Status: new year, new story. :)

Growing Up

chapter one

Summer: every high school student loves it. Whether it’s because it means late night parties or lounging around home doing absolutely nothing in your favourite pyjamas. No matter who you were, Summer Break was the highlight of you school years.

Every year since we were newbie middle school students, our grade threw a humongous party that everyone was invited to and nearly everyone showed. We threw our differences out the window, clambered out to the party spot (wherever was designated that year) and partied until the sun came up.

The whole class was pumping with anxiousness watching the last seconds of school tick down on the clock. I watched as the hand slowly approached the 12 and tapped my foot impatiently. It neared 10 and everyone lifted up from their seats slightly. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Everyone shot from their seats and rushed out the door. I was swept away with the crowd and lost in the mass of bodies and paper. Shouts filled the halls and the floor was littered with books and assorted old assignments.

“Alek!”

I whipped my head around to see who was calling my name. My friend Joel pushed through the barrier of bodies towards me, grinning like a maniac.

“Joel!”

He enveloped me into a hug and then pulled me through the crowd to the school exit. His arm was slung around my shoulders and mind was wrapped around his tiny waist.

“You ready to party, Junior?” he asked, grinning down at me.

“Not Junior no more! Officially Senior. And yes I am.”

“Not just yet. The other Seniors haven’t graduated yet. You’ll be a Senior in five days.”

I shoved him playfully as we approached his car and got into the hot vehicle. He immediately turned on the AC, cooling us down from the Arizona heat.

“So where’s the party tonight?” I asked him, fiddling with the radio, attempting to find a station I liked.

“Umm, Louis place. I think. His ‘rents are gone and you know how big that kids place is. Should be fun.”

I nodded and fiddled with the radio some more before a song I liked came from the speakers. I turned it up and rolled down my window, letting my arm hang out. The wind blew my hair all around my face and Joel teased me about it before I slapped his bare arm.

It was finally Summer and life was good. There was only one year standing between me and the rest of the world now. I was going to make the most of my Summer, enjoy the time with my friend, and party. And it all started with the party tonight.