled, "There is more than one kind of Elf in this world, Samwise. My people were called the Mornedhel."
"Were?" Merry joined in.
"I am the last one of my people. There were many atrocities committed in the last War. Many were both by and against my kin," Faelwen said, a sad smile on her face.
"Were they all as pretty as you?" Merry asked, a happy undertone in his voice.
Faelwen laughed, almost everyone in the room turned to see the source of the melodious sound, "I'm not that pretty," She smiled, her teeth on display, "It's been many, many years since there's been anyone who insists that I'm pretty as often as you Hobbits do."
Merry and Sam smiled. "Well you are," Sam said quietly.
Her laughter calmed down and she smiled at the Hobbits, "Thank you both."

Legolas tried his hardest not to pay attention to her. Aragorn noticed.
"Still?" Aragorn asked, "Is it really worth so much time?"
Legolas glared at the floor, "Is Arwen?"
Aragorn was taken aback by his sudden spurn. He was about to respond when suddenly a loud crashing erupted at the back of the room. Gandalf started yelling at Pippin who shrunk away from the angered Wizard. Within moments, loud drum beats filled the mine.

Boromir pushed his head out the door. A solid thud came from the doorway and Boromir jumped back. An arrow was embedded in the door barely an inch from where Boromir's head had been. He, Legolas and Aragorn began to barricade the decrepit door. The Hobbits nervously drew their swords; Gandalf and Gimli stood with weapons at the ready. Faelwen stood beside Gimli, drawing her bow and aiming through one of the holes in the door. As the barricade was finished, Boromir peaked back through, only to hear a monumental roar.
He turned, smiling sarcastically, "They have a cave troll."
Legolas and Aragorn stood either side of Faelwen, bows ready and aiming at the door. The Fellowship stood ready and waiting for the Orcs.
"Let them come!" Gimli growled, standing atop his cousin's tomb. "There is one Dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!"
As bodies began to appear on the other side of the door, arrows started flying. Orcs fell. but more still bashed against the door until it caved in. Almost instantly, the three that had been wielding bows, drew their swords. Gimli charged the Orcs, enraged. Knocking down one after another with his axe. The Hobbits, who had been huddled behind Gandalf, leaped forward after the Wizard, working constantly to cover each other's backs.
Faelwen swung one of her short swords, decapitating an Orc, and quickly swung her other short sword, stabbing the one behind it in the throat. She swung and stabbed, lobbing off heads and severing limbs with amazing ferocity. Within what felt like seconds, she was surrounded by dead Orcs. The cave troll burst into the already tight space, bringing with it another wave of enemies.
"Aragorn! The troll!" She shouted, giving Aragorn time to jump from the monsters path.
The Hobbits were in a corner, fighting off the Orcs as best they could. Faelwen noticed, Frodo was missing. In an instant, she spotted the troll circling a pillar. As it pulled it's head back, Frodo started to come out from behind the large stone only to end up face to face with the beast. Faelwen went into a frenzy, cutting down Orc after Orc in an attempt to reach Frodo before the troll could strike. Aragorn did the same. He arrived, stabbing the beast in the side with a discarded lance. It barely flinched, smashing Aragorn aside and removing the lance to use as it's own weapon. Faelwen looked up from the last Orc in her path to see the troll lift the long metal shaft, and ram it directly into Frodo's chest.

A loud, low growl escaped Faelwen's throat as she released her frustration. Her short sword found a home in the back of the trolls knee, quickly tearing it through the side. The others had noticed Faelwen's growl, and seeing her attacking the troll, rushed to help.Legolas climbed up its back as she attacked it's other knee, and fired arrows down into it's skull. He jumped down, timing his next shot, and as the troll bellowed, he fired an arrow down its throat. As soon as the troll fell, a blood-drenched Faelwen rushed over the corpse to Frodo's unmoving body. The rest of the fellowship was close behind her. A single tear trailed down her face as she softly touched the Hobbits hair. Frodo drew in a long shuddering breath.
"Frodo! You're okay!" She jumped, a broad smile spreading across her dirt and dust covered face.
"I think there's more to this Hobbit than meets the eye," Gandalf said gruffly.
Frodo, still gulping in air, quickly opened the top button of his shirt, revealing a Hobbit-sized Mithril shirt.
"You are full of surprises, Master Baggins," Gimli said, a soft smile on his face.
All too soon a fresh wave of drum-beats broke through the mine causing Gandalf to stop the moment in it's tracks, "Quickly. To the bridge of Khazad-dum."

