Through the Motions

Day.01

Carrine Shepard stood out in crowds. She was not a woman of remarkable beauty; rather, she was a battle-rugged woman who chose to let scars decorate her face instead of make up, short cropped hair that would never stay in one place, and little to no curves, having a body of pure muscle from years of Alliance and N7 training. She would glower at everyone, daring them to even come close to her if they didn't recognize her.

She didn't hate everyone, but she was highly mistrustful of nearly all the organic species she crossed, and would also shoot the non-organic ones before trying to negotiate with them. Nothing else worked quite like a bullet to the foot.

The only reason she was waiting at the port was because Anderson asked her personally to join his crew, and, as she saw it, she can't tell the man no. He adopted her in all but writing after Mindoir, got her away from the alcohol, and inspired her to join the Alliance. He was the reason she got into the N7 program, because her attitude toward any other human being was rarely more than a curt, forced politeness and it held her back.

Just as she was contemplating playing with her new sniper rifle to see how many asari she could terrify, her transportation showed up. An elderly woman, most likely the ship's medic, and a tall, dark-haird Marine stepped out of the Rapid Transit car.

"Commander Shepard?" the woman said, approaching with a smile. Carrine straightened and saluted. "At ease, soldier. No need to salute this old woman. I am Dr. Chakwas, and this young man is Lt. Alenko. We will be serving with you on the Normandy."

Carrine shook the hand that had been offered to her. "It will be a pleasure to serve with you, Dr., Lt." She released Chakwas's hand and cleared her throat. "No offense, but the sooner we're clear of this damn crowd, the happier I'll be."

The doctor laughed, grey hair falling back off her face. "Oh do I agree with you. Alenko, take us away."

"Yes ma'am," came the reply. Carrine helped the doctor into the car while the Lt. programmed it to take them back to the ship. She shut the door behind her as she got in. "So, Commander...why are you of all people joining us on the Normandy?"

"None of your damn business," came the short reply. She had no interest in making small talk with anyone until she had at least seen Anderson. This man, for some reason, unnerved her and she refused to let an inch of her guard down until she spoke to Anderson about him.