The adrenalin-filled group ran from the room and through the halls. As fast as they ran, they found themselves surrounded by a terrifyingly large mixture of Orcs and Goblins. A light lit at the end of the hall, as if an enormous fire had erupted. Every being present turned their head in the direction as the 'fire' gave a bellowing roar. The sea of enemies around the Fellowship seemed to shift, heads turning in nervousness. Another roar broke from the end of the hall, closer this time. The sea started to disintegrate, Orcs and Goblins scampering in every possible direction away from the 'fire'. After they were gone, Gandalf bid the group to continue running.

Another roar erupted, even closer by.
"What is this new devilry?" Boromir asked, panic in his voice.
Faelwen laughed, a higher pitch than before, as she ran at the front of the group, nearby Legolas, "What do they teach children these days? It's a Balrog."
Gandalf elaborated, "A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run!"
They came to a long set of winding, broken stares. The two Elves immediately jumped the gap, followed by Gandalf. Boromir threw over Merry and Pippin before jumping himself. More of the bridge crumbled, leaving Frodo, Aragorn and Gimli further away. The Dwarf refused help from Aragorn, attempting the large jump on his own. His feet landed on the very edge of a step, tipping backwards into the darkness. Legolas arm shot forward, gripping the end of Gimli's beard and pulling him to safety. A smile broke across Legolas face as he saw the dwarf squirm from the slight pain of having his hair pulled, shouting, "Not the beard!". Without realizing, Legolas turned to Faelwen, sharing his smile. Both of them turned away as they heard more of the bridge crumble away. They looked to see Aragorn and Frodo standing on a perilously tilting fragment of staircase.
"Lean forward!" Aragorn yelled, trying hs best to sound confident to ease the panic on the Hobbit's face.
Frodo did what the Ranger said, allowing the staircases to crash together. Legolas caught the Ranger as Faelwen caught Frodo. The group took off again, running as fast as the steep stairs would allow, toward the narrow bridge ahead. As they reached it's edge, an enormous fiery foot crashed through the wall behind them.

Boromir and Legolas lead the Hobbits across the bridge, waiting behind some stray boulder on the other side for the rest of the Fellowship. The monster burst fully from the cavern behind them, it's appearance not unlike a gigantic fiery-winged minotaur, whip of flames in hand. Aragorn took one look at the determination on Gandalf's face before taking off across the bridge. Faelwen however stood beside the Wizard.
"If I fight with you, we can destroy it," She said, a steely look in her eyes.
Gandalf looked at her, "Go. I believe, as you said before, that it isn't worth risking everyone's lives. I will face the demon."
The Elf took his shoulder gently, "I take back my harsh words, Gandalf the Grey. You are a strong man."
Without another word, Faelwen ran across the crumbling stone of the bridge. Gandalf followed her for only half it's length.

Gandalf turned, sword and staff in hand, "You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!"
The Balrog stepped forward, cracking it's whip and baring it blackened and burned teeth. Frodo began to shout, despair spreading across his face. Aragorn wrapped his arms around the Hobbit, stopping him from running back to Gandalf's side.
"Go back to the shadow," Gandalf bellowed.
The beast took another step forward, the bridge crumbled slightly under its feet. Faelwen turned away from Frodo's display, knowing that she would get blamed for his actions, having left Gandalf alone.
"You shall not PASS!" Gandalf yelled, raised his sword and staff, bringing them down together.
The bridge disintegrated under the Balrog as it tried to step forward. Gandalf turned to the Fellowship, tired relief evident on his face. A loud crack broke from the chasm below the bridge. The Balrog's whip stretched up, wrapping tightly around Gandalf's ankle and pulling him to hang from the narrow and crumbling ledge.
Panic rang through Gandalf's whispered words, "Fly, you fools!"
Frodo screamed. Aragorn dragged him up the steep incline to the exit. The other Hobbits cried, being pushed and prodded along by their grieving companions.
Gandalf had fallen.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3's to my subscribers (Though you COULD be commenterererers) ;D